Prostitute is a wonderful song

1 hour ago, Slash787 said:

Intentions

New Beginning 

I still remember when the song first leaked (Antiquiet) as "New Song# something" and some people thought it was This I Love until they started calling it "Message For you".

Message for you would have been a good title, but Prostitute pretty much sums it all up in one strong word

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BreakDown2014 said:

I still remember when the song first leaked (Antiquiet) as "New Song# something" and some people thought it was This I Love until they started calling it "Message For you".

Message for you would have been a good title, but Prostitute pretty much sums it all up in one strong word

Yeah this song was put as TIL when the leaks happened. 

But when the album came out and when I heard the real TIL, I was like this sounds different, but I really fell in love with TIL. 

I dont see any cringe in any lyrics. They all represent what was in his heart and thats what matters. There are meh lyrics, but never any that make me uncomfortable. (Aka cringe). Might as well say SCOM and NR are cringe worthy as well by that rationale.

Actually for me, the only cringe worthy lyrics are ones that are overly self referencing. Like the lyric "Listen motherfuckers to this song that should be heard". That one is horrible imo

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1

I don't listen much to ChDm these times, but if I had to listen to Prostitute I would listen the 'enjoy them, just for you' last verse after the first buckethead solo. Axl seems sincere here and then last chorus with the fabulous ending, it gets me everytime. It's a short song made me think, the build up of the song is somewhat pompus though, but great climax.

That song is actually my favorite GN'R tune. Ever. 

I used to listen to it all the time, even now it still comes up in my playlist often enough although lately I've been listening more to TWAT and Street of Dreams, definitely a great composition not to mention the beautiful solos by Buckethead, not often you get to hear a solo with such technique, melody and speed, real masterpieces right there. Always made me curious as to what else could Axl have been sitting on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

I think it is really a beautiful song.

... and to make it even more fun you can project many different means on it while you listen to it. The boring- singing to Stephanie or Erin. Or the more interesting: to the band or to himself.

I always wondered if another interpretation could be Axl speaking to the general public/fans.  Like asking "why am I going to prostitute myself to you?".  I feel it lines up well with him retiring from the public eye and being extremely stingy on releasing music

• Like 1

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

I don't think it's about her at all. To me it's about CD itself, himself and the direction he went in and what a struggle it was, Slash and the others leaving, the fans/critics and all the expectations that go with all of that.

I kind of imagine him singing it into a mirror.

I still think its about her

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

I don't think it's about her at all. To me it's about CD itself, himself and the direction he went in and what a struggle it was, Slash and the others leaving, the fans/critics and all the expectations that go with all of that.

I kind of imagine him singing it into a mirror.

I strongly agree with you.  All the stuff about "this is how I feel if all I've done is going misunderstood"