How Many Bands Do You Have Total Familiarity With?

Dan H.

2 hours ago, Dan H. said:

I bet Len can name all 10 of The Sex Pistols songs

12 :D. Off the album that is, i can name you ever B side too...i can also name every song they ever covered too. In fact i can even name you songs they attempted to cover during studio sessions which they only got halfway through or just couldnt be bothered with (Johnny B Goode by Chuck Berry, Through My Eyes by The Creation :D ).  I can tell you The Pistols Mums n Dads names, where they were born, i can tell you John Lydons birthday, i can tell you what hospital at least two of em were born in, i can tell you where they went to school, i can tell you what football teams they all support, i can tell you Rottens Mum and Dads background, i have a RIDICULOUS amount of Sex Pistols knowledge.  John Rotten in particular i know a stupid amount about, i can tell you where his Mum and Dad are from, i can tell you about some of his closest mates, i can tell you lotsa music he's into, I could go on.  Whats odd about that is its just stuff i can recall from reading about it, i havent listened to The Sex Pistols in absolutely ages.

I could tell you a silly amount about The Stooges too, The Beatles, Johnny Thunders, i cant actually think of em all offhand but theres probably a few other bands like that.  A fair few in fact.  Tupac is another person i know a tremendous amount about.  I have a really good memory recall for things I'm interested in.  The Clash is another band i know a great deal about, approaching Pistolian levels actually.  The Who is another one, for as long as Moonie was with em.  Keith Moon in fact, another bloke i know ridiculous amounts about.  Nirvana are another one.  There's loads of em really, now i think about it.  I am Jacks wasted life :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

Obviously GNR

Bowie

Iggy Pop

Blue Oyster Cult

classic Alice Cooper

classic Black Sabbath and classic Ozzy

Led Zeppelin

Hendrix

Pink Floyd

classic KISS

GWAR

Mr Bungle

I also know the Metallica albums up to Load pretty much off by heart, even though I haven't really listened to Metallica for about 15 years or so.

9 hours ago, GivenToFly said:

Are you part of any Neutral Milk Hotel fan community and, if so, do they give you any shit for liking Guns N Roses?

Not any shit, no. Most of my friends are Neutral Milk Hotel types.

Sometimes they'll laugh in a sense that they didn't expect it. Most of them will say something positive about Slash and then hate on Axl.

I think its rock fans that are the ones that give me shit for liking Guns N' Roses, the NMH people couldn't give too shits. Too busy smoking ounces and listening to Pitchfork's top albums :lol:

"Hipsters" like me, at least in my circle of friends, they tend to just really like music in general. I don't hear a lot of band trash talking amongst them, but then again, my personality and the type of person I am puts me more in the hipster crowd. I bet if I was going around saying GNR is the best band in the world like some people in D&N or whatever, I would get shit (probably not entirely unfair). But no one in that group really has a favorite band, they don't look at bands like that, wearing T-shirts and joining forums and such. They probably just think GNR is a rock band with some good songs, but nothing special or interesting

Edited by Dan H.

For me it generally depends when I got into them. I know Metallica's entire catalogue back to front (Lulu aside), but I got into them when I had less disposable income and music wasn't so readily accessible. I'd get an album or two a month and that'd be it, and I'd listen over and over. With someone like Tori Amos (who I'd say is my favourite artist), I have spent less time getting to know her music because I got into her when Spotify was taking off and I could afford to buy multiple albums a month. I know her early stuff very well, but I'd be at a loss to name every song on American Doll Posse or Abnormally Attracted to Sin.

I'd say I know these catalogues very well:

Metallica

Alice Cooper (both group and solo)

Edguy

Avantasia

Children of Bodom

Guns n' Roses

Kreator

Type O Negative

3 hours ago, Dan H. said:

Not any shit, no. Most of my friends are Neutral Milk Hotel types.

Sometimes they'll laugh in a sense that they didn't expect it. Most of them will say something positive about Slash and then hate on Axl.

I think its rock fans that are the ones that give me shit for liking Guns N' Roses, the NMH people couldn't give too shits. Too busy smoking ounces and listening to Pitchfork's top albums :lol:

"Hipsters" like me, at least in my circle of friends, they tend to just really like music in general. I don't hear a lot of band trash talking amongst them, but then again, my personality and the type of person I am puts me more in the hipster crowd. I bet if I was going around saying GNR is the best band in the world like some people in D&N or whatever, I would get shit (probably not entirely unfair). But no one in that group really has a favorite band, they don't look at bands like that, wearing T-shirts and joining forums and such. They probably just think GNR is a rock band with some good songs, but nothing special or interesting

Reason why I'm asking is I've noticed some people on the internet (/mu/ types basically) look down on classic rock and on classic rock fans.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GivenToFly said:

Reason why I'm asking is I've noticed some people on the internet (/mu/ types basically) look down on classic rock and on classic rock fans.

Yeah /mu/ are a buncha buttholes. I don't have experience with online NMH fans, and I don't doubt that many of them are stuck up assholes. (the people that think that liking In The Aeroplane Over the Sea makes you some kind of music conosuer). Thing is, NMH isn't exactly underground or a cool independent find anymore(which is awesome, they deserve to be mainstream) so its weird that people still have that exclusivity attitude about them.

You see stuck up dickheads like that in most online music communities nowadays. MyGNR used to be pretty bad about band hatred to the point of threads getting derailed and locked. In recent years, the My World section has gotten to be a little more tolerant.

I try to avoid reddit now, all the main reddits are full of just really mean and shitty people. I hang on some tight knit music subreddits still, but for the most part its all gotten real ugly.

Just gotta get to a point where you realize that the kind of music you like isn't necessarily the kind of person you are. No one cares how much you like NMH, Tame Impala, or ANOHNI or whatever artsy band if you're a shitty person

Edited by Dan H.

I've always been a rather distanced - attempting to be (at least) objective - nerdy observer of the general subject of music rather than an outright aficionado of one particular band. The autograph hunting selfie loving nutter fan has no relation to me whatsoever. Even with Neil Young, I will freely admit that a few of his albums are complete turkeys, and that there are more ropier Rolling Stones albums than good.

• Like 2

Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Yes, Guns N' Roses, Anything Clapton such as The Yardbirds, Cream, Derek and the Dominos, Allman Brothers Band, The Beach Boys, The Who, The Kinks, Stevie Ray  Vaughan, AC/DC, The Clash, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, Pink Floyd

I know everyone is pretty much familiar with everything but I listen to a good song by any of these groups, I can't help but collect as many of their work as I can. 

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

• 2 weeks later...

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

These two needed to make a fuckin' hip hop duo, can you imagine Pac and Snoop in 96 making an album together?  Would've been lethal.

Would've been a classic. They really had a natural chemistry, flowed really good together. Only did a few songs and they were all sick.

Edited by J Dog

Too many to name.

I've listened to music since I was a kid in the 80's. My mom would watch MTV and record the Headbanger's ball and we would watch it on Sundays with my whole family. Also since my mom was a hard rock and metal fan, she would buy the records and play them. I've loved music since then and up until now.

So many bands too many to name.

17 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

me too...i reeled off a lot of info to my d i always talk music for some reaYouson ) and he was impressed :lol:

But i have total guns knowledge just to be clear. Its something you're born with. You Cant compare my life's work with what you think you know, no offense dear. Smileyface.

• Like 1