What is "mainstream" music in your country?

Mendez

Where I am in surrounding are of Los Angeles, it is a vast majority of pop music, followed by rap music. Rock is no where to be seen. There are those newer rock/indie bands like Yellowcard and The 1975, but none are making waves amongst the general public.

Irrespective of rock music, do you not believe that mainstream music is as popular as mainstream music was in, say, the '90s or earlier? Top of the Pops was cancelled years ago! It seems to me that music in toto, i.e. regardless of genre,l has been marginalised in favour of games, social media and other gadgets.

33 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Irrespective of rock music, do you not believe that mainstream music is as popular as mainstream music was in, say, the '90s or earlier? Top of the Pops was cancelled years ago! It seems to me that music in toto, i.e. regardless of genre,l has been marginalised in favour of games, social media and other gadgets.

Yeah I'd agree with that, lets face it pop music was just disposable entertainment for the masses really, whatever ideas some might have had about it being art or whatever, it was just a commodity marketed to youth and the minute it was replaceable with something else kids wanted it has been replaced.  Its chief legacy i think is turning a few generations of working and middle classes on to the idea of music as art and left it for them to take on from there.

going by what most of my friends listen to and what i hear most blaring from the endless pick up trucks driving by i'm going to say country is what is mainstream here.

my dr made a statement once that he is a rock guy but since rock has changed so much he listens to country because they still play guitars. that is in his words so idk if i agree. i listen to KOZZ classic rock whenever i listen to the radio. i usually just play CD's :shrugs:

I have no idea.

I simply have no contact with the mainstream, there is no occasion for me to hear it. In a cafe they will usually keep a low volume and play slow stuff anyway, in a supermarket I'll only spend a few minutes at the time, pubs I go to are more likely to play classics, I don't listen to radio (I guess most people who listen to radio do it in their car? I don't have one), I don't go to clubs.

I went to a party a few years ago and people were playing songs off youtube and somebody played something that everybody recognized, that I had absolutely zero familiarity with. I looked at the screen and it had FIVE HUNDRED MILLION VIEWS. That was around 2012 before videos would routinely go above a billion. So this song, massive by this measure, I hadn't even heard in passing. Showed me how out of touch I am.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you mean like, mainstream music that's particular to your country? or music that is successful in your country regardless of where it comes from? If it's the latter, then more or less the same pop, rock, hip-hop and electronic dance music that you'd get in most Western countries...

Artists that are 'mainstream' and from Scotland include:

Biffy Clyro (probably Scotland's favourite Scottish band at the moment, I guess it shows that rock isn't really dead)

CHVRCHES

Calvin Harris is probably the most successful Scottish artist at the moment (maybe even of all time at this point in terms of records sold/money made):

Other artists from Scotland who've done well here and elsewhere include:

Paolo Nutini, Twin Atlantic, Frightened Rabbit, The Twilight Sad, Admiral Fallow, Franz Ferdinand, Travis, The Xcerts, Emeli Sande, KT Tunstall, The Proclaimers, The Fratellis, Belle and Sebastian, half of Snow Patrol, Texas, Deacon Blue, Glasvegas, Idlewild, Boards of Canada, The View, Fatherson, Arab Strap, Amy MacDonald...

Going back into the past, you had Big Country, Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits, Simple Minds, The Blue Nile, Runrig, Sheena Easton, Average White Band, Aztec Camera, Gerry Rafferty, the Bay City Rollers, Primal Scream, Annie Lennox of the Eurythmics,David Byrne of Talking Heads, Camera Obscura, Cocteau Twins, Bert Jansch, John Martyn, Edwyn Collins, Del Amitri, Hue & Cry, Teenage Fanclub, Nazareth, most of the original line-up of AC/DC, Al Stewart, The Vaselines, The Waterboys, Wet Wet Wet, Ultravox, fuckin... Lulu...

Not bad for a small country, really.

i need to clarify my post, for some reason i was thinking county and not country. and i have no idea what mainstream is in the whole country though i would guess pop or adult contemporary. all i know is they had Florida on Good Morning America and they had to bleep half his song even though there were young kids in the audience who heard the profanity he was singing. doesn't make sense to me :shrugs:

• 1 month later...