Chinese Democracy: Finally giving it a chance

Axl Roses Future Wife

13 minutes ago, Kira said:

I like most of the album, minus Sorry.  To me, it doesn't matter that it doesn't sound like GnR.  I mean, parts of it do.  And when it came out, I just really wanted to hear Axl's vocals again. 

So you like Riad and Scraped? 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2016 at 2:25 PM, Slash787 said:

When this album came out, I got a funny feeling that there's something wrong today, I got another funny feeling and it just din't go away.

But I went to the the store and asked if there is Chinese Democracy available and the sales person said it don't really matter you're gonna find it out yourself, it don't really matter, i'm gonna give this album to somebody else. 

So I said Ay ooo Don't you try to stop me, Ay ooo, You can't refuse, Ay ooo, don't you try to stop me now, cause I won't let you.

So she told me to forgive her if her intentions were misunderstood and told me to be kind, she said she saw the damage in me (cause most prob. I was asking for CD.) Then she started to say what if she told me she is to blame and what would I do if I had to deny her name and what if she told me she loved me and I then I walked away. 

I was like I won't be told anymore, cause iv'e been waiting for this album for so long, I can't find my way back to any other store. For the many times, this album seemed like a memory, ive searched and found the leaks, Oh I found the ways, Oh why it had to be, Axl's own denial and so afraid. 

She said that she knows me better and i should know that I am better? and now she knows better. 

I was like Ok thank you.....I don't want to do eet and Im sorry for you and not sorry for me.

So then I came out of the store and I was walking on the street of dreams, this same street is also called the blues and I have no idea why, then I saw some broken glass and cigarettes with some writing on the wall, I thought I finally bought CD so it was a bargain for the summer and I thought I had it all, but it was a long for you, it was a long time for me, it was a long time for everyone. 

Then I saw this fat kid with Glasses who had this book Catcher In the Rye in his hand and I guess he was waiting for someone, So i went up to him asked who is he waiting for , so he started to say when all is said and done, we're not the only ones, who look at life this way, that's what John Lennon says, But every time I see him, makes me wish I had a gun, If I thought that I was crazy, Well I guess I'd have more fun.

I said you don't have to think, YOU ARE FUCKING CRAZY. I told him If the world end today then all the dreams he had would all just drift away, so I handed over the album to him and told him Listen mother fucker to this album which should be heard, thrown down in the gutter, its more than you deserve, what can I do? with a bitch like you. 

He had a CD player with him, so he put the CD in that and started to listen, I just started to walk away towards the shore cause I couldn't find my way back anymore, then I heard a gunshot, then I thought All the love in the world couldn't save him, all the innocence inside, so hard I tried to change him, oh to change him his mind. 

This is better than awesome. You win at a life.

• Like 2

I like CD. It did take me a while to get into it. I pretty much had Appetite on repeat with a few listens to the UYI albums tossed in for fun when I sat down to listen to CD. That first listen... it did not go well to say the least. Completely not what I was expecting. I didn't listen to the leaks like some on the board did. I was going into it completely blind.  I don't think I listened to a single song all the way through on my first listen. The layering of Axl's vocals caused instant cringing- it was just so different and not what I was expecting. 

However, I know myself. I never like music the first time I hear it. The only music that I don't dislike right off the bat is music that is so generic that it hops on to a pathway in my brain that another very similar song has already created. Or it has been playing in the background and I have subconsciously heard it a multiple times already. The deep cuts on Illusions got that same immediate reaction from me the first time I heard them.

Once I got past that first impression I found I really like CD. I know a lot of people hate all the layers, but I love it. There is so much to hear and listen to on this album. I listen to CD more than any other album. It is my go to music for when I need to block out everything to concentrate on a task that is complex, but doesn't really require a whole lot of brain power. The music stops my mind from wandering and keeps me focused since I can split my attention between listening and my task.

I rate Street of Dreams and Better a little lower than other CD fans do.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Axl went so deep with this one it hurts.

He sure did. I think that's why I like it so much. 

16 hours ago, Kira said:

I like most of the album, minus Sorry.  To me, it doesn't matter that it doesn't sound like GnR.  I mean, parts of it do.  And when it came out, I just really wanted to hear Axl's vocals again. 

Thanks Kira! You definitely have to listen to it with no previous GNR expectations. 

9 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

I like CD. It did take me a while to get into it. I pretty much had Appetite on repeat with a few listens to the UYI albums tossed in for fun when I sat down to listen to CD. That first listen... it did not go well to say the least. Completely not what I was expecting. I didn't listen to the leaks like some on the board did. I was going into it completely blind.  I don't think I listened to a single song all the way through on my first listen. The layering of Axl's vocals caused instant cringing- it was just so different and not what I was expecting. 

However, I know myself. I never like music the first time I hear it. The only music that I don't dislike right off the bat is music that is so generic that it hops on to a pathway in my brain that another very similar song has already created. Or it has been playing in the background and I have subconsciously heard it a multiple times already. The deep cuts on Illusions got that same immediate reaction from me the first time I heard them.

Once I got past that first impression I found I really like CD. I know a lot of people hate all the layers, but I love it. There is so much to hear and listen to on this album. I listen to CD more than any other album. It is my go to music for when I need to block out everything to concentrate on a task that is complex, but doesn't really require a whole lot of brain power. The music stops my mind from wandering and keeps me focused since I can split my attention between listening and my task.

I rate Street of Dreams and Better a little lower than other CD fans do.

I love all the layers too hon! Thank you for your awesome post! It definitely took me a few times listening to the whole album to appreciate it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to whomever said to listen to this as an Axl Solo project, I did and Loved it for that. Great to hear Axl's voice in a new way, loved SOD, TWAT, CITR and TIL. But in my heart and Ears , the true G 'n R  is Axl, Slash and Duff...no substitution! :axl92:

Edited by traciij

i finally got through an entire NuGuns concert, watched it Saturday night. it was the one at the o2 arena in '12. after seeing GNR in Vegas w/Slash and Duff it gave me the strength to do this! anyway, all in all it was pretty blah IMO. Axl did not sound that good IMO but Izzy was there. i was able to identify the CD songs though so i guess that's progress :shrugs:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i finally got through an entire NuGuns concert, watched it Saturday night. it was the one at the o2 arena in '12. after seeing GNR in Vegas w/Slash and Duff it gave me the strength to do this! anyway, all in all it was pretty blah IMO. Axl did not sound that good IMO but Izzy was there. i was able to identify the CD songs though so i guess that's progress :shrugs:

you're braver than me, no way could i sit through a whole concert of NuGuns.

• Like 1

when CD came out i didn't even care much less want to hear it. later i tried listening to it but all i liked were There Was A Time and This I Love. but when i found out about the reunion w/Axl, Slash and Duff i was curious to hear what Slash would bring to some of the CD songs. and i was happy with the end result of that. i even added Better and Chinese Democracy to the songs i now liked. i still don't like Sorry and have not heard most of the songs in their entirety, just snippets because after 30 seconds or so that was all i could stand :/ but i'd say i gave it somewhat of a try :P
  • Like 1

As long as you have a good set of speakers to listen to the CD (or a lossless copy). I saw them for sale at fye over the summer - with the Best Buy sticker STILL on it, which means Axl would never see a penny of sales. I don't know if any more of the alternate covers surfaced.

I'm sure the people who had cases of ChiDem for pennies made a profit over the summer.

I think you have a lot of fans who avoided the nuGuns era, now that they're hearing Slash and Duff do the songs on change, giving it a second chance.

TBH. I think that  people dont like this album because it wasnt the actual GNR band. It was basically Axl. Because this album has points where it sounds like songs that could be on Use Your Illusions. This album is a masterpiece imo. I love every song. And I wish he would have released it under a different name or something because I really think people would enjoy this album more and love it if it wasnt a "GNR album." 

Chinese Democracy is a great album. It's lyrically very relatable and instrumentally interesting. I wouldn't call it the deepest album ever, but it's certainly one of the best albums of the 00's. But we have already discussed the album to death, so you're a little late to the party. These days only people who hate it obsessively like DieselDaisy, Maynard and Nosaj Thing tend to shit all over these threads. When ever CD is mentioned, they're usually the first one's there. We others have already said everything we had to say about the album. We're not as obsessed with the album as they are.

• 3 weeks later...