New album this year rumour

On 10/19/2016 at 4:10 PM, Apollo said:

It's just rock and roll music. It actually is pretty easy for these guys. It's what they do for s living. 

From Axl's mouth he has between 25-to-50 songs that are complete. Slash has show he likes to put out an album every couple years. 

Axl could let Slash/Duff pick their three favorite remaining CD songs.

Slash could bring three of his current songs to the table. 

Each guy brings a cover. 

And they can write 4 songs together. 

That's an album that could be released next summer. 

Axl can package the remaining CD songs for an album this Christmas and simutaniously sell the remix album on  iTunes. And that would close out the Replacement Era. 

I play in a band myself and i agree. In my band it is at least just rock n roll music. In Guns it's more of a business and a lot of interested parties from the individual members to the record label. A lot of stars need to align before anything will get released.

Axl is a perfectionist and won't release anything until he's ready and happy with it (and i like that about him). That in itself is probably enough to stop a release any time soon. I suspect we might get a greatest hits or a remix album with a new song next year. Perhaps a live DVD of a show. But this is just guesswork and going on what has happened over the last 20+ years then history tells us it could be another very long wait. I hope not though. I certainly don't expect to see 12+ new songs but here's hoping!

Also Slash and Duff have signed up to do live show's.  At this point people are just hoping it stays together so Guns can continue and make money. The rumors of Slash recording were probably just that. I personally think he was laying his own solos and other parts on CHIDEM tracks to see how it fit and perhaps let Axl hear them before taking the show live.

On 10/20/2016 at 3:32 PM, Jw224 said:

I don't understand people's obsession on here with Axl singing Queen songs. He can't sing them, he's terrible at them. 

So are most people. Freddie was a fantastic singer.

All I see is, GnR have three records. Appetite with the original five. Illusion which has only three of them (basically). Chinese with only Axl. 5,3,1.

Next album, Illusion style with three of the original members. Then final album with the original five. 5,3,1,3,5. The high and low, the times and life of Gn'R.

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

All I see is, GnR have three records. Appetite with the original five. Illusion which has only three of them (basically). Chinese with only Axl. 5,3,1.

Next album, Illusion style with three of the original members. Then final album with the original five. 5,3,1,3,5. The high and low, the times and life of Gn'R.

Mind blown. It all makes sense now. By 2032 we will have the next AFD with all 5.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wasted said:

I see a Chinese Illusion hybrid album

I can see that. Maybe with appetite like guitar interplay with slash and fortus at least on some the harder rocking tunes.

i think if it does come out it will feature illusion rasp on some songs, many ballads and epics, and slash will get to solo a lot probably, but it seems like there's a chance axl will keep some of the work from robin and bucket. I wonder how axl will use slash. Maybe in some tunes like a bumble add on. Like how in some songs he re recorded entire solos, others just rhythm like in Chinese. Or maybe slash will come up with brilliant shit and will play lead on every tune. Not sure which option is better but if it's chinese material again, many different styles of guitar playing might work better. I mean, listen to how Chinese democracy the song sounds live now. It works well with fortus playing bucket's solo and slash playing updated robin solo and outro. This can work.

Edited by Rovim

21 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I can see that. Maybe with appetite like guitar interplay with slash and fortus at least on some the harder rocking tunes.

i think if it does come out it will feature illusion rasp on some songs, many ballads and epics, and slash will get to solo a lot probably, but it seems like there's a chance axl will keep some of the work from robin and bucket. I wonder how axl will use slash. Maybe in some tunes like a bumble add on. Like how in some songs he re recorded entire solos, others just rhythm like in Chinese. Or maybe slash will come up with brilliant shit and will play lead on every tune. Not sure which option is better but if it's chinese material again, many different styles of guitar playing might work better. I mean, listen to how Chinese democracy the song sounds live now. It works well with fortus playing bucket's solo and slash playing updated robin solo and outro. This can work.

It's really how the new stuff blends with the old. But Scraped snd Sorry sound pretty different to most of CD. A Costanzo Slash session. It could be an even split. 6 reworked CD songs, 6 new Slash rockers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think it is, more that perfectionist per se, that Axl is a Lucas type character, a tinkerer. He probably believes he is a perfectionist, but being a perfectionist implies some end perfect product.

Brilliant point, it's worth noting that, for a man whoose apparently a perfectionist, the stuff thats come out that he's had a heavier hand in the production etc of (i.e. Illusions, Spag' Incident, Chi Dem) haven't really been of the best quality, the closest they come to a perfect product is Appetite and that wasn't The Axl Show.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Brilliant point, it's worth noting that, for a man whoose apparently a perfectionist, the stuff thats come out that he's had a heavier hand in the production etc of (i.e. Illusions, Spag' Incident, Chi Dem) haven't really been of the best quality, the closest they come to a perfect product is Appetite and that wasn't The Axl Show.

