New Review Channel

Hi Gunners,

I have been following this site on and off for 14 years now (no pun intended). After many email changes and password losses I have created a new account. I formerly went by "where's izzy?"

Anyway, I have also begun a new Youtube channel that is going to feature reviews. I wanted to share it with you guys to see if you like it and if you have any feedback. My first video is about Stranger Things and I hope to have another one up soon as well.

The name was slightly GNR inspired.

Million And One Reviews

Edited by wondering where's izzy?
forgot sentence

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Hey mate, I just watched it and I totally agree with what you said, just fyi.

Here's my review of your review and a few questions:

-Keep up the pleasant low-key vibe, I always hate how loud and obnoxious YouTubers usually get but you seem like a nice/normal human so kudos for that. 

-You spoke well but the sound/mic could be a little bit better as it sounded like a slightly echoey room, I dunno, that's a very minor gripe and my only real complaint.

-I like that you describe the show without getting too specific or giving away spoilers. It didn't feel like you were just reading the back of the box, you gave a rundown of things but then gave your own insights about the whole 80's vibe they're going for(which I happen to agree with) without being overbearing and I think you would have convinced me to try it out, if I hadn't already binged the whole season! Sometimes I feel like reviewers try too hard and go out of their way to sound clever or get the upper hand, for example there was this old review I read of Eyes Wide Shut and the reviewer deducted points because the city "wasn't enough like New York" LOL. If he was just joking and being a smartass then okay but he was actually being totally serious and marked it down, despite the fact that that is totally irrelevant and in no way important to the movie. 

-Personally, I'm a bit on the fence about ratings because on one hand they're sort of a useful indicator but on the other they're almost totally meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Maybe lose the rating system entirely or replace it with a less specific one(there's a pretty good youtube reviewer, Jeremy Jahns, who says at the end basically "this is shit" or "it's okay if you're drunk" or "you should definitely watch this and alcohol is not required").

Are you planning on doing more reviews? how often? Specifically just TV shows or other stuff too?

Overall I'd give your review a 4.7/5 :headbang:

I can't remember my youtube login, I'll like and subscribe sometime later

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks a lot for the review and the welcome. I've hung around this site since around 2002-03 during the first Chinese Democracy tour. I used to be where's izzy?

I do plan on doing more reviews, mostly about movies. I will be posting a new one this week.

As far as the sound goes, I do not have a pro mic (I may look into them) but the sound quality will improve in subsequent videos as I practice with different techniques. I hear what your saying about reviewers being loud and overbearing, I can't stand when they stare at the screen and do quick cuts and all that mess, we don't care about their stupid faces. My favorite reviewers are RedLetterMedia.

I will post another link when my second review is up. Thank you so much for checking it out!

• 2 weeks later...

oldest goat is THE BEST! :)

On 9/21/2016 at 6:57 AM, Oldest Goat said:

Hey mate, I just watched it and I totally agree with what you said, just fyi.

Here's my review of your review and a few questions:

-Keep up the pleasant low-key vibe, I always hate how loud and obnoxious YouTubers usually get but you seem like a nice/normal human so kudos for that. 

-You spoke well but the sound/mic could be a little bit better as it sounded like a slightly echoey room, I dunno, that's a very minor gripe and my only real complaint.

-I like that you describe the show without getting too specific or giving away spoilers. It didn't feel like you were just reading the back of the box, you gave a rundown of things but then gave your own insights about the whole 80's vibe they're going for(which I happen to agree with) without being overbearing and I think you would have convinced me to try it out, if I hadn't already binged the whole season! Sometimes I feel like reviewers try too hard and go out of their way to sound clever or get the upper hand, for example there was this old review I read of Eyes Wide Shut and the reviewer deducted points because the city "wasn't enough like New York" LOL. If he was just joking and being a smartass then okay but he was actually being totally serious and marked it down, despite the fact that that is totally irrelevant and in no way important to the movie. 

-Personally, I'm a bit on the fence about ratings because on one hand they're sort of a useful indicator but on the other they're almost totally meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Maybe lose the rating system entirely or replace it with a less specific one(there's a pretty good youtube reviewer, Jeremy Jahns, who says at the end basically "this is shit" or "it's okay if you're drunk" or "you should definitely watch this and alcohol is not required").

Are you planning on doing more reviews? how often? Specifically just TV shows or other stuff too?

Overall I'd give your review a 4.7/5 :headbang:

I can't remember my youtube login, I'll like and subscribe sometime later

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

oldest goat is just THE BEST! and yes welcome :)