Do we think Axl is consciously preserving his voice?

2 hours ago, Jw224 said:

Yeah it's kinda sad he's just choosing not to put effort into GNR like he is AC/DC. 

Nah.... Because of:

2 hours ago, itsy said:

AC/DC and Guns N' Roses have completely different sounding songs, especially vocally.  I do not think it is fair to suggest he is working harder for AC/DC because of this.

• Like 1

i wish he'd use the voice in the Rolling Stones video more, but instead he still tries to sing like in the November Rain video and he just doesn't have that one anymore. 

That mid range in the NR video is gone for whatever reason, but when he's unsure of something I think he sounds brilliant in the Rolling Stones song. It's a great way to sound good and preserve the voice 

On 28/09/2016 at 3:03 PM, TrixAreForKids said:

Yeah TWAT here is awful from everyone actually. 

I always feel TWAT in the verses' is a horrible song to sing - even the recorded version sounds a little out (I know its not - but it just has that feel to it). Generally you'd be hard pushed to make that song sound amazing live. Strange choice of song for them to go for.

As for his voice it is a little odd - the CD material has been written in such a way that its hard to do live. Most of the studio versions are done with dual vocals (as in a take with every other line) and there are words crammed in everywhere half the time.

Hi guys, New member here and thought this was an interesting topic to chime in on. I think the point that Axl is just used to singing his songs a certain way is closest to the truth. If you take a look at some songs in the setlist like Nightrain or patience you can that he has made an effort to move from his weak mid-range to a more deep range like what you hear Chinese Democracy chorus. For example

Patience in Coachella towards the beginning of the tour (5:10 for outro):

Patience in Toronto halfway through the tour (5:20 for outro)

It's not his true mid-range that we're used to from the 90s but IMO it sound's pretty good and powerful compared to the Coachella version.

Edited by electrckoolaid
  • Like 1

I think whoever Axl got as his vocal coach before he toured with GNR must be amazing.

As soon as GNR hit the stage and Axl starting singing "It's so easy" my brother and I looked at each other and said "What did Axl do to his voice" He sounds like he did in 1991!

Right after we saw the show in Arlington, AXS showed the concert from Vegas and as soon as Axl hit the stage you could tell his voice sounded totally different.

I think he was saving his real GNR voice for the reunion.

As for singing with AC/DC from what I saw online, Axl nailed those shows too!

Axl has been holding out on us! lol

• 4 weeks later...

In the TWAT/Patience video that is just an example of him going back and forth between his chest voice and his falsetto voice.  It sounds to me like TWAT is written right on the break in his voice so he was going back and forth a bit ...and a guy's falsetto voice is always going to be weaker and less raspy (easier on the vocal cords, although harder to control).  Patience is a song in a much lower range so he sang that whole song using his chest voice which is always stronger because that's the voice you use to speak with.

But even if he is "saving" his voice, can you blame him?  It's something all singers have to do.  If he went up there and sang in raspy, full voice every night his voice wouldn't last 6 months.

• Like 2