He is obsessive though as a musician. I think what Brian May said is probably true. He said that  Axl is utterly meticulous when it comes to recording his music. Alice cooper said on his illusions guest recording that he did many, many vocal takes and thought 'it must be good enough' but Axl made him do more takes until it was good enough for him.

Edited by Rovim

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

He is obsessive though as a musician. I think what Brian May said is probably true. He said that  Axl is utterly meticulous when it comes to recording his music. Alice cooper said on his illusions guest recording that he did many, many vocal takes and thought 'it must be good enough' but Axl made him do more takes until it was good enough for him.

I think obsessive it the word to describe his 'ideas' maybe he 'thinks' he's  a perfectionist but as many have said CD is far from perfect. IMO.

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

That could just as easily be ineptitude.  You do something again and again and again and again and it's never quite right and eventually you just settle for one.  I'd buy that as an example of perfectionism if what had come out was something mind-blowing but it weren't.  Not to constantly preach from the gospel of punk but thats symptomatic of a kind of ineptitude.  Genius is like knowing what you want and knowing how to get it, like a clear vision of something and then knocking it out, not piss-farting around for 15 years givin' everyone that knows you the hump and ending up putting out a load of flannel.  

Whats equally sad about this all is that when you listening to some of the demos of Illusions and Chi Dem there's some bangin' tracks in there, which to me puts forth the notion that maybe their vision was a load of bollocks because what they ended up with didn't always necessarily fulfill the promise of the demos.  I mean listen to the TWAT demo, to me thats a seriously solid tune and better than what ended up on the album.  Which means, what exactly, that Axls vision was a bit naff that weekend.  Perhaps whats important is instinct not intellect.  OR perhaps its a case of something setting aside some vague vision in your head of how you want a thing to be so as not to fuck up whats good about what you've got in front of you.  

Albums like The White Album, London Calling, Exile on Main Street, which apparently is what Axl was sort of aiming for with the Illusionses, these things were not epic by design, they were epic by default, being the consequence of a group of musicians just bristling over with idea after musical idea that they committed to record and chucked out there, these people were hungry for studio time and to make music and they didn't even take 6 months doing it, let alone 4 or 5 or 15 years.  You don't set this shit up, it either happens or it doesn't.

That said i admire people with lofty ambitions, even if they do outweigh their talents.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

That could just as easily be ineptitude.  You do something again and again and again and again and it's never quite right and eventually you just settle for one.  I'd buy that as an example of perfectionism if what had come out was something mind-blowing but it weren't.  Not to constantly preach from the gospel of punk but thats symptomatic of a kind of ineptitude.  Genius is like knowing what you want and knowing how to get it, like a clear vision of something and then knocking it out, not piss-farting around for 15 years givin' everyone that knows you the hump and ending up putting out a load of flannel.  

Whats equally sad about this all is that when you listening to some of the demos of Illusions and Chi Dem there's some bangin' tracks in there, which to me puts forth the notion that maybe their vision was a load of bollocks because what they ended up with didn't always necessarily fulfill the promise of the demos.  I mean listen to the TWAT demo, to me thats a seriously solid tune and better than what ended up on the album.  Which means, what exactly, that Axls vision was a bit naff that weekend.  Perhaps whats important is instinct not intellect.  OR perhaps its a case of something setting aside some vague vision in your head of how you want a thing to be so as not to fuck up whats good about what you've got in front of you.  

Albums like The White Album, London Calling, Exile on Main Street, which apparently is what Axl was sort of aiming for with the Illusionses, these things were not epic by design, they were epic by default, being the consequence of a group of musicians just bristling over with idea after musical idea that they committed to record and chucked out there, these people were hungry for studio time and to make music and they didn't even take 6 months doing it, let alone 4 or 5 or 15 years.  You don't set this shit up, it either happens or it doesn't.

That said i admire people with lofty ambitions, even if they do outweigh their talents.

Excellent post. 

I think that great art can come from being painstakingly meticulous and laborious over your endeavor -- Kubrick and Terrence Malick were master auteurs with a relatively small body of work compared to their peers. Malick takes years between his films.

More often than not, the most sublime art is usually the type that is spontaneous and in the moment -- the artist, in a fit of inspiration sketches out their vision and the genius is captured in that single moment of time. Appetite for Destruction would be an example of that. Whenever the artist goes back and keeps revising their vision again and again, more often than not, the end result is diluted and unfocused -- the verve of the art is lost. Hence the Illusion/Chi Dem demos being superior to their final releases.

The original cut of The Last of the Mohicans is superior to every single director's cut that Michael Mann releases. The more he tinkers with it, the worse that original classic film gets. 

Axl Pose has a truly unique vision, but he works better as part of a great team who can help him realize his creative ambitions. The guy doesn't understand his limitations as an artist and therein lies the problem.

