Underrated NuGN'R Peformance

As much as the current tour clearly puts things into perspective, for what it was, NuGnR was great at times...

I mean, I have very fond memories of seeing them in 2010 even though I can't wait to see the current band in Paris, hopefully next year.

I will simply refrain to compare too much, just like I did back when NuGnR were still around..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Slash787 said:

I hate it when he doesn't says What I'd tell you at the end of the song, the song just feels incomplete. 

Another reason why I loved the Philly show of 2012 was because he sang those outro lyrics. And beautifully, something that wasn't always the case.

48 minutes ago, The Glow Inc. said:

As much as the current tour clearly puts things into perspective, for what it was, NuGnR was great at times...

I mean, I have very fond memories of seeing them in 2010 even though I can't wait to see the current band in Paris, hopefully next year.

I will simply refrain to compare too much, just like I did back when NuGnR were still around..

Great post

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I think Nugnr 2006-2010 was the band at it's peak (not talking about gnrs whole career just nuGnR), 1999-2004 was a band incapable of getting its shit together

The band was at its peak 2002.

Axl was at his peak, within the Nu/NewGnr era c. 2006. All it takes is a few rehearsals, positive attitude, vocal exercises etc.

Shame it didn't come together.

I honestly think Axl didn't realise how good he had it at the time in 2002.

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I think Nugnr 2006-2010 was the band at it's peak (not talking about gnrs whole career just nuGnR), 1999-2004 was a band incapable of getting its shit together, the leader was all over the place and not really fit

The band was at its peak 2002.

Axl was at his peak, within the Nu/NewGnr era c. 2006. All it takes is a few rehearsals, positive attitude, vocal exercises etc.

Shame it didn't come together.

I honestly think Axl didn't realise how good he had it at the time in 2002. Maybe now with hindsight...

35 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I always liked this song live especially when done like this. 

Yea I thought it was awesome when I saw them play it in 2010 and 2011. In 2010 it was surprisingly one of the highlights of the show. In 2011 me and the guy beside me started chanting for it early in the set, I think after Sorry, and they played it (we were front and center). In 2012 I thought his voice was too weak for it.

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I agree, the record was pretty much ready to go by 2001, at least from whatever information we have available. 

2006-7 tour was probably supposed to build hype - It did. But the hype should have been met directly with a release in 2006, not late 2008. We can all agree on that. In saying all that, we just don't know for FACT why the release took so long when the record was practically finished 7 years before it's eventual release.

We have put it together that Axl was taking his merry time getting to the studio, but I would bet there was a LOT of back and forth between the Axl and the label, arguing how to the handle to record. I bet that the real behind the delay was just that Axl didn't believe the label would work the record the way he wanted them to, and that he was willing to wait them out until they came around... the final release of the record probably happened because the cost of waiting eventually got so much that Axl had no choice financially but to release the record, even though he still wasn't happy with how things were being dealt with. BUT i don't know any of that to be true, it's just my guess. One day we'll get the 80,000 word Axl Rose tell all, and we'll know everything :P.

Where I differ is I believe the reason it did not come out resides solely - 100% - in W. Axl Rose, his insecurities, perfectionism and laziness. The label provided these whopping amounts of money to complete the thing. Hundreds of albums by hundreds of people are released every day; some of them do have logistical problems yet, not of them seem to have the convoluted history of Chinese Democracy (and its alleged, still unreleased, sister albums).  Why does/did this stuff only effect Axl?

Slightly off-topic but do you know how many studio albums James Brown put out? Sixty-three! Many of the masterpieces. All of them superior to Chinese Democracy I hasten to bet (I've not listened to them all). Now that is a genius. 

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Where I differ is I believe the reason it did not come out resides solely - 100% - in W. Axl Rose, his insecurities, perfectionism and laziness. The label provided these whopping amounts of money to complete the thing. Hundreds of albums by hundreds of people are released every day; some of them do have logistical problems yet, not of them seem to have the convoluted history of Chinese Democracy (and its alleged, still unreleased, sister albums).  Why does/did this stuff only effect Axl?

Slightly off-topic but do you know how many studio albums James Brown put out? Sixty-three! Many of the masterpieces. All of them superior to Chinese Democracy I hasten to bet (I've not listened to them all). Now that is a genius. 

And (as you know) it seems pretty much everything was done in the space of a couple of years (late 90's-02) and the rest was pretty much just tinkering/sitting on hands.

It's not like the album actually took 10 years of work to make, most of that 10 years or whatever (correct me if I'm wrong) basically inactivity.

I mean, were there any songs written and recorded after Buckethead left? (last in the studio in what, 02?)

6 hours ago, DR DOOM said:

And (as you know) it seems pretty much everything was done in the space of a couple of years (late 90's-02) and the rest was pretty much just tinkering/sitting on hands.

It's not like the album actually took 10 years of work to make, most of that 10 years or whatever (correct me if I'm wrong) basically inactivity.

I mean, were there any songs written and recorded after Buckethead left? (last in the studio in what, 02?)

Yep, the core of the album, including most of the vocals, was from Bucketheads time in the band.

20 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I know the problems relating to Guns are largely Axls problems, and I'd bet that you're pretty close to hitting the nail on the head with your summarisation of the recording/release... but I think it's a little too easy to blame Axl 100%. Yes, he was / is the boss! but if he doesn't think his creation is going to get the proper treatment, then it is/was in his best interest to hold up and not play ball: until the label agreed to play ball with him in the way he wanted to play ball. 

Axl is obviously the most guilty of all involved, because one of the big delays was that he didn't have completed vocals on tracks until 2006/07. 

As for James brown, he has a huge back catalogue... but I'm largely unfamiliar with it so I can't really comment. Doesn't change how I feel towards GnR that band A has 200 records and GnR have 3. It is a huge waste that GnR only have 3 records, but! IMO each record has been great so for me it's not such a disappointment. You don't like CD much, or at all, so you're even more disappointed at GnR/Axl's shyness towards releasing new music. To be honest I don't think about it very often, I just listen to other music and if GnR ever release a new record, great!