Best Axl Stories

27 minutes ago, Frey said:

No one knows for sure which parts to believe and which not to. Unless one of them starts talking about it. But I assume about 80-90% of the book are true or just Slash's point of view, rather than outright lies.

Slash does have a history of lying and Marc Canter said Slash lies "to make himself look cool" sometimes, but I really don't think Axl's word is that much more trustworthy than Slash's. Slash might lie more consciously, but Axl's view of the world is often so... unique that twisted, that it can't really be considered reliable either. You need to be careful with both of them. But for the record, both Slash and Duff's books are worth reading imo.

Yeah but like I said, I doubt either one of them will ever talk about which parts are lies or the truth. At least not publicly. It would cause too much drama seeing as how they have completely opposed views on pretty much everything that happened at the time, and that could potentially ruin what they've got going on at the moment. So fans are just left to assume which is what's been happening all these years anyway.

I thought it had been said before that Slash was somewhat of a liar. I just didn't know where I'd heard it and who said it. If that's the case and he's lied "to make himself look cool", then who's to say he wouldn't lie to gain public sympathy by telling stories that paint Axl as the bad guy, which is something Axl has also accused him of.

10 hours ago, Frey said:

Slash does have a history of lying and Marc Canter said Slash lies "to make himself look cool" sometimes, but I really don't think Axl's word is that much more trustworthy than Slash's. Slash might lie more consciously, but Axl's view of the world is often so... unique that twisted, that it can't really be considered reliable either. You need to be careful with both of them. But for the record, both Slash and Duff's books are worth reading imo.

Agree with you. Can`t cope with people who say that Axl is 100% honest and Slash 100% liar ... they are both something inbetween.  And i think all biographies are not 100% telling the truth. Even if Axl is writing his book, there will not be 100% honesty in it ...

That sentence from Marc kinda hurted Slash a lot in this forum. As you write, Marc said that Slash sometimes lied to make himself look more cool. But some people are using Marcs 'Slash lies sometimes' everytime here, doesnt matter which subject, making it like Slash lies all the time and we have to believe it because Marc said it ... but thats not what Marc said or meant ...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, tiutso said:

For anyone who's not on Reddit, today this was posted in the comments of a thread about allegedly real stories that sounds like outright lies:

"similar vein to musicians, not me, but my dad always tells this story.

My parents used to be part of a bowling league in Lafayette (they both went to purdue) and Axel rose used to come in a lot. He was born in Indiana and still living there at the time, I think this was the late 70's or early 80's (so he would have been in his 20's?) and before he was part of guns and roses. My dad said the dude was kind of annoying and always having issues with the police for stupid shit, kind of seen as a deadbeat. Well one time he was at the bowling place and sitting/talking with my dads group for a bit, after he got up he went to the bar and ordered either a bunch of food or drinks and told the bartender my dad had said "it was on him". He bounces without saying bye and later my dad gets the bill with all this shit on it. Every time my dad saw him after that Axl would always have some shit excuse for paying him back, why he did it, and that he would pay him back plus more at another time, it became a running joke, my dad said they would always be like "hey W, I'm increasing the vig if you dont pay, or you can make payments if you need to", always blowing him shit.

I think my dad said something about everyone just calling him "W", as his birth name was William/billy and he didn't start going by "Axl" until in bands".
So anyway fast forward to the late 80's and my parents still bowled from time to time. G&R was getting huge and one night the entire band comes into the bowling alley, I think they were playing in Indy the next day and decided to stop back. Well my dad wanted his fucking money, goes up to them and Axl remembers him, asks how it's going and what not. So my dad kind of jokingly busts his balls for not paying him back, axl flat out denies it, but it was such a half assed "nah bro, that aint me" type of denial.

