[Poll] Angus Young vs. Slash

Most exciting thing this year?  

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Axl and Slash simply for being something I thought I'd never see. 

Axl and Angus is something I thought didn't exist so I have nothing prior to base my feelings on. 

Slash and Axl working together means we might get to see if these two are just a song making couple made in heaven and with Axl and Angus we might get to see something new entirely. 

Still shocked that Axl has managed to do both so well. He's not human for this, it's absolutely amazing he's maintained this pace

• Like 1

On 9/23/2016 at 11:52 AM, Slash787 said:

Credit goes to @Andy14

snakes1.gif

snakes2.gif

snakes3.gif

:lol:

Anyway, on a serious note, Axl/DC was cool and it was great to see Axl shut up the naysayers but the reunion is something on another level for me and just about any GN'R fan.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 2

ACDC simply because we get to hear Axl singing new material. 

Slash and Duff coming back is awesome but they are still playing the same songs we've all heard before thousands of times. 

Seeing two 55 year old men share a stage - that they've already shared a thousand times before - doesn't make me sob tears of joy or make me feel warm and fuzzy. 

But hearing new music that those two musicians created? That would give me thousands of hours of joy. 

• Like 1

Haha great question to ask GNR fans on GNR forum... Some people waited for Slash to be back for 23 years but nobody even in wildest dreams expected Axl to be AC/DC singer. And just go to AXL/DC tour threads to see how hype was dead after Europe shows that should answer your question.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robert39 said:

no way, Axl is walking on his toes, when he is on stage with Angus. he is has way more confidence when is on stage with GN'R

I don't think that's fair to say. In AC/DC, the vocalist isn't the frontman; Angus is. Axl just plays the role of the vocalist in AC/DC. I never got a sense that he had a lack of confidence in all of the gigs I went to. If he was his normal self up there, everyone would be complaining that he was stealing Angus' thunder. 

To answer the question though, AC/DC held my attention far more than GN'R. With GN'R, I'm indifferent to say the least about this lineup. I've gone into why a hundred times, and I don't really feel like doing it again. But beyond that, the shows were a little underwhelming IMO. Axl sounded fairly good most of the time, but apart from Coma/DTJ/the occasional CD rarity, the setlists were fairly boring. I felt like Axl and Slash had no real chemistry together (Or at least no natural chemistry), while they both had excellent chemistry with everyone else on stage. It felt sort of...disingenuous to me. I mean, I still had a good time at both gigs I went to, but I can name at least 5 gigs between 2010 and 2014 that I enjoyed more. 

AC/DC though, went above and beyond my ridiculously high expectations. AC/DC was my very first favorite band, and Axl is my favorite singer. So yeah, it was great enough to see him go out with a band I love, singing a ton of songs he's never performed before and absolutely fucking nail them. But then add on the fact that it totally revitalized one of my favorite bands who were slowly becoming stagnant. They went from playing an average of 18 songs per night for the last 25 years, to playing an average of 24 songs with Axl - Philly even ended up being their longest show ever, at 25 songs. They were also the most adventurous setlists the band has ever played; essentially all of the songs they added with Axl had either never been played live, hadn't been played live in 35+ years, or had only been played two or three times in the last 35 years. If you had told me even six months ago that this year AC/DC would play Rock N' Roll Damnation, Given The Dog A Bone, If You Want Blood, Live Wire, Touch Too Much, Riff Raff, and Problem Child all at some point this year, I would have fucking lost it laughing at you. And on top of all that, the band sounded fucking good. There was this energy in their sound all over again, they haven't played with this much purpose since The Razor's Edge tour in 1991. Basically, Axl re-lit a flame deep inside Angus. And it was so damn rewarding.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I don't think that's fair to say. In AC/DC, the vocalist isn't the frontman; Angus is. Axl just plays the role of the vocalist in AC/DC. I never got a sense that he had a lack of confidence in all of the gigs I went to. If he was his normal self up there, everyone would be complaining that he was stealing Angus' thunder. 

To answer the question though, AC/DC held my attention far more than GN'R. With GN'R, I'm indifferent to say the least about this lineup. I've gone into why a hundred times, and I don't really feel like doing it again. But beyond that, the shows were a little underwhelming IMO. Axl sounded fairly good most of the time, but apart from Coma/DTJ/the occasional CD rarity, the setlists were fairly boring. I felt like Axl and Slash had no real chemistry together (Or at least no natural chemistry), while they both had excellent chemistry with everyone else on stage. It felt sort of...disingenuous to me. I mean, I still had a good time at both gigs I went to, but I can name at least 5 gigs between 2010 and 2014 that I enjoyed more. 

AC/DC though, went above and beyond my ridiculously high expectations. AC/DC was my very first favorite band, and Axl is my favorite singer. So yeah, it was great enough to see him go out with a band I love, singing a ton of songs he's never performed before and absolutely fucking nail them. But then add on the fact that it totally revitalized one of my favorite bands who were slowly becoming stagnant. They went from playing an average of 18 songs per night for the last 25 years, to playing an average of 24 songs with Axl - Philly even ended up being their longest show ever, at 25 songs. They were also the most adventurous setlists the band has ever played; essentially all of the songs they added with Axl had either never been played live, hadn't been played live in 35+ years, or had only been played two or three times in the last 35 years. If you had told me even six months ago that this year AC/DC would play Rock N' Roll Damnation, Given The Dog A Bone, If You Want Blood, Live Wire, Touch Too Much, Riff Raff, and Problem Child all at some point this year, I would have fucking lost it laughing at you. And on top of all that, the band sounded fucking good. There was this energy in their sound all over again, they haven't played with this much purpose since The Razor's Edge tour in 1991. Basically, Axl re-lit a flame deep inside Angus. And it was so damn rewarding.

I can only say this, give GN'R a different setlist !! without NR , Estranged,rocket queen, This i love, Catcher, all the drama songs out. Put in more rockers like mama kin, reckless life , think about you, perfect crime, pretty tied up, back off bitch etc. and you get a really different show !! I think that wil blow everything out of the sky !!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robert39 said:

I can only say this, give GN'R a different setlist !! without NR , Estranged,rocket queen, This i love, Catcher, all the drama songs out. Put in more rockers like mama kin, reckless life , think about you, perfect crime, pretty tied up, back off bitch etc. and you get a really different show !! I think that wil blow everything out of the sky !!

Amen. Chuck the setlist about.

GNR has a great set. Who cares if they play a similar one every night? Tons of bands do it, and they're doing a stadium tour. They have songs from every era, deep cuts like TWAT Coma, and DTJ, fan favorites like Estranged, all the hits, reworked Chinese songs to keep it fresh,  and a few jams and covers. What more do you want? Sure, stuff like Locomotive and Pretty Tied Up would be cool, but they can't do every deep cut out there. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Zint said:

Slash back with Axl is on a level that would be akin to Bon Scott rejoining AC/DC (comparatively of course).

AXL/DC is a novelty. (a fun one though)

This

Loved the Axl/DC show I saw but it wasn't comparable to the 3 GNR gigs I saw this year. Axl's voice was INCREADIBLE, and it was epic and a blast. Still, not comparable for me, the reunion tour is on another level.

I saw both  GNR and AXL/DC. For me, it is no question that the NITL was better. I enjoyed Axl/DC as a novelty, but it can't beat Slash and Duff returning to GNR. No one saw this coming a couple of years ago.  In addition, some people here are still complaining about the set list. However, Angus Young did the same routine in the three previous shows that I saw of AC/DC. 

• Like 1