Pets!

pinkforgirls

4 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

you're sweet. he's not that bad he's just ALL BOY! and i had the sweetest girl dog before him, she was the love of my life dog. i think she sent him to me to keep me busy and not grieving so bad, though i think of her every day and miss her so much. but thanks, his cuteness saves him a lot :P

That definitely helps! :) And I truly believe pets are brought in our lives for many reasons and your boy is there to help you with your sadness. ? I feel that way about my Sadie cat who I got 2 weeks after my beloved cat of 14 years Silver passed on. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2017 at 7:12 PM, Shooting Star said:

My guinea pigs: :heart:

Jerry (Cantrell)

2eycpyr.jpg

Lars (AKA Baby Lars)

1zq5a40.jpg

Be careful, my son had two when he was little, thought they were babies. Went to feed them one day and I suddenly had four of them. Separated them into two cages. Unbeknownst to me he would let them out to play....ended up with 11 of the little suckers...:P

Edited by BlueJean Baby
typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Be careful, my son had two when he was little, thought they were babies. Went to feed them one day and I suddenly had four of them. Separated them into two cages. Unbeknownst to me he would let them out to play....ended up with 11 of the little suckers...:P

My sister ended up with about 10 guinea pigs because the pet shop told her her original two were a female and female, lol. They multiplied then she purposely let them all "play" together. She tried to get me to take some off her hands when they got big. Rodents always bite me though, so she was stuck with them for a long time :lol:

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

My sister ended up with about 10 guinea pigs because the pet shop told her her original two were a female and female, lol. They multiplied then she purposely let them all "play" together. She tried to get me to take some off her hands when they got big. Rodents always bite me though, so she was stuck with them for a long time :lol:

You know...

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2014-09-25/the-one-dish-to-try-in-peru-is-guinea-pig

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Ha!! True that!!! My two guinea pig boys were supposed to be females LOL!! At least they were not a couple :0

I took my dad's black lab on a walk and she was attacked by dog :(. I've never had to deal with something like that before. My giant pointer mix was attacked by two toy sized dogs once and I quickly chased them off because I was a bit worried that he'd react to them attacking them and accidentally kill one, but that is nothing like a 100 pound lab getting jumped by an an american bulldog who is even bigger than she is. 

I've always been told that you shouldn't get between fighting dogs, the instant he jumped her I realized that my reply to that is "like hell I am going to let dogs hurt each other for fear of getting bit myself." I was lucky that I had a harness on the lab and the other dog had a collar on. I pulled back on the leash to pull her behind me while I yanked on his collar and threw him back enough I could get between them. It did take a couple tries. I am also lucky I am used to of manhandling 100+ pound dogs. I think I am also lucky that they hadn't gotten to the point where they were really trying to hurt each other. He was being territorial and she was being defensive.

I don't know if he was socialized well enough with people to know that he wasn't supposed to bite them or if he was just confused by me. Once I got between them he acted aggressive toward me only once and when I didn't threaten him but made it clear I wasn't afraid of him he backed off. He kept trying to get to the lab, but I made sure to stay between them. He wouldn't confront me. The lab wasn't happy with me being in between her and the threat at first, but she listens to me and let me handle it.

I called my dad to pick the lab up because we could not go anywhere without the other dog charging back toward us. By the time my dad picked his lab up she was pretty unconcerned with the whole thing. I called the other dog and walked him home. He had no idea what to think of me. But came along with me anyway. :P Unfortunately his people weren't home so I had to leave him on his door step and help my dad get the lab home and check her over. I worried about just leaving him there like that, but once I got the lab home I went back by he was back in his pen so it was okay.

The lab did have one nasty scratch on her that was already horribly infected when my dad took her to the vet the following day but she is otherwise fine and they've contacted the city and the owners of the other dog to make sure he was up to date on his shots. He wasn't, but the vet assured them since the lab was up to date herself she'd be fine even if he had something.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

I took my dad's black lab on a walk and she was attacked by dog :(. I've never had to deal with something like that before. My giant pointer mix was attacked by two toy sized dogs once and I quickly chased them off because I was a bit worried that he'd react to them attacking them and accidentally kill one, but that is nothing like a 100 pound lab getting jumped by an an american bulldog who is even bigger than she is. 

