rocknroll41

Has Nirvana Aged Poorly?

179 posts in this topic

Today is the 25th anniversary of Nevermind, and on every article for it, all I see are comments about how much nirvana really sucked.

In a way, I agree. But I'm curious to see how everyone else here feels about them now, and if they've also been noticing other communities souring towards them. 

Edited by rocknroll41

The generation that grew up listening to them are the ones most likely to complain about them, but that's only because of how overplayed they were. A lot of people connected with those songs and continue to. All you need is the 3 albums and "Live Tonight Sold Out" that captured who they were as a band. 

Comments under articles on portals? When I read.them, I feel sad to see that world I live in is full of stupid, out-of-life, world-and-people hating, empty idiots...

Nirvana ( or grunge) never was my thing, but to say it sucked or smth like that is just ignorant... 

Nope.

They're great.

I will say that Bleach gets a little too much respect though. Don't get me wrong, it's an incredible album, especially considering it was their first and made for relative peanuts, but I find it fairly tedious in the back half. This coming from someone that loves everything about In Utero.

They're alright. Bit overrated. But some of their stuff was really great, like Scentless Apprentice or Milk It (I'm more of a In Utero kind of a guy, can't ya tell?).

They have fucking sucked since day 1. Call me ignorant, I don't care. I never understood how they were somehow smarter or more real than your average hair band of the day. A truckload of horse shit. Fuck Kurt Cobain. They were just a shitty rock band that acted like they hated rock n roll. Punk? Fuck no. They were about as punk as Bon Jovi.

1 person likes this

I still listen to their stuff, Drain You is one of my favourite songs. The usual culprits  (Teen Spirit, Come As You Are, Lithium) got played to death back in the day, but I don't think that the music overall has aged badly. Plus, their unplugged album performance is fucking inmense.

2 people like this

Len pretty much nailed it. But aside from that Nirvana managed to capture a certain teenage angst or whatever in their music that at some point in their youth nearly everybody can identify with. And since 1989 people from just about every generation of youth have identified with. And even now it makes me feel nostalgic about all the crazy shit I did as a kid and all the things that run though your head at that age. That's pretty powerful right there. 

Nirvana isn't overrated and it certainly hasn't aged badly. But for some part it is typically music that you connect with the most at a certain age. 

I was going through With The Lights Out a few weeks ago. Still great stuff. And their Unplugged performance is from another planet entirely. 

Edited by username

There's a few songs here or there that for whatever reason haven't aged all that well. As a whole though, I'm sure Nirvana will be timeless, I never get bored of that band.

I only like 3 songs by them. Smells like Teen Spirit, Come as you are and Heart shaped Box. 

Their cover of The Man who sold the world was also good. 

Nirvana just din't give me that much of satisfaction, they have a big fan base and people like different kinds of music, but well its not my type. 

1 person likes this

I can't sit through Nevermind, I do not deny its significance and importance in music but it just isn't my cup of tea. I find myself wanting to listen to Led Zeppelin or The Rolling Stones. That said, Smells Like Teen Spirit is a killer track.

2 people like this

I guess @Forsaken is a big Nirvana fan, so his opinion would be good in this matter. 

The unplugged performance is terrific, I will agree to that.

1 person likes this

Unplugged is the one Nirvana album most  rock music fans can agree on.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Punk? Fuck no. They were about as punk as Bon Jovi.

Hahaha whatever dude. 

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Hahaha whatever dude. 

Sorry- but nothing gets me fired up like a Nirvana discussion. :lol:

I just fuckin hate that they're somehow put on this pedestal of being the best band of that era. They absolutely weren't. They were just another mtv phenomenon. Cobain was smart enough at the time to act like he hated that shit. A lot of dumb asses my age ate it up. They thought Nirvana was some punk antiestablishment thing, and nothing could've been further from the truth. Those kids were douchebags of the highest order. Rich dickheads who wouldn't know a punk band if they spit in their face. I think their music sucked too, but people trying to make them out to be something more than just another band on mtv really gets me going. :shrugs:

31 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Sorry- but nothing gets me fired up like a Nirvana discussion. :lol:

I just fuckin hate that they're somehow put on this pedestal of being the best band of that era. They absolutely weren't. They were just another mtv phenomenon. Cobain was smart enough at the time to act like he hated that shit. A lot of dumb asses my age ate it up. They thought Nirvana was some punk antiestablishment thing, and nothing could've been further from the truth. Those kids were douchebags of the highest order. Rich dickheads who wouldn't know a punk band if they spit in their face. I think their music sucked too, but people trying to make them out to be something more than just another band on mtv really gets me going. :shrugs:

You think they wouldn't have amounted to much else if it weren't for MTV?

I think Unplugged cemented them as this mainstream band. The audience were probably non-fans, just people with enough money to buy the tickets. That is when everyone started to like them. I myself think Unplugged is their best album.

3 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

You think they wouldn't have amounted to much else if it weren't for MTV?

I think Unplugged cemented them as this mainstream band. The audience were probably non-fans, just people with enough money to buy the tickets. That is when everyone started to like them. I myself think Unplugged is their best album.

I don't know. Obviously I don't like them, so I don't know if they had already built a big following or not before Teen Spirit. But I saw what happened when that video came out- people went crazy for it. #1 requested & all that. And the casual fans came in huge droves.

And Cobain pretended to hate it all. But then they went on mtv to do Unplugged, and continued to make videos. He was such a hypocrite and a fake.

Thing is, Cobain went all out with Unplugged but he did it in his own way. Bringing in Meat Puppets as his guest didn't sit well with MTV. They wanted other grunge/alt stars such as Eddie Vedder and Tori Amos. And the selection of songs were interesting. They played David Bowie, Leadbelly and of course Meat Puppets. All Apologies stands out as the centerpiece. Would have been weird if they did Teen Spirit.

1 person likes this

Critics ate that album up. I never understood Cobain's thought process. He was a hypocrite. Hated fame but he did brought it upon himself. 

I didn't like nirvana and their attitude,death of cobain just made bigger their myth as band against other genres.They got more attention from what they deserved.

Edited by Majestic Beast

They were a sign of the times. I think young people were getting sick of bands that sung about sex and the fast life with guitar virtuoso and the showmanship. Nirvana was the alternative, that is why they call it alternative. Kids wanted something different. Kurt Cobain was a mediocre player but he made up for it in singing. He had feeling and whatever he sung he sounded like he meant it.