Best Axl Stories

This is by far the best Axl story I've ever read

"It was the day before the gear was supposed to leave... The crew had been there since 8 in the morning, setting up. They have to break it down and the gear has to leave, literally the next morning. ...We rehearsed the set, two and half hours... It's probably 3 in the morning, now. Axl calls from Malibu. He's coming. And he wants to see the whole set again. He wants to watch the show. Everybody's like, OK.

...We're on this big soundstage and [they bring] a little couch next to the soundboard, right in front of the sound guy... Well, an hour goes by. 'Is he REALLY coming?' The road crew, everybody's asleep by now, next to their gear. 'Yeah, he wants to come, but the problem is, he wants to see the WHOLE show, pyro and everything.

So, we're like, 'Wait. I think, each time the pyro guy hits the fuckin' thing, it's like $300,000 for each bomb that's gonna go up. But, we're going to do it on this soundstage, and in order to make that happen, they got to get the fire department down here.' Now the fire department comes down, but I think they're digging it. They're thinking, 'I get to watch Guns N' Roses rehearse, so whatever.' They show up.

Now, it's probably 5AM... We're playing [the set], we've been up since 12 o'clock, the road crew has been up since 8AM, for 24 hours. [Axl's]'s in the chair with his arms crossed, just watching. Bombs, fireworks, everything's fuckin' going off... I'm playing November Rain. They have the curtain of sparks bouncing off my cymbals, burning my face, getting on my shorts and shit like that. The door opens - it's DAYLIGHT! You see people coming to work.

We end with Paradise City, doing the fuckin' shuffle thing [in the last part of the song], they blew the confetti shit... And dude, I'm not joking, it's like 7.30/8 in the morning. It's the most surreal moment. In my mind, I'm just going, 'Who's gotta fuckin' clean the confetti? What are we doing? Some poor guy has to sweep fuckin' six inches of confetti.'

We hit the last note. [Axl] gets up, walks out. Never said a word, didn't see him. We just get up, everybody goes home and the next time we saw him was in Rock in Rio. That's sort of Guns in a nutshell. The chaos and what happens." (Brain, I'd Hit That, 02/15)

What's yours?

• Like 1

I remember reading this last year, It was pretty bad. It was disrespectful to the crew and even the band members, its like the chairman of the company shows up for a meeting 6 hours late at 5 am, see's the presentation, says no word and just leaves. 

There was another one that Axl during the NuGNR era that hardly showed up to the studio, but used to call everyday, the guys used to keep on waiting, but he never use to show up.

So much time was wasted, so much talented wasted. I feel bad for Josh Freese, poor guy worked his ass off in the studio for 2 years and couldn't even perform at Rio 2001. 

I know a guy who's brother (this is all allegedly...although I know it's his line of work) took a job in LA to help produce an album for a "major" artist.  Well he was hired by Axl ...and nothing happened.  They would all sit around the pool at Axl's house and just party day after day...drink and BBQ and hang by the pool.  Now he was on contract and so he was being paid (fairly well).  After 6 months or so of doing nothing he walked away/quit.  This guy wanted to actually work/produce/do what he does.  He said it was just wasted time for everyone.  This was (again allegedly) mid to late 1990's.

Edited by Original

In 1997 Todd Sullivan, who was then a talent executive for the company, sent Mr. Rose a sampling of CD's produced by different people, and encouraged him to choose one to work on ''Chinese Democracy.'' Mr. Sullivan says he received a call informing him that Mr. Rose had run over the albums with a car.

The singer had encouraged everyone in the band's camp to record their ideas for riffs and jams, hours and hours of song fragments that he hoped to process into full compositions. ''Most of the stuff he had played me was just sketches,'' Mr. Sullivan recalled. ''I said, 'Look, Axl, this is some really great, promising stuff here. Why don't you consider just bearing down and completing some of these songs?' He goes, 'Hmm, bear down and complete some of these songs?' Next day I get a call from Eddie'' -- Eddie Rosenblatt, the Geffen chairman -- ''saying I was off the project.''

Axl is the ultimate hooray for tolerance!

Edited by Axl owns dexter

I liked the one in, I think Rolling Stone, in 1999. They was an article about Axl (which seems random, in 1999, maybe they were planning something?) that starts with all his friends gathered at a restaurant for his birthday party, only to get the expected call after a couple of hours that Axl wouldn't be showing.  

