Richard Fortus Interview: GN'R Has Talked About Playing A Show In Cuba

27 minutes ago, Caraibes said:

Fortus is the best GUNS N' ROSES Guitar player ever with Slash.

Fortus will have a major contribution in the futur GUNS N' ROSES material : he Will be everywhere! Studio recordings, videos, interviews, promoting GUNS N' ROSES all over the world and so on...

Plus, he has his own solid fanbase all over the world now. He has tons of fans here in France!  People Know Who he is and they Know he is the Lead and Rythm GUNS N' ROSES Guitar player of the band with Slash. 

I thought this t-roll was banned :lol:

6 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Well What I'm supposed to say? If Duff gets good money, then why not Izzy?

Don't make him a "legal" partner, but the reality is that Izzy co wrote most songs and yeah he does gets his share like the other members.

I guess none of us will know if they don't come out and tell everything in details, all we are getting is bits and pieces, but everything points to one thing which is Money. 

Well there's a couple of reasons actually.

A) while you're right that Izzy is a far more important writter for the band that Duff or even Slash if we're being honest they just didn't need him for the tour. the songs are done and he was paid for them, hell he even makes some money every time they're played, so his role as a songwriter is not important. It just doesn't mean anything for the success of a tour that relies solely on old material. If there were going to be new songs written or co-written by him then maybe that situation would change and they would be willing to give him a lot of money to be there.

B) I don't know if they're managing this tour using the old partnership (I read somewhere that they're not but Slash and Duff are still being paid pecentages instead of salaries like the other band members) but it´s not about that, it was never about that. Some people just bring more money to the table and in the opinion of the band and their people Axl, Slash and Duff are the ones bringing in the money, not Izzy, so it only makes sense that Duff would have made a little bit of more money than him and either way, his reasoning of dividing things equally was never going to work. None of them would have agreed to pay Adler as much as them, it wouldn´t even last a second before Slash and Axl are wondering why I'm making the same amount as three guys that without us would basically dissapear into obscurity (Izzy, Duff, Adler). So while that does sounds nice and cute it was never a realistic idea.

C) (this one reason I hate, but it doesn't stop being true) Duff it's just a bigger name, being there during the whole UYI era might not mean much to most of us, including me but it does mean something when you're trying to sell a brand, and just like any other band that's what GN'R is, why else do you think Slash still wears a hat or that they come up with all those cute logos to make people buy their shirts, records and stuff. He was there during the biggest time of Guns N' Roses while Izzy left right around those times (and yes I do realize that he needed to go because everyone else was either Drunk/Stoned or Axl (which judging by the looks of it wasn't a placent company at the time) and that couldn't be easy for a guy that just got sober) believe it or not, he actually helps when it comes to selling this shows, like a third member so it seems that there is more importance to it than there really is. And the sad part about that is that they just needed one to assure the numbers they got, bringing in Izzy or Steven or both wouldn't have made the shows bigger or would have brought more people to the shows it would just have meant that whatever they got from those one hundred millions would have been divided between 4/5 people instead of just 3 of them. It just didn't make sense at the time, and it probably won't make sense until they need something else to promote that brings them as much money as this once this tour they have going is over.

2 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Nobody's answered this question - if Izzy sold his stake in GNR shouldn't he have to buy back in? He was bought out. Do people think he should be gifted his 25% back?

I hope you know he din't "Sell" his stake. The band wanted to cut down his royalties, they had not even paid him for the shows he did, one of the reasons he came back in 1993 so somehow he could get his money which they owed him. 

No wonder why he left. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

I hope you know he din't "Sell" his stake. The band wanted to cut down his royalties, they had not even paid him for the shows he did, one of the reasons he came back in 1993 so somehow he could get his money which they owed him. 

No wonder why he left. 

He wanted to leave the band. He negotiated a buyout where he gives up his 25% stake in the band and receives money in return. Call it whatever you want, but he gave up his stake in the band in return for money, if he wants to profit from being a 25% owner of Guns N'Roses today he should have to return what he was paid for giving it up.

Edited by Modano09

7 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

He wanted to leave the band. He negotiated a buyout where he gives up his 25% stake in the band and receives money in return. Call it whatever you want, but he gave up his stake in the band in return for money, if he wants to profit from being a 25% owner of Guns N'Roses today he should have to return what he was paid for giving it up.

How much he got? 

7 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

So why wasn't he paid for the shows he did?

I don't know that he wasn't, but if he wasn't, I don't know. They were pissed at him for leaving? They disagreed on how much he was owed? They wanted to wait and group his back payments into the same buyout agreement they were working on? You can pick out any little slight against Izzy you want, it doesn't change the fact he wanted out of the band, sold his stake in it, and can't double dip by selling and owning something at the same time.

Edited by Modano09

5 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I don't know that he wasn't, but if he wasn't, I don't know. They were pissed at him for leaving? They disagreed on how much he was owed? They wanted to wait and group his back payments into the same buyout agreement they were working on? You can pick out any little slight against Izzy you want, it doesn't change the fact he wanted out of the band, sold his stake in it, and can't double dip by selling and owning something at the same time.

Do you ever talk a out anything else?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Do you ever talk a out anything else?

So what you're saying is it's perfectly okay to turn any thread that mentions Fortus's name into bashing Fortus/praising Izzy but my defending Fortus is repetitive?

5 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

He is a bot

I'm sorry.

