27 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

shes there due to axl's insecurity he needs a large buffer around him and the originals so his throne doesn't feel threatened ...sad but true

True? Do you have an inside source who confirms that Axl's ego is being stepped on because Slash and Duff are there on stage with him? :facepalm:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

True? Do you have an inside source who confirms that Axl's ego is being stepped on because Slash and Duff are there on stage with him? :facepalm:

no smart guy, but since dizzy was unecessarily put in the band and knowing the history of axl taking majority claim of the band - it would appear that the extra add ons are solely there to consolidate power

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

no smart guy, but since dizzy was unecessarily put in the band and knowing the history of axl taking majority claim of the band - it would appear that the extra add ons are solely there to consolidate power

Have you thought that maybe, just MAYBE, she's there for the music? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

shes there due to axl's insecurity he needs a large buffer around him and the originals so his throne doesn't feel threatened ...sad but true

That's my view on this too... Axl just needs to make a mark - she's there not because it adds to the music or performance but because this way he stays in control.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

Have you thought that maybe, just MAYBE, she's there for the music? 

ROFL - shes cute and probably good at what she does but this is GNR man 

if you really wanted to be nice about it, she probably has a great female vibe and friendly presence that keeps the guys on an even keel 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

ROFL - shes cute and probably good at what she does but this is GNR man 

if you really wanted to be nice about it, she probably has a great female vibe and friendly presence that keeps the guys on an even keel 

She can probably also do Tracey, Roberta, Teddy Andreadis, and the horn section's jobs all at once with all that gear she has on stage.

2 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

no because Pitman thought his role was bigger than what it was 

I'm pretty sure Pitman thought he was all that for 20 years. Apparently Axl had no problem with it until the threeunion & his drunken FB post. They were hanging out at Axl's house the day of the wildfire.

My point being, obviously Axl still calls the shots. But I don't follow the logic that Melissa being there has anything to do with helping him not feel his "throne being threatened". 

To the people complaining... When I saw them live, I barely even really noticed her presence on stage - so it doesn't really bother me that she's there. She seems like a nice girl and seems to be getting along well with Slash and Duff based on the Instagram pics (she has more with them than she does with Axl, btw)  -- so meh, it's whatever. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Estranged Reality said:

To the people complaining... When I saw them live, I barely even really noticed her presence on stage - so it doesn't really bother me that she's there. She seems like a nice girl and seems to be getting along well with Slash and Duff based on the Instagram pics (she has more with them than she does with Axl, btw)  -- so meh, it's whatever. 

Exactly this. When I went to Chicago with a friend, he sent me a text a couple days later that said something like "Hey I was watching a video of our show on YouTube and just now noticed there was a chick to the right side of the stage the whole night!". We were in the pit on Slash's side of the stage and he still didn't even notice she was there.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Estranged Reality said:

Exactly! It seems she's pretty tight with Duff & Slash. I haven't seen any pics of her offstage with Axl. I don't think she's there to make him feel good. It's because she's very talented, and they have a need for the role she fills live, although some people can't stand it. I understand that, although I disagree.

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Exactly this. When I went to Chicago with a friend, he sent me a text a couple days later that said something like "Hey I was watching a video of our show on YouTube and just now noticed there was a chick to the right side of the stage the whole night!". We were in the pit on Slash's side of the stage and he still didn't even notice she was there.

You and ER can add me to Team Didn't Notice Melissa. And that's the problem. She goes unoticed (at least for some of us that is the case) yet she is there. Then why is she there when there are people who don't even notice her nor she seems to add anything special to the show? Unless she is helping the band in some other capacity, like show production ideas or something more tangible that we have not been told about it yet. I don't think it's worthy having her.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

this is just nonsense. as i have said MANY times on here i saw them in Vegas the first night and Slash and Duff clustered around Axl a LOT. and after, when Axl was mobile again i don't recall him hanging around Melissa but he did touch and joke with Slash a lot. probably with Duff as well; i haven't seen pics but since he has obviously reconciled with Slash he'd have no probably w/Duff IMO.

enjoy stirring the pot though...smh

14 minutes ago, Pink Rose said:

Yes, Axl has very serious mental health and control issues.  That's the real reason he'll only let two of the originals in "his" band and won't let Izzy (his childhood friend) or Steven back in.  He needs to keep the hired hands, those he thinks are "loyal" to him, his yes men, those that he can easily control.  A real reunion would threaten his control.  

The 2 ultimate yes men, Pitman & DJ are gone, so...

