"not working on all this to keep it buried" - Axl to Kurt Loder around 1998/99

I was listening to this tonight and something Axl said stood out to me.

@ about 2:53

This is from that short interview Kurt Loder had with Axl sometime around 1998-2000.  This is that interview where Axl is asked what prevented him from doing a traditional rock record and he said he couldn't find anyone to replace Slash.  In this same interview, Axl tells Kurt he isn't working on all this stuff with the new band to keep it buried.  Obviously that was a much younger Axl.  I think most would agree 1998 Axl is very different from today's Axl.  Things change.  Plans change, maybe the unreleased Chinese Democracy stuff will stay unreleased but maybe there's a chance for new old material.  Or maybe even new new material

Yea what if CD is a story of a man going to do a project with his friends but they become disconnected along the way, so this man tries to complete it by himself, he searches and searches for the right path that shows he can do it but comes to the conclusion that isolating himself wasn't the way to success but helped him find internal peace along his journey. He then now having achieved this new level of peace finds his friends again and finishes the project they began 20 years prior. 

So this whole thing was planned, Axl was living out this story he created to become the true artist who could encompass his work.  Now having reconnected with Slash and Duff they can finish what they started...my god 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Yea what if CD is a story of a man going to do a project with his friends but they become disconnected along the way, so this man tries to complete it by himself, he searches and searches for the right path that shows he can do it but comes to the conclusion that isolating himself wasn't the way to success but helped him find internal peace along his journey. He then now having achieved this new level of peace finds his friends again and finishes the project they began 20 years prior. 

So this whole thing was planned, Axl was living out this story he created to become the true artist who could encompass his work.  Now having reconnected with Slash and Duff they can finish what they started...my god 

It's like, we're looking down at Wayne's basement. Only that's not Wayne's basement..... Isn't that weird?

Edited by sturginho
  • Like 2

there is one answer from Axl I don't understand.

"Loder: What prevented you from doing, like, a traditional rock record?

Rose: Slash."

I always thought that Slash is the most likely man for a afd-like record.

• Like 1

If a person wants to release music, they will release it. 

Slash did, Duff did, hell even Izzy and Steven did.

The record company could have forced Slash that if he only works with Axl, then only they will release his music, but well that din't happen. 

If Axl wanted to release music for the fans, he could have easily done it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

I always thought he was saying that if Slash were still part of the band the sound would be more traditional rock and that's what he wanted to do with Slash but now that Slash is out of the band he couldn't really find anyone that fit the mold of Slash, so he went towards experimental rock over traditional. 

Basically his response was a direct response to Slash saying Axl wanted to be nine inch nails and do something they are not, where as Slash wanted to do traditional AFD rock record. 

Axl refuted that statement by saying it was him that wanted it to be traditional rock. Axl's biggest gripe with Slash was Slash not wanting to work on the material Axl had, they started to but heads when Axl refused some of Slash's snake pit work and Slash went ahead and did a solo album. After that it became "I'm not working on your stuff it isn't gnr enough" so eventually the split had to happen. 

Thats why in that China Exchange interview recently Axl says he was surprised to see Slash working so hard on the CD stuff without being asked bc the last time they worked together Slash didn't want to work hard or do anything. 

So in Axl's mind Slash prevented the proper evolvement of GNR and what became of the band isn't the vision Axl had, it's just what happened bc Slash didn't want to be part of it

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sosso said:

He meant that NOT having Slash kept him from being able to do another AFD styled record.  He wasn't saying when they were together Slash stood in the way of another AFD sounding record

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Axl's biggest gripe with Slash was Slash not wanting to work on the material Axl had, they started to but heads when Axl refused some of Slash's snake pit work and Slash went ahead and did a solo album. After that it became "I'm not working on your stuff it isn't gnr enough" so eventually the split had to happen. 

Thats why in that China Exchange interview recently Axl says he was surprised to see Slash working so hard on the CD stuff without being asked bc the last time they worked together Slash didn't want to work hard or do anything. 

So in Axl's mind Slash prevented the proper evolvement of GNR and what became of the band isn't the vision Axl had, it's just what happened bc Slash didn't want to be part of it

I remember somewhere Slash saying either around the time UYI came out, or later in the 90s (forgot where it was, and forgot what wording he exactly used, so take with a grain of salt) that he was fine with all the the big ballad type things on UYI, but that there were so many, that it wasn't a good ratio of rockers to big production stuff like he wanted. Also that it was hard to work on so many complex (complex meaning not the simple verse-chorus-verse rockers like YCBM) songs that weren't his. 

9 hours ago, Slash787 said:

If a person wants to release music, they will release it. 

Slash did, Duff did, hell even Izzy and Steven did.

The record company could have forced Slash that if he only works with Axl, then only they will release his music, but well that din't happen. 

If Axl wanted to release music for the fans, he could have easily done it. 

It was probably easier for those guys to get solo stuff released than it was for Axl to get something released under the GNR name.

22 hours ago, Sosso said:

You should realize that Axl is living in his own world. His statements makes no sense very often. Slash is Axls Synonym for "Me and myself".

Axl Rose is a very talented songwriter and singer who has released one album of original songs since he was 29 years old and he's a 54 year old man now. There's absolutely no logic to that at all unless he had writer's block for almost three decades, but I don't think that is the case. It's just sad.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

Axl Rose is a very talented songwriter and singer who has released one album of original songs since he was 29 years old and he's a 54 year old man now. There's absolutely no logic to that at all unless he had writer's block for almost three decades, but I don't think that is the case. It's just sad.

Yeap. And still some people here on this forum think we need to chill out and not complain about new songs. 
We all know Axl, Slash and Duff are capable, even Richard can do some cool stuff as we have seem on Daisies. If they never get anything released, "All this", Chinese, Not in this Lifetime, all this WILL be buried. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I maintain my stance on stuff like this:

I don't think Axl thinks he's lying when he says stuff. I think he believes it whole heartedly when he says it. 

Dude is living in his own world...And lived in a slash conspiracy for years...

3 hours ago, default_ said:

Yeap. And still some people here on this forum think we need to chill out and not complain about new songs. 
We all know Axl, Slash and Duff are capable, even Richard can do some cool stuff as we have seem on Daisies. If they never get anything released, "All this", Chinese, Not in this Lifetime, all this WILL be buried. 

Axl's a private, kind of, different, guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he feels putting new music out if just exposing himself too much.

On September 27, 2016 at 9:41 AM, Wagszilla said:

There are a lot of reasons why they didn't happen: Record company politics, revolving door of producers, Axl being gun-shy, and the list goes on.

We got 14 finished songs on Chinese Democracy, 2 live-only songs, and 1 partial leak. 

So, being conservative, that means there's anywhere between 13 and 23 New GN'R songs out there from the pre-DJ Ashba era alone. 

There's approximately 10 songs that are in limited circulation.

I just hope that the NIN inspired industrial / Sean Beavan tracks are released at some point. 

I would love a new GN'R CD in whatever form, era, etc. I just love Guns N' Roses and Axl's creativity. 

No. I HOPE  that there is no NIN type of track. If I want to listen to industrial music, I'll listen to NIN. GNR is a blues based hard rock band.