Speculation: Was Axl in mind before Brian left?

IncitingChaos

I've been reading into ACDC too much lately from the hardcore fans perspective and they still are very upset by the way Brian was treated. It's like they want it to be true that Angus fired Brian for not performing to his standards...

anyways it got me thinking about Axl's involvement and the timeline of everything. 

Brian's last show was late February? 

Axl's first show was early May? Basically in two months or 60-70 days they found Axl or he came to them, they rehearsed him, he learned 20-30 songs, they change to standard tuning, and all this works in nicely with the dates they have scheduled in Europe along with the dates gnr have in April. 

This all happened really really fast, but maybe it didn't. Could it be possible that Axl knew at some point he would be brought in for ACDC. Maybe Angus really was pushing Brian out or maybe they all realized the inevitable situation of Brian's ear. 

Now I agree that the way it happened wasn't ideal, they were in the middle of the tour and if Axl was already in mind then this could have taken place sooner, but then again maybe Brian thought he could finish and when the performances got too weak for Angus he just said enoughs enough.  

So I guess the question is did Axl become the greatest replacement ever on extremely short notice, or maybe the conspiracist are right...maybe Brian felt pushed to leave by Angus, and Angus pushed bc he knew what he had on deck? 

(Sorry not trying to start a war, just like I said I've been reading too much on the topic lately and I watched one of Brian's last performances and one of Axl's from philly...and if you look at Angus it's a night and day differences, if I didn't know when the videos were taken I'd have thought Angus was 10 years younger with Axl) 

3 hours ago, alfierose said:

I think the timeline was tight but do-able for someone like Axl. He's been a massive fan for decades - he's probably sung the ACDC back catalogue in the shower for years! :lol:

I want a bootleg of that!  (audio of course)

3 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Agreed, I guess I just noticed how tight that timeline was. For a guy like Axl to get all his sh*t together that fast is a miracle 

For sure but then again this whole year caught us by surprise didn't it?  I mean who is THIS Axl and where did the other one go?

• Like 4

Another thing that's crazy to me is how they kept this quiet. When they were negotiating GNR's summer tour and dates there had to be someone that said "look Axl's got something going on between these dates" and if you are scheduling a multi million dollar tour with Axl Rose you are going to want to know what he's doing. 

Everyone did good keeping their mouth shut till that guy took the first picture of Axl in Atlanta then all hell broke loose haha

I don't know if Axl took it seriously in the beginning, not until AC/DC got back to him and agreed to get in the rehearsal room to see what happens. He probably saw the tour dates and figured it was workable because of the days off in between and it wasn't a big tour.  To step into the shoes of two great singers is a really tall order. 

Hi everyone.  It's been awhile.  Who's fired up about the South America tour?  I'm trying to figure out how to get down there for a show or two.  

I know for a fact that the tour routing initially looked different and the Texas dates were supposed to happen at the beginning of the tour.  I saw texas shows on the schedule immediately after Mexico City.  I think there was a couple weeks in between.  There were a few other changes that had to happen along the way.  ACDC was not in play in February/ early March when they had tentative holds on football stadiums around the country.  They quickly made the changes to accommodate this opportunity for Axl.  I think we'll all agree here that ACDC ended up becoming the ultimate tour promotion for Guns N' Roses.  Axl delivered and received a lot of great press where the press legitimized him as one of the all-time great singers who can still perform at a high level.  This will definitely help ticket sales as they tour across the globe and possibly next Fall when they bring the tour back to the States barring no major incident.    

I kind of find it hard to believe that Angus would plot a firing of Brian with so few shows left.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eddie Money said:

Hi everyone.  It's been awhile.  Who's fired up about the South America tour?  I'm trying to figure out how to get down there for a show or two.  

I know for a fact that the tour routing initially looked different and the Texas dates were supposed to happen at the beginning of the tour.  I saw texas shows on the schedule immediately after Mexico City.  I think there was a couple weeks in between.  There were a few other changes that had to happen along the way.  ACDC was not in play in February/ early March when they had tentative holds on football stadiums around the country.  They quickly made the changes to accommodate this opportunity for Axl.  I think we'll all agree here that ACDC ended up becoming the ultimate tour promotion for Guns N' Roses.  Axl delivered and received a lot of great press where the press legitimized him as one of the all-time great singers who can still perform at a high level.  This will definitely help ticket sales as they tour across the globe and possibly next Fall when they bring the tour back to the States barring no major incident.    

I kind of find it hard to believe that Angus would plot a firing of Brian with so few shows left.  

Are you saying you don't have the...money to just up and do it? :lol::mellow: :smiley-confused2:

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Mark1989 said:

I don't think they specifically had Axl in mind. But I do think there was movement to get Brain out for a while/ Reason to get rid

How come you think this? I always thought AC/DC were a close band, not so sure now after Angus admitted in his interview that he hadn't spoken to Brian since he left. That's pretty bad. 

The big question is if there was something else than Brians hearing loss that caused his departure? Maybe there was some problems between Angus and Brian?

I think not. Brian was talking about retirement since 2008. He was the lead singer for 35 years and I find it hard to belive that Angus wanted him fired when there was so few shows left. It would been a huge risk to fire Brian at this point.

His age made it harder and harder to perform and when he was told by doctors that he could go 100% permanent deaf if he didn`t stop the live performances immediately he just realized that he couldn`t do it anymore.

It is true that some fans have a hard time accepting the loss of Brian as this was the very end of AC∕DC. No Brian, no more AC∕DC as many hardcore fans see it. 

On 11/22/2016 at 10:28 AM, MillionsOfSpiders said:

How come you think this? I always thought AC/DC were a close band, not so sure now after Angus admitted in his interview that he hadn't spoken to Brian since he left. That's pretty bad. 

They have never been a close band. It's the "Young brothers" and "everyone else" as far as that goes. They're friendly, but when they're not touring, they don't hang out.

As for the OP, I don't think Axl was in anybody's mind until he asked his people to get in touch with Angus to offer his services.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, highvoltage said:

They have never been a close band. It's the "Young brothers" and "everyone else" as far as that goes. They're friendly, but when they're not touring, they don't hang out.

As for the OP, I don't think Axl was in anybody's mind until he asked his people to get in touch with Angus to offer his services.

I belive Angus and Brian had good chemistry on the stage and in the studio but maybe not so on a personal level.

It`s no surprise that Angus has not spoken to Brian since he left. They didn`t talk much during the long gaps between recording and touring. And now they will probably never see each other again.

• Like 2

Brian wanted out because he knew he couldn't perform well anymore. He's had a myriad of recurring health problems for years now and I think he was just done. This hearing thing is no way the main cause. It's just a way to save face for Brian and to not look like he's quitting on the fans. Angus and the rest of the guys went along with it in respect to Brian. No way in hell did Angus fire him, quite the opposite. It's just sad that Angus is getting the blame when it's obvious that he's trying to cover up for Brian. No shame in quitting though. The man has given 36 years of his life to AC/DC and his legacy is intact. Good luck to him, he's a stand up guy and he has one of the greatest vocal performances ever recorded in the Back in Black album to his name. He was a monster back in the day.

But if Angus wants to continue with Axl, then for the love of fuck please do an album!