So the night goes on, everyone wanting autographs, place is packed, everyone's drinking, my dad still blowing axl shit and I guess the band is making fun of Axl at this point too, my dads also still calling him W and Axl was getting pissed, making everyone make fun of Axl even more. So anyway Axl gets up and tells my dad that if he can beat him in a game of bowling he will give him $100 on this supposed tab he left on my dad to pay. I think my dad said he was pretty trashed, and my dad's pretty good at bowling (always in the mid 200's), so says sure.
So Axl gets up and gutter balls the first roll, like bad. Next one same thing, said he looked dizzy and basically threw it in the gutter, like didn't even get halfway down the lane. So the band and everyone else around is dying laughing and I guess Axl was getting mad, so he said something like he needs everyone to be quiet so he can concentrate. So one of the other band members does a super sarcastic "shhhh guys, he needs to conectrate" while laughing, so they all get quite and he fucking throws a strike. No worries must be luck, another strike, then another. Axl rose, hammered, proceeded to throw all strikes, one spare and then three strikes to close it out. Ended up almost getting a 250, dad had 230 and lost."

15 minutes ago, Chinaski said:

I feel like Izzy has told a story about the first time he ever saw Axl where he heard a massive crash and then saw this ginger blur being chased down the corridor by a bunch of teachers.

Imagining Izzy open His locker or something N' hearing loud crash N' saw kid around His age being chased by teachers wonder what happens after that, N' I want to hear the story of how They become friend

Edited by SerenityScorp

17 minutes ago, SerenityScorp said:

Imagining Izzy open His locker or something N' hearing loud crash N' saw kid around His age being chased by teachers wonder what happens after that, N' I want to hear the story of how They become friend

I believe that was the story of Steven and Slash becoming friends. I can't remember where I saw it, but I think Axl and Izzy met in a defensive driving class, then played in a garage band together, where Axl was afraid to sing, and Izzy had to convince him.  I'll see if I can find that interview.

Ah. Here.

Izzy, first meeting: I remember, the first day at school there was this big fucking commotion. I heard all these books hit the ground, yelling, and then [Axl] went running past. A bunch of fucking teachers chasing him down the hallway...[Classic Rock, 2001].

Izzy: I thought, well, here's a guy who's completely crazy, he'd be a fucking great singer. We had to coax him a bit [and] it didn't go so well in the early days. Sometimes he would just come over and stand around, like he was embarrassed. Or he'd start to sing and then he'd just leave. Walk out and I wouldn't see him again for like three days! Some things didn't change, huh? [Classic Rock, 2001].

Izzy: I met Axl in drivers' ed. We were long-haired guys in high school. You were either a jock or a stoner. We weren't jocks, so we ended up hanging out together. We'd play covers in the garage. There were no clubs to play at, so we never made it out of the garage. Axl was really shy about singing back then. But I always knew he was a singer [117 Degrees, biography and info, 1998].

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Since where did spraypaint have handwriting? :lol:

Even with spraypaint people tend to write letters the same way they do when writing by hand. If someone usually writes rounded As for example, they're usually not going to spraypaint sharp pointed ones if they're just trying to write something and not go for a certain font style. At least that's the way it is with me and a couple of other people I know, but I assume this applies to most people. If you know what Axl's handwriting looks like, it's pretty obvious he didn't spraypaint that message.

As people are talking about Dave Grohl, I remembered this story.

There was an interview by Josh Freese or Brain that Axl wanted them to sound like the drumming which Dave Grohl did in Smells like Teen Spirit on Chinese Democracy song. 

They had to record it like 50 times, but still they din't get that beat which Axl wanted. 

"When I started with them I said, 'I'm going to work three days a week,' and they said, 'four.' Well, they said, 'five,' I said, 'three,' they said, 'four,' we compromised." (Josh Freese, Launch, 05/20/00)

"The first year ('98) I was there five nights a week, I'd drive from Long Beach up to the Valley. 9-10 at night and worked until 4, 5, 6 in the morning... I was playing records and doing sessions during the day, and then going there at night to do his thing." (Josh Freese, PodAMatic, 04/13) 

"Every few months, say sources, somebody, if not everybody, would get fired - at least management could step in and resolve the issue.

'[Axl]'d be 'on' for a couple of weeks and then 'off' for a couple weeks', recalls Dave Dominguez, an engineer who started the sessions with Rose in the late nineties.  'He called in pretty much every day, though. He'd ask who was there, what they were doing. 

He'd say to tell them that, 
'I'm coming in, I'll be there in a while.
I'd tell the band, 'Axl called and said he's coming in.

[Oftentimes,] he'd never show up... [but when he did, Axl] would show up at 2AM, [or] 2.30AM, and no one would be around, he'd get upset.

'Where are they?
'I don't know, they all left.

Then he'd call the next day. 
'Who's there?
'Just Josh.
'OK, have everybody leave. Have them break everything down. We're done.

...It took two days to break the room down because he fired everybody.'"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slash787 said:

"When I started with them I said, 'I'm going to work three days a week,' and they said, 'four.' Well, they said, 'five,' I said, 'three,' they said, 'four,' we compromised." (Josh Freese, Launch, 05/20/00)

"The first year ('98) I was there five nights a week, I'd drive from Long Beach up to the Valley. 9-10 at night and worked until 4, 5, 6 in the morning... I was playing records and doing sessions during the day, and then going there at night to do his thing." (Josh Freese, PodAMatic, 04/13) 

"Every few months, say sources, somebody, if not everybody, would get fired - at least management could step in and resolve the issue.

'[Axl]'d be 'on' for a couple of weeks and then 'off' for a couple weeks', recalls Dave Dominguez, an engineer who started the sessions with Rose in the late nineties.  'He called in pretty much every day, though. He'd ask who was there, what they were doing. 

He'd say to tell them that, 
'I'm coming in, I'll be there in a while.
I'd tell the band, 'Axl called and said he's coming in.

[Oftentimes,] he'd never show up... [but when he did, Axl] would show up at 2AM, [or] 2.30AM, and no one would be around, he'd get upset.

'Where are they?
'I don't know, they all left.

Then he'd call the next day. 
'Who's there?
'Just Josh.
'OK, have everybody leave. Have them break everything down. We're done.

...It took two days to break the room down because he fired everybody.'"

megalomaniac behaviour 

It was Brain and not Josh Freese for the Smells like Teen spirit part.

"The first task set to [Zutaut] by [Axl] was to help with the drum sound for [the Chinese Democrary track, written by Freese]. Axl had told the studio guys that he wanted the same drum sound as Dave Grohl on Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. The production crew would claim they had it, but Axl wouldn't be satisfied.

After hearing the [CD recording] for himself, Zutaut agreed with Axl. He took a break and went to the local Tower Records, where he bought a copy of Nevermind. Back in the studio, [Zutaut, Baker and the studio engineer Caram Costanzo] compared [Smells Like Teens Spirit and CD] and set to work making the GNR drummer sound exactly like Grohl." (Classic Rock, 04/08) 

"Everything would be dropped off to [Axl on CD]... There'd be a runner ready to go right when we were done at midnight, to bring it to his house in Malibu.'" (Brain, I'd Hit That, 02/15)

"[The discs could have ] 16 or more takes of a musician performing his part of a single song." (New York Times, 03/06/05)

"[Axl] would call Zutaut or RTB and go through what he liked and what he didn't like." (Classic Rock, 04/08) 

"We'd wait about 35-40 minutes until it got there and get the call. 'Yeah, this is cool', or, 'No, we gotta change something or whatever.'" (Brain, I'd Hit That, 02/15)

"Axl: 'I've been only asking that for, like, six fucking months!"  

• Like 1

On 9/17/2016 at 6:49 PM, xBrownstonex said:

Here is that interview with brain from the original post. At Around 39mins they start talking about buckethead, which is just fucking funny, and from then it goes into guns (56mins)

Near the end of this podcast Brain tells this cool little story about how he knew Axl was very serious about his music.

31 minutes ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

Visiting Duff in the hospital when Duff was in the hospital for some reason.  I don't know the specifics of the story.  I want to say it was after the UYI and before the 97 break-up.  I want to say Duff was surprised Axl came to see him

His pancreas exploded. It was 1994

On 9/18/2016 at 6:19 AM, Liquor & Whores said:

BBF says something opposite that Axl was called 'shank' @ 5:15

Holy shit it just occurred to me listening to this that Bumble sounds just like Larry David!  "yeah my time in GNR was pretty, pretty, pretty good"

• Like 1