Slash Interview 2016 (nothing about new music or the reunion)

Some cool bits. The part where he talks about his UYI tour overdose was particularly interesting, "The night I died was actually a bad ending to a wonderful evening. It was sort of funny. I had gotten into a massive argument with my fiancée and I thought, ‘Fuck it, I’m in Frisco,’ which is smack heaven, ‘I’m going to get loaded’. So I did but I used a little too much. It was fun for a while, then I passed out in the hotel hallway for eight minutes. They told me later that I died. I came round in the hospital and checked myself out because we had a show the next night. I overdosed the morning after one gig and then died – so I guess that counts as a day off – then got up and played the next night. I’m pretty durable like that, it didn’t phase me. I guess that puts Axl not getting up onstage into perspective.”

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-09-27/slash-interview-guns-n-roses-myles-kennedy 

13 hours ago, starlight said:

He always talks about that event as if it was nothing serious...he seems to avoid the dramatic aspect of his drug abuse

Yes he does, agree with you.

Sometimes it makes me wonder if he talks about it like that to avoid thinking about it too much, about what could have happened, etc ... so its easier for him to deal with it that way ...

I never really heard others talk about that night ... must have been a weird night for everyone ...

Edited by RooSaa
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, passenger57 said:

Slash doesn't worry about things most of us are scared of, like death. He's just like 'whatever' Wish I could be more like that.

It isn't uncommon for people who are as fucked up on drugs as Slash was at that time to not care about the fact that they nearly/did briefly die. All they care about are the drugs and will go straight back to using them as soon they can crawl to them. You see that same story time after time. That is not really something to look up to. That is horrifying and sad that drugs take over their life that badly. Sooner or later if they don't get control of their addiction then they may not be so lucky the next time. Slash was lucky. There are many, many more out there that aren't lucky.

A family friend just lost her fiancee to an overdose recently. Apparently they cut heroine with fentanyl these days.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

It isn't uncommon for people who are as fucked up on drugs as Slash was at that time to not care about the fact that they nearly/did briefly die. All they care about are the drugs and will go straight back to using them as soon they can crawl to them. You see that same story time after time. That is not really something to look up to. That is horrifying and sad that drugs take over their life that badly. Sooner or later if they don't get control of their addiction then they may not be so lucky the next time. Slash was lucky. There are many, many more out there that aren't lucky.

A family friend just lost her fiancee to an overdose recently. Apparently they cut heroine with fentanyl these days.

I dont think you get what he meant. He is talking about Slash these days, many years after it and after many years of sobriety, talking about it that way. Not back in his drugged up days. Which is what you were refering to. I have to agree with starlight on this

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

21 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I dont think you get what he meant. He is talking about Slash these days, many years after it and after many years of sobriety, talking about it that way. Not back in his drugged up days. Which is what you were refering to. I have to agree with starlight on this

At the time it happened it was likely much more traumatizing for the people around him than it was for him. His loved ones were the ones who had to be terrified, stressed and worried. Slash remembers it as blacking out and waking up in the hospital. It was many years later before he got sober.

I guess I don't see why Slash talking about something that happened many years ago that he remembers as blacking out and waking up in a hospital is incredible. People talk about their near death experiences all the time. Even Duff has talked about two of his near death experiences. The one when he was a kid and the one when his pancreas went bad.  Time and distance from a traumatizing event softens the sharp edges in most people. 

With that said! I don't know what Slash thinks of death.

I am uncertain if most people are terrified of death. I am not. I fear death in the people I love and fear what my death would do to the people who love me, but that is all. Everyone has fears and weaknesses.  If someone wants Slash to be strong in the face of death so they can find strength to face that particular fear then more power to them! Finding something to help inspire you to help find your own strength is admirable. 

15 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Ditto 

20 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

I agree this is true. I also remember Slash talking about his heart problem and he kinda had the same attitude, didn't care if he died or not. But I guess the main thing I was trying to convey is he kicked drugs and alcohol and lives his life now in a way that I admire. Duff as well.