Guns N Roses' 'Use Your Illusion': A Look Back at Izzy Stradlin's Contributions

1 hour ago, downliner said:

Haha I thought the exact same thing when reading the article as so many others. PTU is a great song :headbang: Lyrically it's quite biographical too, there's quite a few lines in the song which Izzy has referenced in interviews, eg.....

"I just found a million dollars which someone forgot"

"pretty tied up"

love love love Pretty Tied Up and this makes me love it more :headbang:

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Lol. I love Izzy, but he turned in shit songs that Axl and Slash had to work up into the songs on the album. Slash, has stated numerous times on record that Izzy was content with basic tracks; essentially demos. Izzy never had an interest in what it takes to be global band, which is why I always find the Kieth Richards comparisons empty, because Kieth knows. Izzy doesn't give a shut and that's fucking cool for that era of GNR, but to evolve and grow he had to leave.

The band hasn't evolved since Izzy left in fact GNR has been less productive and his songs were still great material to work on, at least he brought ideas and cool riffs and guitar parts

• Like 3

1 hour ago, starlight said:

The band hasn't evolved since Izzy left in fact GNR has been less productive and his songs were still great material to work on, at least he brought ideas and cool riffs and guitar parts

Very true, he is a very talented musician. 

GNR is a band where all of them needed each other, one gone and its just not the same. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Lol. I love Izzy, but he turned in shit songs that Axl and Slash had to work up into the songs on the album. Slash, has stated numerous times on record that Izzy was content with basic tracks; essentially demos. Izzy never had an interest in what it takes to be global band, which is why I always find the Kieth Richards comparisons empty, because Kieth knows. Izzy doesn't give a shut and that's fucking cool for that era of GNR, but to evolve and grow he had to leave.

Go on, tell us about the groth & evolution of gunners after Izzy left. 

FFS :facepalm:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Guns N' Roses - featuring Axl, Slash, and Duff as it were - have not released a single note of 'Guns N' Roses music' since Izzy left!! Where is this ''evolution and growth'' you discuss then? All the band did after finishing the Illusion tour was bicker, sit around in an expensive studio, bicker again, before quitting. Literally fuck all happened after 1993 sans a lousy Stones cover and decades of litigation!!

Evolution and growth then?

Unless you mean Snakepit and Chinese Democracy haha?

7 hours ago, downliner said:

Haha I thought the exact same thing when reading the article as so many others. PTU is a great song :headbang: Lyrically it's quite biographical too, there's quite a few lines in the song which Izzy has referenced in interviews, eg.....

"pretty tied up"

I think he told a story once about finding a cheque for nine hundred thousand dollars that had been in his pocket for months, or something along those lines, I can't quite remember.

7 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Shit songs? Evolve and grow? I just laughed my ass off. By the way even Duff says in his book they were not able to write the same way they used to without Izzy. It really was a serious problem.

9 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Alright, then. Do Shadow Of Your Love, It Tastes Good, Don't It? and Sentimental Movie count?

Why do you think I said etc.?  My entire point was that they had songs previously. So from that 1990 quote, Axl said that Izzy brought 8 songs, Slash brought a full album, and Axl brought a full album. Is there a possibility that there are songs that we don't know about?  

Edited by Draguns

9 hours ago, Reclamation Project said:

The Garden was written before Appetite also. 

I wish Crash Diet was on UYI II. Put it after You Could Be Mine, let Slash rip it up on the same BC Rich, and dump rubbish My World. 

Likewise. That song should have been on UYI. 

10 hours ago, downliner said:

"pretty tied up"

I love Pretty Tied Up. It has one of the best lyrical lines in GN'R history: 

"Once there was this rock and roll band rollin' on the streets. Time went by and it became a joke!"

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mendez said:

Dizzy made it a dud when he jerked all over the song with his shitty rock saloon piano playing

The saloon was in Liberace's outhouse. Drinking Coffin Varnish there inspired Axl to sneak grating keys onto multiple UYI tracks--injecting rotgut into badass rockers.  Or, as Izzy put it:

"On Illusion I did the basic tracks, then [Slash] did his tracks, like a month or two by himself. Then came Axl's vocal parts. I went back to Indiana. I'd been around for rehearsals, learning the songs and all that stuff. I didn't really listen to the record until it was out. When I finally did hear it, it was what I expected: The guitars were basically buried."