This thread is about Melissa. She appeared out of no where. The only evidence we have is that she spends more time with Duff's family than anyone else connected to the band. 

Here's a thought- maybe Duff & Slash agree that she's worthy of being in the band? Or are they afraid of getting the corn from the iron fist of Axl if they step out of line? :lol: 

It's not like she's featured during the shows. If you don't like her, don't look at the way back of the stage for her. You'll never notice.

1 hour ago, Pink Rose said:

Yes, Axl has very serious mental health and control issues.  That's the real reason he'll only let two of the originals in "his" band and won't let Izzy (his childhood friend) or Steven back in.  He needs to keep the hired hands, those he thinks are "loyal" to him, his yes men, those that he can easily control.  A real reunion would threaten his control.  

:facepalm: So you're a Psychologist thats treated Axl . Have to laugh at these kinds of comments.

30 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

this is just nonsense. as i have said MANY times on here i saw them in Vegas the first night and Slash and Duff clustered around Axl a LOT. and after, when Axl was mobile again i don't recall him hanging around Melissa but he did touch and joke with Slash a lot. probably with Duff as well; i haven't seen pics but since he has obviously reconciled with Slash he'd have no probably w/Duff IMO.

enjoy stirring the pot though...smh

not trying to stir pot just stating obvious - axl likes having an entourage of musicians outside of orignals and she is part of that 

6 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

10 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

not trying to stir pot just stating obvious - axl likes having an entourage of musicians outside of orignals and she is part of that 

sorry i somehow read this as she is there as a buffer to keep Slash and Duff away from him. honest mistake...

I think that she could contribute something to the next album… keyboards, synthesizers, piano, mellotron, sub bass, synth orchestra, vocals and other things like songwriting, co-production,  digital editing, etc.

Edited by Sosso

11 hours ago, Sosso said:

I think that she could contribute something to the next album… keyboards, synthesizers, piano, mellotron, sub bass, synth orchestra, vocals and other things like songwriting, co-production,  digital editing, etc.

And that's the problem, lol!

I have watched a few of the clips of NITL and really you can only hear her in Chinese Democracy and it's not like she can make this song any better or worse for those who like it / dislike it. She just doesn't matter. And that's the problem really. I can try and pinpoint the issue I think many anti-Melissa people have: she is not a matter by herself, she's just another symptom of an illness that's been plaguing this band since 91. Really, even her blue hair and headphones are not a big thing (not for me at least, I'm probably one of the few here who are really into EDM so I don't mind synthetic music or anything that comes with it). The problem is she's just another element that takes away from what could (maybe) be a huge comeback.

What made GNR so big (and some of us maybe unconsciously wished for now) was that they were real - in the age of glitchy, hairy metal they brought in rawness, no-bulshiting, no-add ons, just the bare, real thing. They didn't create music ABOUT something, they WERE the music they played. That's why even now watching some of the early gigs makes you want to get a time machine and get there - no matter that they really weren't technically half as good as this GNR is now. But it was so short-lasting, the UYI thing was already a beginning of the end. I think Axl's quotes about Izzy delivering half-baked demos instead of real-deal parts is very telling - he didn't want that rawness. He went into meticulous production of every little sound, both on record and live. And in effect they became just another band with big production, perfect marketing plan and huge entourage of lawyers, managers and hanger ons. What made them special in the first place is that they delivered music that everyone thought was not marketable. And yet so many people wanted it! But they didn't follow that route and instead chose a "safe" path to commercial success.

Now, history is repeating. They could try and deliver something unexpected, defying music bussiness logic - but that would be a high risk venture (imo, no artist at their age is capable of that). They could go a bit smaller and simply try to bring some rawness and freshness to current r'n'r. But again they went in another direction, and I as many here think it's Axl's decision. That's why we had Dizzy, Paul Huge, 3 gutarists, a horn section, Pitman and now we have Melissa. She's such a great example of where all this goes wrong that she get's far more flame than she deserves.

Btw. I think that's also the reason they don't want Izzy as a partner - he would pull them towards a road that is not half as commercially viable as another, well-played reunion. For those that remember what made Appetite years so great, the lack of Izzy and the presence of Melissa epitomizes chosing commercialy viable music over what made this band huge in the first place.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sosso said:

God no... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

I wouldn't mind a song with Duff and Melissa on lead vocals. That would be really interesting.

Maybe they will do a solo album together. 

Axl has released one album of original music in the last 25 years. If he releases an album in 2017 and one of the slots is taken up by So Fine II...that's almost as terrible of an idea as another Greatest Hits album. 

• Like 1