Ever feel completely out of your depth?

Graeme

In November, I'm going to a conference in Chile, it's the biggest/most important bi-annual scientific gathering in my field. It'll be a week of discussions about various aspects of reducing the risk from volcanoes and it's going to include some field trips to Calbuco volcano.

Under advice from my project supervisors,I submitted a proposal for presenting my research at the conference, and I've now had an email back to say that my proposal's been accepted! The only thing is, there are two modes of presentation, I was just expecting to create a poster and put it on display, but I've been selected by the organising committee to give a talk instead.

This should be a huge honour, but I am now already dreading it... I was really looking forward to the trip, but it's become apparent that public speaking incurs a pretty acute form of anxiety in me, the last time I spoke about my project was in a pretty informal and friendly atmosphere and I did not cover myself in glory whatsoever, despite my best efforts to prepare, psych myself up and stay composed.

I am now locked into a collision course to make a complete cunt of myself in front of some of the best volcanologists in the world :(

Wondered if anyone else has stories of a situation where they suddenly realise "what the fuck have I done?"

I have felt that way a few times in my career. Usually when I would get promoted which I always worried was lifting me to my " level of incompetence".  A close friend, after listening to me whine over wine about how I would not be able to do the job said "It's not that you can't do the job, it's that your self confidence is shit." I have remembered that ever since. I remind myself when these times happen that I can probably handle it because I have handled all the challenges that I had faced to get where I am, and my nerves are just because my self confidence is shit.. Helped me face new stuff.

Thay already liked your proposal, so it is not a challenge you can't handle.. Public speaking, yeah I never liked that even though I had to do it a lot.. Use your deep breathing techniques, know your presentation info well, and have slides so they look at something besaides you all the time.

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Did we not already have this situation just a few short months ago? In fact, I'm pretty sure that we did, because I wrote a thousand word guide for you which went unanswered. :lol:

On topic, no, I don't feel out of my depth because I'm awesome.

Aye, we did, I remember talking to you about it.

The "last time I spoke about my project" I refer to was the talk we discussed, you were the one that highlighted that it might be some sort of anxiety that's only brought on by specific situations, which was the first time I'd thought of it that way (though we might well have got sidetracked talking about asking girls out...).

I guess this scenario is like that one x100...

I don't remember you giving me 1000 words worth of tips on how to deal with it, but that just might be my poor memory, in which case, sorry!

Well, you stated that you were surprised by how much I'd written and that you'd get back on it as you were heading out and that was that. Anyway, it doesn't matter. The fundamentals are the same; you're simply ascribing too much importance to the event. Yes, it is important, but everyone in the room has been in the same position, so if you speak slowly and deliberately (not like a monotonous robot) and still fumble a word or two then nobody is going to notice or care. Plan B, should it come to it, is if in the course of your speech you feel overwhelmed, simply collapse off the stage, clutching your chest, and wait for the ambulance to arrive.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Graeme said:

In November, I'm going to a conference in Chile, it's the biggest/most important bi-annual scientific gathering in my field. It'll be a week of discussions about various aspects of reducing the risk from volcanoes and it's going to include some field trips to Calbuco volcano.

Under advice from my project supervisors,I submitted a proposal for presenting my research at the conference, and I've now had an email back to say that my proposal's been accepted! The only thing is, there are two modes of presentation, I was just expecting to create a poster and put it on display, but I've been selected by the organising committee to give a talk instead.

This should be a huge honour, but I am now already dreading it... I was really looking forward to the trip, but it's become apparent that public speaking incurs a pretty acute form of anxiety in me, the last time I spoke about my project was in a pretty informal and friendly atmosphere and I did not cover myself in glory whatsoever, despite my best efforts to prepare, psych myself up and stay composed.

I am now locked into a collision course to make a complete cunt of myself in front of some of the best volcanologists in the world :(

Wondered if anyone else has stories of a situation where they suddenly realise "what the fuck have I done?"

Maybe bring your guitar and sing your presentation?

Honestly? Never. I just don't overthink the shit enough to feel something negative about myself like a little whiny bitch. You just use what you have and move forward with a positive attitude. I try to be constructive and the fact that i'm high as fuck most of the time keeps shit in perspective. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The real question is, how good are Chilean Volcanic science conferences for pulling fanny?

Not great if that episode of Friends is anything to go on. Yes the friends gang did ok but they sort of, brought their own fanny with them. Not much going on in the conference.

4 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

Not great if that episode of Friends is anything to go on. Yes the friends gang did ok but they sort of, brought their own fanny with them. Not much going on in the conference.

The one with the volcanology conference? How did I miss that!? :lol:

I had to give a presentation today to a panel, stakes were high (this is the stage at which it's decided if you get to submit for a PhD or not), nailed it. Panel concluded "you're a million miles away from having any problems". Feel slightly less out of my depth. :)

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Graeme said:

I had to give a presentation today to a panel, stakes were high (this is the stage at which it's decided if you get to submit for a PhD or not), nailed it. Panel concluded "you're a million miles away from having any problems". Feel slightly less out of my depth. :)

You should give presentations in the style and voice of Billy Connolly.

"Volcanoes? Och, I know! What are they about?"

Billy-Connolly-sma.preview.jpg

Edited by PappyTron
  • Like 2

You project supervisors clearly have a great deal of faith in you. Try to see it their way man. ;) I've found that if you try not to worry too much and drive yourself nuts, you'll be able to fly through just like the people who know this stuff told you you would. And hey, if it's all about discussion the worst thing that can happen is people not agreeing with your conclusions. Which can be said about nearly every scientific theory ever thought up. It might even give you some new insights too. :) 

How do you go to old firm derbys and then bottle it from a conference?  I mean whats the worst you can possibly do at said conference, no ones gonna smack you in the eye or nothing.

On 27 September 2016 at 7:29 AM, spunko12345 said:

You watch Friends? :lol:. You big girls blouse!

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

How do you go to old firm derbys and then bottle it from a conference?  I mean whats the worst you can possibly do at said conference, no ones gonna smack you in the eye or nothing.

You watch Friends? :lol:. You big girls blouse!

We all have to have our little treats. Big Sam by day Kenneth Williams by night that's me :lol:

• Like 1