"IZZY MAN! ROCK N ROLL!! IT'S 1989 WHERE I'M AT!! IZZY GOTTA BE THERE OR IT'S A CRIME!!!"

Am I fitting in now?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

So what you're saying is it's perfectly okay to turn any thread that mentions Fortus's name into bashing Fortus/praising Izzy but my defending Fortus is repetitive?

You know what is repetitive? 

Spoiler

THE SEEKER

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

I'm sorry.

"IZZY MAN! ROCK N ROLL!! IT'S 1989 WHERE I'M AT!! IZZY GOTTA BE THERE OR IT'S A CRIME!!!"

Am I fitting in now?

No, man. I like Fortus too. But every time I see you post on the sidebar I see "PARTNERSHIP! IZZY! FORTUS!" You are a broken record

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

No, man. I like Fortus too. But every time I see you post on the sidebar I see "PARTNERSHIP! IZZY! FORTUS!" You are a broken record

I'm usually replying to the same people saying the same "Izzy deserves to be there, everyone else is greedy" stuff which apparently doesn't sound like a broken record? 

14 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

There is only one classic GNR line-up.  I want them to pick up where they left off.  August 31st, 1991.  Wembley Stadium, London, England.  SOLD. FUCKING. OUT.

What are you talking about? There is only one classic GNR line-up and that's the original one, the one that created Appetite For Destruction. Steven Adler was a HUGE part of GNR's classic sound, not Matt Sorum or Dizzy Reed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

What are you talking about? There is only one classic GNR line-up and that's the original one, the one that created Appetite For Destruction. Steven Adler was a HUGE part of GNR's classic sound, not Matt Sorum or Dizzy Reed.

UYI I + II are classic albums, and Steven Adler had (almost) nothing to do with them.

Though I can understand your point of view, I don't share it.

AFD is a masterpiece, obviously, but UYI is the pinnacle of GNR.

To each his own I guess.

• Like 1

On 26/09/2016 at 4:57 AM, AlterL said:

Well there's a couple of reasons actually.

A) while you're right that Izzy is a far more important writter for the band that Duff or even Slash if we're being honest they just didn't need him for the tour. the songs are done and he was paid for them, hell he even makes some money every time they're played, so his role as a songwriter is not important. It just doesn't mean anything for the success of a tour that relies solely on old material. If there were going to be new songs written or co-written by him then maybe that situation would change and they would be willing to give him a lot of money to be there.

B) I don't know if they're managing this tour using the old partnership (I read somewhere that they're not but Slash and Duff are still being paid pecentages instead of salaries like the other band members) but it´s not about that, it was never about that. Some people just bring more money to the table and in the opinion of the band and their people Axl, Slash and Duff are the ones bringing in the money, not Izzy, so it only makes sense that Duff would have made a little bit of more money than him and either way, his reasoning of dividing things equally was never going to work. None of them would have agreed to pay Adler as much as them, it wouldn´t even last a second before Slash and Axl are wondering why I'm making the same amount as three guys that without us would basically dissapear into obscurity (Izzy, Duff, Adler). So while that does sounds nice and cute it was never a realistic idea.

C) (this one reason I hate, but it doesn't stop being true) Duff it's just a bigger name, being there during the whole UYI era might not mean much to most of us, including me but it does mean something when you're trying to sell a brand, and just like any other band that's what GN'R is, why else do you think Slash still wears a hat or that they come up with all those cute logos to make people buy their shirts, records and stuff. He was there during the biggest time of Guns N' Roses while Izzy left right around those times (and yes I do realize that he needed to go because everyone else was either Drunk/Stoned or Axl (which judging by the looks of it wasn't a placent company at the time) and that couldn't be easy for a guy that just got sober) believe it or not, he actually helps when it comes to selling this shows, like a third member so it seems that there is more importance to it than there really is. And the sad part about that is that they just needed one to assure the numbers they got, bringing in Izzy or Steven or both wouldn't have made the shows bigger or would have brought more people to the shows it would just have meant that whatever they got from those one hundred millions would have been divided between 4/5 people instead of just 3 of them. It just didn't make sense at the time, and it probably won't make sense until they need something else to promote that brings them as much money as this once this tour they have going is over.

I would say that if you had all 5 guys so its the original "Appetite" line-up or with Matt & Izzy to make the UYI line up that would of been a even greater selling point. At the moment we have an odd hybrid lineup of new guns with Slash and Duff - which does have a value but its not the whole bite of the cherry.

40 minutes ago, life_247 said:

I would say that if you had all 5 guys so its the original "Appetite" line-up or with Matt & Izzy to make the UYI lineup that would of been a even greater selling point. At the moment we have an odd hybrid lineup of new guns with Slash and Duff - which does have a value but its not the whole bite of the cherry.

Biut going down that road would have either forced them to divide the pay in 5 pieces instead of 3 or have Adler and Izzy being paid salaries similar to those of Richard and the rest (although obviously higher), the attending crowds wouldn't have been much bigger (actually there's a good chance they would have been the same as what they got, most fans including hardcores when they hear that "X" member that isn't Slash or Axl isn't there go "ohh that's too bad, I will still go to the show".

You can criticize them for not doing what you would do, or what you want them to do, but economically speaking they're playing it smart and funnily enough"AFD Lineup" isn't worth that much more than "Axl&Slash". Maybe they'll considerate it after this tour and that gimmick is over, but right now it isn't necessary and even in the future it might not be if things go well for this guys.