Chinese Democracy crowned the most over-produced album of all time.

1. Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy (2008)

At the throne of UG this week, it's the GN'R gang and "Chinese Democracy." Dewitt pointed out: "It's a great album, but it's probably the best (or worst?) example of what a negative effect overproduction can have on the final product. It would be a better album if it was a little more reserved."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/features/top_20_most_overproduced_albums_ever.html

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Doubtful if it'll ever materialise. Do remix albums still come out after an album has been out 8 years and all the band members who made it left??

Theres a chance, its Guns N' Roses after all. I'd love to listen that 1999 (or something) version of it. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, default_ said:

Theres a chance, its Guns N' Roses after all. I'd love to listen that 1999 (or something) version of it. 

The 1999 versions are the Demo's which sounded way better than the Album versions.

Brain and Pitman did remix the songs at a much later stage, I guess in 2008. 

There was this TIL remix snippet floating, not sure if it was legit, but it was weird.

and that DJ Ashba Version of Better was :vomit:

5 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

The 1999 versions are the Demo's which sounded way better than the Album versions.

Brain and Pitman did remix the songs at a much later stage, I guess in 2008. 

There was this TIL remix snippet floating, not sure if it was legit, but it was weird.

and that DJ Ashba Version of Better was :vomit:

Did Pitman actually work on anything with Brain? I remember Axl saying here in the chats that Brain was working "close with band" with remixes

Just now, Mendez said:

Did Pitman actually work on anything with Brain? I remember Axl saying here in the chats that Brain was working "close with band" with remixes

I guess Brain was working in his home studio, not sure if he was in touch with Pitman, I guess Brain sent his remix work to Management and then it was given to Axl and then Axl decided which Part would be there, then I assume Brain would have gotten paid according to that. 

And Im sure not only Brain would have have done all the remixes, it would be Caram and Pitman too

2 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

I guess Brain was working in his home studio, not sure if he was in touch with Pitman, I guess Brain sent his remix work to Management and then it was given to Axl and then Axl decided which Part would be there, then I assume Brain would have gotten paid according to that. 

And Im sure not only Brain would have have done all the remixes, it would be Caram and Pitman too

Ah i see. I'd also imagine melissa had some part in that too, seeing how her and Brain had worked together.

Also pretty sure the TIL remix was legit as Axl said the backing harp riff in the album version was used as the basis for the remix

Just now, Mendez said:

Ah i see. I'd also imagine melissa had some part in that too, seeing how her and Brain had worked together.

Yeah she was dating Brain at that time and both of them worked on music together for other artists or for themselves. 

I guess she was there when Brain was working for the GNR remixes. 

But all of this was happening at his home studio

After 2007 Axl din't rent any recording studio, he had already wasted shit loads of money from 1998 to 2007 on so many recordings and doing god knows what. 

1 hour ago, Slash787 said:

I would be more interested in some new songs rather than some shitty remix songs. 

Agreed! I really hope they can get something going with new material. They all have some time before the next leg of the tour starts.. :shrugs:

11 hours ago, Slash787 said:

After 2007 Axl din't rent any recording studio, he had already wasted shit loads of money from 1998 to 2007 on so many recordings and doing god knows what. 

I'll always remember the podcast he was on where he said that hed be gone for about a year (i assume after the 2002/2003 tour got pulled) then come back to the studio and they give him a check for (IIRC) $200,000. 

11 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Can you imagine if the remix album was ever released? Would have been a catastrophe

Unless the promoted it as a real album (touring solely for it), i dint think it would have mattered much. Kind of like Serj Tankian's " Imperfect Remixes" EP (they were remixes of his album Imperfect Harmonies, although it was released around the same time as each other, not 8 years later)

Edited by Mendez

9 hours ago, Towelie said:

Doubtful if it'll ever materialise. Do remix albums still come out after an album has been out 8 years and all the band members who made it left??

How many successful rock bands do you know that are managed by the singer's former girlfriend's ex-nanny and her children?

• Like 2

The songs are awful. 

It has nothing to do with overproduction. If that was its only problem it would have a chance. A bad song is a bad song. Axl tried polishing a turd with overproduction.

The illusions are overly produced, but there is no denying it has incredible songs. CD songs are a mess with no hope. 

• Like 2

It is terribly overproduced/messed with.

I've posted this a million times, but I think there are some good and even great songs in there but not as presented on the actual album.

The leaks and live performances from the years before the album came out were all way better than the Frankenstein's monster that finally emerged.

Ron Thal, Frank, Fortus and probably Brain (who pretty much copied Freese's work to the tee) didn't need to be on there.

4 hours ago, DR DOOM said:

It is terribly overproduced/messed with.

I've posted this a million times, but I think there are some good and even great songs in there but not as presented on the actual album.

The leaks and live performances from the years before the album came out were all way better than the Frankenstein's monster that finally emerged.

Ron Thal, Frank, Fortus and probably Brain (who pretty much copied Freese's work to the tee) didn't need to be on there.

I agree about Bumble, Frank and Fortus. I'd also leave out Pitman.

However Brain was good and the album needed him. Remember many of the songs originates from during Buckethead's tenure by which point Freese was long gone.

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

I agree about Bumble, Frank and Fortus. I'd also leave out Pitman.

However Brain was good and the album needed him. Remember many of the songs originates from during Buckethead's tenure by which point Freese was long gone.

Ah yeah, I forgot that Brain was involved in a writing capacity too.

Pitsman was pretty integral though, those tracks need sub bass, towel faggery and fart noises almost as bad as You Could Be Mine or Paradise City :facepalm:

• Like 1

Brain had to re record the same parts by Josh Freese 

"What surprised me is that they supposedly had Brain re-do my drums note for note." (Josh Freese, Podocast, 04/13) 

"Roy [Thomas Baker] was the producer at that time and he's like, 'Well, basically what you are gonna have to do is play exactly what Josh played. Exactly note for note." (Brain, EQTV, 10/08)