Prostitute is a wonderful song

I love Chinese Democracy and don't mind some of the over production but this is a song I'd rather hear stripped down. Maybe with the Bumblefoot slide-guitar solo in a better place rather than the end. The lyrics and vocals on the song are killer though, I just hate the last 2-3 minutes of the instrumental, it feels awkward.

3 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Is that you Yoda?

Yes and please be kind if my intentions are misunderstood, I told Axl when I found him if there were doubts about him, he should be careful and unafraid, now they surround him, is love that Stephanie fed by perversion and pain. 

I don't know what to make of that song. Isolated, by its self, sure it's a good song, and some great guitar work. 

In context of the CD album though, it's the last of how many midtempo ballads? For me, it's like "here we go again" when that song comes on while listening to the whole album. Honestly, I prefer TIL, CITR, SOD, and Maddy over it. They just feel more like "guns n roses" to me (even though they feel a little flat at times as well). Prostitute feel a Michael Jackson song with controversial lyrics and guitar solos, it really does. 

People talk about Shacklers, better, oh my god and other songs as "not feeling like guns n roses" and I get that. But they still rock. Maybe not in the classic Appetite way, but at least they have some punch to them. So I can somewhat place them as a guns song. Prostitute on the other hand is an Axl Rose solo imo. Its like Just another Sunday. They are what a TRUE Axl solo album would probably sound like imo. 

Again, by its self, I like the song. I even think it's good. Its just a good Axl Rose song, not a Guns n Roses song.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

4 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I love Chinese Democracy and don't mind some of the over production but this is a song I'd rather hear stripped down. Maybe with the Bumblefoot slide-guitar solo in a better place rather than the end. The lyrics and vocals on the song are killer though, I just hate the last 2-3 minutes of the instrumental, it feels awkward.

Bumblefoot doesn't solo on Prostitute. Anyway, check out the antiquiet demo there are less rhythym guitars allowibg the instrumental stuff more room to breath. Also the double kick drum part during the solo has more punch

6 hours ago, Slash787 said:

If you are talking about a wonderful complex song it would be There Was A Time.

A lot of things got hidden in layers, the Axl acoustic guitar with the synth is amazing.

Bucket's solo is just amazing. 

I definitely agree about TWAT being wondeful.  Axl's acoustic guitar part sounds so good.  Shame you can't hear it better through all the layers

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

I like prostitute but the opening is so darn cheesy with the tacky beat loop and the guitar layers. There is a great piano melody buried underneath that and I wish they build up the song more from that melody instead of the wall of production that hits you from the start. But the lyrics and singing are great and the ending makes a great outro of sorts for the album.

Edited by Bumblefeet

5 hours ago, Bumblefeet said:

I like prostitute but the opening is so darn cheesy with the tacky beat loop and the guitar layers. There is a great piano melody buried underneath that and I wish they build up the song more from that melody instead of the wall of production that hits you from the start. But the lyrics and singing are great and the ending makes a great outro of sorts for the album.

I always imagined that recording CD went like this.

1999:

Axl to Robin & Paul Tobias: Alright Robin, go in and lay down some leads & rhythm. Paul lay down some rhythms behind Robins guitar

Axl to Producer, listening to, at that point, only 2 guitars: alright good stuff, this record is really shaping up

2001:

Axl to Buckethead: Alright Bucket, go record some leads & solos

Axl to producer: hey thats a cool lead, never thought of it that way

Axl: Alright Richard you're in the band now, let's see what you can do

Axl to producer: wow that's a cool lick. Save that

2006/2007:

Axl to Bumblefoot: Alright bumble, go lay down some rhythm tracks

Axl to Producer: what is that chord? That sounds cool put that in there.

2008:

Axl at the mixing stage: Alright there aren't too many leads, but how should we approach whose base rhythm guitar to keep in? Should we pan Robins rhythm right and Pauls left? Or Robin left and Richard right? Or Bucket right and Robin lift?

Caram Costanzo: Just put it all in there, no one will notice! Plus it makes it heavier!

Axl: I'm pretty sure its gonna sound too muddled and constricted

Caram: No trust me it'll be fine! You know the saying: The more the merrier right?

It wasn't like what ive imagined before it leaked, but there are moments of brilliance in the song. it captures drama in a very axl like approach and the stracture of it is flawless. Bucket plays mean as hell blues licks essenntially matching the many musical climaxes it has in both heavy and quiet moments. I do think it lost some of the piano magic the live 2002 version had, with the whole phrase is played and not how its divided to smaller sections so axl could sing the vocal melody on it, but it makes sense as it served the song.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J Dog said:

One of my favorites off CD. I remember back in the day when that list of rumored song titles was floating around, I thought Prostitute was like a Back Off Bitch part II or something.

I can't express how glad I'm that you were wrong.