Do you believe UYI 1&2 are the greatest rock albums of the 90's?

After reading all the bile on this forum about Axl/GNR I decided, out of boredom, to get on Amazon and read the 5 star reviews for the UYI albums. Those reviews are interesting, and filled with much more insight than anything I have read here before. So, who here believes the UYI albums the best rock albums of the 90's? If you don't think those are, then don't post. I only wanna want those who do think.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

So, who here believes the UYI albums the best rock albums of the 90's? If you don't think those are, then don't post. I only wanna want those who do think.

:hahafyou:

No they are not, not even close. The 90's were a golden era in Rock, perhaps the last. There was so much quality Music released that decade that it is impossible for me to choose one album. 

Radiohead, RHCP, Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, RATM, Metalica & Beck all released amazing albums. I was never a soundgarden or Nirvana fan. UYI 1&2 are up there but they were bloated & dated quickly. There was one album equal to AFD in them but individually they fall well short. In saying that I like them the way they are & have grown to enjoy some of the songs over time, I'm glad they released that much music at once.

While I don't think they are the best rock albums, GnR has always had the heaviest rotation by a long shot in my music, I never grow tired of their small catalogue. 

For me, if we make one album with the best songs of each UYI and throw out their weakest songs, it would be greater than Appetite.

1. Dust N' Bones
  2. Don't Cry
  3. Double Talkin Jive
  4. November Rain
  5. Don't Damn Me
  6. Dead Horse
  7. Coma
  8. Civil War
  9. 14 Years
  10. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
  11. Locomotive
  12. Estranged
  13. You Could Be Mine

(in any order)

runners-up: Pretty Tied Up, So Fine, Yesterdays, ...

Beats AFD hands down for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Do you believe UYI 1&2 are the greatest rock albums of the 90's?

No. Not by a long shot. I mean, there are a few big drawbacks to them. 

1. They're quite incoherent in style. The styles of the songs are vastly different and the albums don't really "flow" naturally. 

2. They're very long to sit though. Which also makes the previous point more apparent. 

3. The individual song quality varies a lot. From killer to filler. Yes, there are great epics, but also some real fillers and a few turds in there. 

The UYI's, for me, are a collection of songs. Most very good. Some not so good. But they're not really a whole. Compared to shorter albums that just work as an entity... UYI's just fall short. I guess you could say the albums lack focus. 

Edited by username

I think I can say that the Illusions are the albums I like the most and listen the most and relate the most. About being the best of the 90's, well Ten is a goddman of an album, along with Nevermind or (What's the Story) Morning Glory?. It's subjective, because, though they're my favourites, they're not definitive of the 90's or music history, so in that point of view I would go with Ten or Nevermind.

Yes I do.

31 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Ten

Dirt

Nevermind

In Utero

Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Californication

The Black Album

Achtung Baby

Siamese Dream

Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness

Tragic Kingdom

are ALL better than UYI in my opinion

:facepalm:

I would have to say that they are not the greatest albums of the 90s, in my opinion. I do love them and some of my favourite GN'R songs are from the albums, but they did not have the impact that AFD did in the 80s, or have the same level of consistency as that album (which would admittedly be hard to achieve with the amount of material present).

Also, why don't you want to hear from people that disagree with your opinion? Seems like an odd way to start a conversation.....

10 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Objectively, probably not. I still love them anyway. :)

Pretty much this. The UYI albums are by far my favorites from the 90s. But I'm a (old) GN'R hardcore fan. So I don't rule out the possibility that there were better albums.

• Like 2

they are definitely up there somewhere. KOHD was the sound of 1991, as i remember it. I didnt know the band yet, but i remember the video with that long haired dude wearing a neon jesus t shirt. i thought that was epic. dangerous.

other contenders for most fashionable album: nevermind, in utero, black album, made in heaven, rage against the machine etc. all great albums in their own right but also they helped define the times.

1 hour ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

For me, if we make one album with the best songs of each UYI and throw out their weakest songs, it would be greater than Appetite.

1. Dust N' Bones
  2. Don't Cry
  3. Double Talkin Jive
  4. November Rain
  5. Don't Damn Me
  6. Dead Horse
  7. Coma
  8. Civil War
  9. 14 Years
  11. Locomotive
  12. Estranged
  13. You Could Be Mine

(in any order)

runners-up: Pretty Tied Up, So Fine, Yesterdays, ...

Beats AFD hands down for me.

1. Pretty tied up
  2. Don't Cry
  3. Yesterdays
  4. November Rain
  5. Breakdown
  6. Perfect crime
  7. Coma
  8. Civil War
  9. 14 Years
  11. Get in the ring (edited as to not ruin a great song version) 
  12. Estranged
  13. You Could Be Mine
  14. The garden

Not in that order, but that would be my Album. Still too long & in-cohesive to come close to Appetite. But that's an epic album :headbang:

I don't follow the logic that it would have been better to take the best tunes & condense it into one album. Yes, maybe it would have made it more classic to the critics, but to me the so called filler tracks are what makes the albums so perfect. It's GnR insanity & creativity at it's finest.

And fuck the Nirvana horseshit. Maybe if they released Nevermind and In Utero on the same day there could be a discussion... 

• Like 3