how good is Garden of Eden

Always enjoyed it. Good, fast riff. Axl saying some real shit. Kind of overlooked and underrated imo.

"I ain't superstitious but I know when something's wrong. I been dragging my heels with a bitch called hope, let the undercurrent drag me along!"

At the start of the Skin N' Bones tour, 'Garden Of Eden' took the place of 'Mr. Brownstone' for a couple of shows as the second song in the set.  A very welcome change after almost 2 years.

Unfortunately the song was soon abandoned, probably impossible to sing live...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ludurigan said:

what slash did on illusions with izzys guitar and what axl did with sound effects (farts) and all the plastic clean production is beyond pathetic

this rehearsal version rocks at least 18 times more than the final version and by the look of it this is a writing session

Read the explanations. Slash wanted a big guitar heavy sound. You can get that by recording two gtrs only left and right, but the more effective method is doubling left and right. Izzy didn't want to overdub his parts because he thought it was good as it was and he also wanted a rawer sound closer  to AFD... But UYI wasn't / isn't AFD so that just wouldn't have worked on all the songs. I wish Izzy was mixed a little higher on the illusions albums. I love the interplay on AFD: UYI for the most part lacked that because Slash had to overdub Izzy's parts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Apollo said:

Do you think anybody who wasn't a die-hard GnR fan would agree with that?

To answer that you'd have to first come to an agreement what actually is the worst song on UYI. Then you'd have to have me reveal what bands albums I was talking about. Since the first requirement cant be met because everyone feels differently this is impossible to answer. If I was to cut the UYI albums into one single album that would be the follow up to AFD, Garden of Eden would be on it because to me it sounds like a track that would belong there and the kinda track fans would want the follow up to AFD to have. Worst (but still fucking great) is You Aint The First to me. And since that's not really a "rock" song, this question once again proves impossible to answer because it would be non-sensical in that case..impossible.

17 hours ago, ludurigan said:

what slash did on illusions with izzys guitar and what axl did with sound effects (farts) and all the plastic clean production is beyond pathetic

this rehearsal version rocks at least 18 times more than the final version and by the look of it this is a writing session

can someone take that snippit and isolate axl's lyrics over - damn! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

At the start of the Skin N' Bones tour, 'Garden Of Eden' took the place of 'Mr. Brownstone' for a couple of shows as the second song in the set.  A very welcome change after almost 2 years.

Unfortunately the song was soon abandoned, probably impossible to sing live...

At least they tried, Don't Damn Me hasn't even been attempted i would have thought that would be easier to sing.

17 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Slash was asked once why don't damn me wasn't played. He said the words are too fast. Someone should remind him that they played Garden of eden

Axl should get some tips from Tom Araya because he seems to be able to sing, well yell anyway, at a fairly rapid pace while playing a bass!