• Like 2

The best (most interesting) stories I suppose are always going to be the more out there ones but there are a lot of best (nice) ones like the bullied waitress from the other week who had an all expenses trip to a show with her family.

I also remember one from years back about a family who got an all expenses paid visit to a big party at his house, I can't remember the exact details but it was Xmas/Easter/Halloween and she might have had an ill child or something - I think she did a write up on her experience, not sure if it's still available online. 

In terms of wacky stories I like the un-lived NYC rental one - that's some proper rockstar money wasting! :lol:

Just now, alfierose said:

In terms of wacky stories I like the un-lived NYC rental one - that's some proper rockstar money wasting! :lol:

That was really a big wastage of money. 

NY is a very expensive city, so accommodating some GNR fans for a few days would have been a nice thing....

Just now, Slash787 said:

That was really a big wastage of money. 

NY is a very expensive city, so accommodating some GNR fans for a few days would have been a nice thing....

Think it was a penthouse too. If I'd known at the time I could have squatted and he would never have known! :lol:

9 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Think it was a penthouse too. If I'd known at the time I could have squatted and he would never have known! :lol:

He rented it for 2 years and only went to the apartment 2 times before renting it, he never stepped a foot when he rented it......

This was posted in an old thread by rockerman

"Damn... my rentals in Colorado and Wyoming go for 1000.00 a month for 1000 square feet so the rent on that place in New York City at 5600 sq feet has go for $10- 15,000.00 at least! simple math here: say 10,000 at miniumx12 = $120,000 a year x 2 =$240,000"

and he rented this apartment between 2011 to 2013. What should I say? Poor Pitman.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

He rented it for 2 years and only went to the apartment 2 times before renting it, he never stepped a foot when he rented it......

This was posted in an old thread by rockerman

"Damn... my rentals in Colorado and Wyoming go for 1000.00 a month for 1000 square feet so the rent on that place in New York City at 5600 sq feet has go for $10- 15,000.00 at least! simple math here: say 10,000 at miniumx12 = $120,000 a year x 2 =$240,000"

and he rented this apartment between 2011 to 2013. What should I say? Poor Pitman.....

Axl: "I'd love to pay you.... I really would, but I have this apartment I've never stepped foot in that I pay rent on for basically your yearly salary... "

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mendez said:

From Sebastian Bach:

When we were first hanging out in 2006, we were just standing around a bunch of people. I go, 'Axl, do you think you might get the record out? It would be a great time, now that we're on tour and everything.' He goes, 'Oh. Great! Everybody! Sebastian has a great idea here, man. Guess what? Sebastian, should I put out a record? Maybe it would be a good idea for me to put out a fucking record! Hey everybody, listen to this! I never thought of that! That never came to me! Oh, great idea dude.' I felt like Fred Flintstone in Mr. Slate's office.

i can totally hear that in Bach's voice! :lol:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, axlinkafayette said:

how about when he spray painted Erin Everly's garage.

What a strange relationship he had with almost all women we know about, none ended well

Turns out he didn't do that, a couple of years ago it was revealed when some artist used it in an exhibition & he took action to have it removed

http://www.tmz.com/2012/09/28/axl-rose-ex-wife-erin-everly-graffiti-message-cease-desist/

The one where he is supposed to have tied and beat his missus up, buttfucked her and then stuffed her in a closet while he entertained one of her friends that had dropped in.

The one Slash told about Axl bailing out of a moving car cause Slash asked him not to sleep on his Grandma's couch.

The one about him telling Kurt Cobain to shut his bitch up and Kurt turned to Courtney and said "shut up bitch!"

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DR DOOM said:

The one Slash told about Axl bailing out of a moving car cause Slash asked him not to sleep on his Grandma's couch.

I never understood that one.  I mean could he not just order him to pull over, it's obvious Slash shit it from him anyway. 

The one where he is supposed to have tied and beat his missus up, buttfucked her and then stuffed her in a closet while he entertained one of her friends that had dropped in.

*muffled screams from upstairs whilst Axl is chillin' in the drawing room*

GUEST: Did you hear that?

AXL: Yeah, sorry, mice.  Gives the right hump eh?  I got Rentokil comin' Monday.  Fancy another drink?

:lol:

Sorry, shouldn't take the mickey, spousal abuse is obviously an awful thing!