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

The thing is that I don't believe axl is not talented enough or not capable so that's why he tinkers and doesn't release anything for years. This is not about talent. And I agree about how you define a genius, but axl is no genius, he's just a talented musician so it's not really relevant. The way I see it, the importance of a guns album cripples him. The process of creating music, tinkering with the same tunes for years and not letting it go is more a by product of the way he is as a person I suspect. the vision for 2 albums with vocals was there in 1999. It's not that he didn't know what he wanted musically and was totally lost. It took 2 years to put together an album. It's only fair that we take into consideration axl did give the label the 1999 version of Chinese. Maybe that was good enough? We'll never know. One thing I always go back to is that axl is insecure as an artist and there is like a quality standard in his head and as time passes and new ideas pop up, he goes back to it thinking it could be better. The definition of perfect or good music or what makes a great guns album is probably different in how he perceives it compared to you. He thought it was a great idea to use mostly clean voice in a guns album with 5 orchestras and shredding. It's tricky, cause he has to find a balance between what he likes and what the fans want to hear cause I think he cares a lot about making a grand musical statement with every guns album.

Edited by Rovim

I think we are mixing up Axl being meticulous in recording and why CD took so long. Half the time it's not Axl's recording technique, it was rec company wanting something different than what he handed in. 

People have disagreed but CD is a mixtape of albums produced by Beavan, Roy Baker, Costanzo. They weren't always re-recording the same songs over and over. There were other songs. 

Tommy thought the Beavan record was fine but the label called it too raw. But really they didn't want a NIN or Marilyn manson record from GNR. That's why they drafted in the Queen producer. 

In 2000 Axl was ready to mix. They told him no it wasn't. So who's the perfectionist? By 2000 it was ready. 

So I don't think CD duration is evidence of Axl's crazy perfectionism. 

Also his perfectionism led to songs like Nov Rain and Estranged. So it's not all bad, i guess if you are doing multi part songs they can't be too sloppy

Edited by wasted
Soppy
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't believe Axl's ambition outweighs his talent, nor do I believe this cobblers about him being a merticulous perfectionist or about the evil record company stopping Axl from releasing CD sooner or turning away subsequent albums.

I think Axl Rose is lazy. Why bother to go to the effort of making a new record when the plebs will quite happily pay to watch him perform the same 30 year old songs over and over again, year in, year out?

It's quite clear that Axl isn't motivated by creativity anymore. I don't think writing 4-5 songs in 25 years and then poaching session musicians from NIN to come up with some riffs and licks for you to sing over is the sign of an inspired man with a creative vision.

GNR fans need to stop making excuses for Axl and start calling a spade a spade. Axl Rose is one lazy man.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

Had Axl ever been asked and has he ever responded to those types of questions? Surely one journalist has brought it up  

One album in 25 years, but you've talked about having tons of music recorded and in the can. How come you don't want to share that music with your fans? 

How come you spent so much time  working on - and tinkering and adding so many layers to the CD songs? Most people think that rawer versions of the songs were much better than the final version. Why did that happen? Do you see yourself as a perfectionist? Lazy? Scared the fans wouldn't like the songs?

Basically - what's your explanation of spending 13 years and 14 million dollars on one album?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Apollo said:

Had Axl ever been asked and has he ever responded to those types of questions? Surely one journalist has brought it up  

One album in 25 years, but you've talked about having tons of music recorded and in the can. How come you don't want to share that music with your fans? 

How come you spent so much time  working on - and tinkering and adding so many layers to the CD songs? Most people think that rawer versions of the songs were much better than the final version. Why did that happen? Do you see yourself as a perfectionist? Lazy? Scared the fans wouldn't like the songs?

Basically - what's your explanation of spending 13 years and 14 million dollars on one album?

It's all been covered. I think Axl was quoted as not wanting to lay up a brick, would rather have a future than bomb now. But as we see from Chinese whispers around 1999,2000 he was ready to go, but the label wanted to sell more, to save the label. They rejected the raw Beavan record. It was mastered if I remember correct.

But they weren't getting a hit. It all really stems from it not being GNR really, they weren't making music as digestible or as commercial as old Aero/Elton GNR. Korn or NIN don't sell 20 million records. GNR's time was over maybe anyway. Spag inc wasnt a huge seller. Since and Aint in Fun are pretty good GNR singles. 

14 million is a red herring. Because they just wasted it paying over the odds on equipment. Guns made the rec company 100s of millions. 14 mil was a drop in the ocean and would be payed back if CD sold 1.4 mil world wide. They were hoping 20 mil in 2000. GNR was the cash cow. This was the band that could do these numbers. Average rock albums sold 4 mil back then. You got to put it in context. 

I think we would have got more if they released the beavan record and it sold okay. Then Axl could have put out some of the other material. It neverr got off the ground. Best buy was the bail out. The label wouldnt release more of that kind of stuff in 2010. Maybe its not GNR sounding at all. Nobody from the rec company has come out and said they want more CD like material. The fans didn't like it that much. 

Maybe with Slash on board the rec company will pay for studio time. As of 2004 Axl was cut off. 

• Like 2