I've always been told that you shouldn't get between fighting dogs, the instant he jumped her I realized that my reply to that is "like hell I am going to let dogs hurt each other for fear of getting bit myself." I was lucky that I had a harness on the lab and the other dog had a collar on. I pulled back on the leash to pull her behind me while I yanked on his collar and threw him back enough I could get between them. It did take a couple tries. I am also lucky I am used to of manhandling 100+ pound dogs. I think I am also lucky that they hadn't gotten to the point where they were really trying to hurt each other. He was being territorial and she was being defensive.

I don't know if he was socialized well enough with people to know that he wasn't supposed to bite them or if he was just confused by me. Once I got between them he acted aggressive toward me only once and when I didn't threaten him but made it clear I wasn't afraid of him he backed off. He kept trying to get to the lab, but I made sure to stay between them. He wouldn't confront me. The lab wasn't happy with me being in between her and the threat at first, but she listens to me and let me handle it.

I called my dad to pick the lab up because we could not go anywhere without the other dog charging back toward us. By the time my dad picked his lab up she was pretty unconcerned with the whole thing. I called the other dog and walked him home. He had no idea what to think of me. But came along with me anyway. :P Unfortunately his people weren't home so I had to leave him on his door step and help my dad get the lab home and check her over. I worried about just leaving him there like that, but once I got the lab home I went back by he was back in his pen so it was okay.

The lab did have one nasty scratch on her that was already horribly infected when my dad took her to the vet the following day but she is otherwise fine and they've contacted the city and the owners of the other dog to make sure he was up to date on his shots. He wasn't, but the vet assured them since the lab was up to date herself she'd be fine even if he had something.

That's scary. I have to be careful around here there are lots of pitbulls that keep getting out loose in my neighborhood. :wacko:

There has been a lot on the local news here lately because three little kids were attacked on the way to their school bus stop and one died.  A few days later an adult was attacked by three dogs in that same neighborhood. :max:

1 minute ago, BlueJean Baby said:

That's scary. I have to be careful around here there are lots of pitbulls that keep getting out loose in my neighborhood. :wacko:

There has been a lot on the local news here lately because three little kids were attacked on the way to their school bus stop and one died.  A few days later an adult was attacked by three dogs in that same neighborhood. :max:

Oddly enough I didn't really find it scary at the time. It was more of... what do I need to do? In the back of my mind I knew that it could go bad. When I was having the staring contest with the Am Bulldog I did wonder what would happen if it was someone who was scared that was facing him. Because he was definitely trying to scare me, but I wasn't having it. Would he attack them or did he know better? I was trying to project that I wasn't someone to mess with, but I didn't want be threatening to him either. Once he backed off after our staring contest I was confident that I'd be fine. Just had to stay between him and the lab.

I think I am more relieved that it didn't get really bad than anything. And not an experience I want to repeat.

If there was another dog with him I think I would have definitely felt more than a little fear in the moment. One dog you can reason with two dogs build up each others confidence and egg each other on to do stupid things that one dog by itself wouldn't do on their own. 

2 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

that's horrible! if that had been my lab i'd have done the exact same thing. where i lived before the neighbors had a female husky and a male pit butt ( who was NOT fixed.) my lab and the husky got along fine but whenever the pit bull was around  he and the husky would bark at  my dog and charge the fence. well one day i was out fixing up the pool w/ a couple of friends. i went inside for a sec and all of a sudden i heard all this barking and growling. i flew out the door and saw my one friend had grabbed the husky who was attacking my lab! u started screaming and grabbed this axe i had out there  ( i had a feeling that this might happen so i kept it handy! ) luckily the neighbor called both dogs over to him cos i really think i might have axed that dog! my poor dog had a big HOLE in his back. he is just a loving big goofball and he would never have fought back. i was so pissed off. luckily my dog was ok, no infection or anything. just another reason i left there and more here! those neighbors were the worst. savage dogs on top of being drug dealers :facepalm: