Which band/artist has the worst fanbase?

Towelie

I think of all the fanbases I've encountered, both online and at live shows, the absolute worst have to be Tori Amos fans. I've been a lifelong fan of the ginger one, but I've never come across such a large number of special snowflakes in one group before. Bunch of menstral-soaked, red hair-dyed,  don't-invade-my-safe-space, man hating feminists and prissy gay men.

Beatles fans are pretty dickish. Mozza fans too.

The coolest fans are Prince ones, they have style and generally have impeccable taste in music.

Edited by Towelie

4 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I think of all the fanbases I've encountered, both online and at live shows, the absolute worst have to be Tori Amos fans. I've been a lifelong fan of the ginger one, but I've never come across such a large number of special snowflakes in one group before. Bunch of menstral-soaked, red hair-dyed,  don't-invade-my-safe-space, man hating feminists and prissy gay men.

Beatles fans are pretty dickish. Mozza fans too.

The coolest fans are Prince ones, they have style and generally have impeccable taste in music.

I try not to get involved with fanbases, nor do i consider myself part of one.  I'm just a boy who likes a lot of music a lot, fan-dom is not really a lot to do with music, its to do with some sort of unusual emotional attachment to the image (and thats all it is by the way) of the person(s) making the music.  Dont get me wrong i admire a lot of musicians greatly but at the core of that is their ability to make music, their personalities, moral inconsistencies, eating habits and upbringing are not really my concern.

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I try not to get involved with fanbases, nor do i consider myself part of one.  I'm just a boy who likes a lot of music a lot, fan-dom is not really a lot to do with music, its to do with some sort of unusual emotional attachment to the image (and thats all it is by the way) of the person(s) making the music.  Dont get me wrong i admire a lot of musicians greatly but at the core of that is their ability to make music, their personalities, moral inconsistencies, eating habits and upbringing are not really my concern.

I call bullshit on you Leonord. If you join a fan forum, that makes you a dirty fanboy deep down no matter how cool and aloof you pretend to be. 

Edited by Towelie

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm a Guns n Roses fanboy then? :lol:. Only music forum I've ever been on!

Well, I'm guessing you didn't join this forum to find recipes for home-baked walnut scones?

You may spend 95% of your forum time discussing things like the virtues of Dot Cottons fanny,  but that's by the by.

8 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Well, I'm guessing you didn't join this forum to find recipes for home-baked walnut scones?

You may spend 95% of your forum time discussing things like the virtues of Dot Cottons fanny,  but that's by the by.

Yknow what, i have no idea why i came here! :lol:  been around since 03/04 and yknow, i couldnt tell you what drew me in, i think it was an argument in the My World section i had to get in on.

I mean i like Guns n Roses a bit, must've had a little re-surge in interest around that time I suppose, what with the MTV thing and the promise of new matierial and that.  Saw em live in 06 too so yeah, i suppose i am something of a fan.

Edited by Len Cnut

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yknow what, i have no idea why i came here! :lol:  been around since 03/04 and yknow, i couldnt tell you what drew me in, i think it was an argument in the My World section i had to get in on.

I mean i like Guns n Roses a bit, must've had a little re-surge in interest around that time I suppose, what with the MTV thing and the promise of new matierial and that.  Saw em live in 06 too so yeah, i suppose i am something of a fan.

Damn you Len, you're much cooler than I. I am a self-confessed, shameless fanboy of loads of artists. 

Maybe it says something about my psyche that I can't seem to really connect with an artist's music without feeling the need to join the fan forum and give them a time-honored tribute in my MyGNR signature to help spread the gospel.

Doesn't help that my missus was practically a celebrity stalker before she met me. She once called Ulrika Johnson an inspiration to her face. Even Ulrika Johnson laughed.

13 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Damn you Len, you're much cooler than I. I am a self-confessed, shameless fanboy of loads of artists. 

Maybe it says something about my psyche that I can't seem to really connect with an artist's music without feeling the need to join the fan forum and give them a time-honored tribute in my MyGNR signature to help spread the gospel.

Doesn't help that my missus was practically a celebrity stalker before she met me. She once called Ulrika Johnson an inspiration to her face. Even Ulrika Johnson laughed.

Awwwwwww, bless her cotton socks! :lol:. I got nothin against it or anything, i was a bit that way as a kid but it just gets boring when you're older but what the music does for you, the feeling it projects, thats immortal.  

And also like, it occurs to me, when i got into music early on i didnt know fuck all about the personalities involved, i mean The Pistols, The Beatles, GnR, i didnt really know shit about em, i just had these copied tapes from mates that i really liked, i had an inkling from the lyrics and this book i read called 'in their own words' that GnR were bad boys but other than that, Nirvana for example i knew nothing about, The Sex Pistols i knew nothing about.  Point being its always been music thats grabbed my interest.  I remember the televised Beatles Anthology being a MASSIVE thing because i got to hear em talk and say stuff, before that it was just tapes i got off my sister that sounded great.  I was too dim at that age to get a lot from it anyway to be honest.

Also when you get older everything starts to seem less mythical?  Like if i'd've met Marc Bolan or Axl Rose when i was between 11 and 13 i would've been awestruck...but now they just look like some chancer from Brixton and a fat ginger pudding.  Not that i become cynical its just the magical aspect disappears and you start to appreciate people for the human beings that they actually are instead of the image you need them to be as a kid.

Edited by Len Cnut

9 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Awwwwwww, bless her cotton socks! :lol:. I got nothin against it or anything, i was a bit that way as a kid but it just gets boring when you're older but what the music does for you, the feeling it projects, thats immortal.  

And also like, it occurs to me, when i got into music early on i didnt know fuck all about the personalities involved, i mean The Pistols, The Beatles, GnR, i didnt really know shit about em, i just had these copied tapes from mates that i really liked, i had an inkling from the lyrics and this book i read called 'in their own words' that GnR were bad boys but other than that, Nirvana for example i knew nothing about, The Sex Pistols i knew nothing about.  Point being its always been music thats grabbed my interest.  I remember the televised Beatles Anthology being a MASSIVE thing because i got to hear em talk and say stuff, before that it was just tapes i got off my sister that sounded great.  I was too dim at that age to get a lot from it anyway to be honest.

Also when you get older everything starts to seem less mythical?  Like if i'd've met Marc Bolan or Axl Rose when i was between 11 and 13 i would've been awestruck...but now they just look like some chancer from Brixton and a fat ginger pudding.  Not that i become cynical its just the magical aspect disappears and you start to appreciate people for the human beings that they actually are instead of the image you need them to be as a kid.

You'd have thought the allure of fandom would've gotten pretty old by the time my childhood hero got accused of diddling for the millionth time. But damn it, I do like that moonwalk.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Towelie said:

You'd have thought the allure of fandom would've gotten pretty old by the time my childhood hero got accused of diddling for the millionth time. But damn it, I do like that moonwalk.

We've already agreed Towelie, its OK if you're one of the big boys!

(that sounded odd :lol: )

What is wrong with Beatles' fans?

Zeppelin's for constantly saying things like, ''Zeppelin are the greatest band ever ever ever ever and if you do not agree you are a moron and deserve the death penalty''.

Axl's are complete fruitloops. They'd defend their guy to hell itself. Axl could gun down fifty children and you will hear things like, ''this shooting is proof he still has anger and passion blah blah blah''.

Radiohead's are artsy fartsy buggers and tend to be vegans or vegetarians.

I think the creme de la creme however are the smelly unwashed hordes of Metallica: ''yeh dude, 'Tallica have not made a decent album since'' the Mesozoic era - ''everything since 1991 is shite because it is not heavy''. The band proceed to put out a heavy record: ''yeh dude, it is shit. We want Master and Lightning dude''. With fans like that, who needs enemies?

Neil Young fans incidentally are called ''Rusties'' and tend to be of the fifty plus aging hippy description haha. Always been obsessive about bootlegs (a bit like ''Deadheads''). Yes, I suppose I am a Rusty haha.

I think my favourite fanbase is Britain's Elvis fans. They all have tattoos. They all drink. They all smoke. They tend to be overweight and spend time in social clubs playing darts.

The Rolling Stones' fans are pretty fucking bad. Bitch, bitch, bitch about everything. Perfect example - last night they played a private event for the American Trucking Association in Vegas. Full-on casual fan base at that show obviously. They did a 14 song set, and 12 of the songs are ones you'd expect to hear at any Stones show, all the warhorses. Go over to IORR and it's all bitching and moaning about the setlist; "Wah, my favorite band played a show for people that don't give a fuck about them and they only played their biggest hits, plus one song they hadn't played live in 26 years! This is an outrage, this band is terrible". Give me a fucking break. Just be happy your band is still going strong after 54 years.

They always complain about venue size too. They play a stadium, people bitch that it means they won't play enough obscure songs that night. They play a club, people bitch that not enough people are getting to see them. They are literally never happy, no matter what. There's the blues covers album coming out in December, they're pissy that they have to wait until next year to get the album of new material.

• Like 2

The worst fan base... Hmmm...

I don't get too deep into fan bases, I assume when you get that deep into band obsession, you could find all sorts of whackos everywhere.

Since GNR was the first and last fan base I was active in (back in 05-08) during the Chi Dem years, I found Nu-GNR hardcore fans to be pretty intolerable.

I haven't taken a dip in D&N recently, but I'm assuming and hoping the reunion and AC/DC shows killed that "Axl is a high artists and will take back the mainstream with his weird Chi Dem music!" mentality.

13 minutes ago, Dan H. said:

I don't get too deep into fan bases, I assume when you get that deep into band obsession, you could find all sorts of whackos everywhere.

Since GNR was the first and last fan base I was active in (back in 05-08) during the Chi Dem years, I found Nu-GNR hardcore fans to be pretty intolerable.

I haven't taken a dip in D&N recently, but I'm assuming and hoping the reunion and AC/DC shows killed that "Axl is a high artists and will take back the mainstream with his weird Chi Dem music!" mentality.

They have now decided to like Slash and Duff, and hate Izzy!

• Like 1

From my experience reading online, I've not seen 'crazy' close to the level of fans of K-Pop (Korean pop music). 

A Beyoncé fan stabbed somebody because the person didn't know Beyoncé/Jay-Z are married.

A Lady Gaga fan killed a cat so they could wear it's blood to her concert.

2 hours ago, Dan H. said:

I'm glad i wasn't on here for the Nu-Guns era and in my mind that didn't exist anyway, i'm quite amazed there are people who love that period that intensely. I imagine the level of Axl worship was out of control! Anyone who obsesses of one particular member of this band has got it wrong anyway seeing all the members made it tick, every band member seems to have a few obsessive fruit loops though who think they can do absolutely no wrong.

11 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm a Guns n Roses fanboy then? :lol:. Only music forum I've ever been on!

Len would i be right in saying GNR were abit like your first sexual encounter?, in that you may have had more (well i hope) and possibly more memorable encounters but...well we always remember and have a soft spot for our first don't we?.

25 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

I'm yet to meet a mad keen Pink Floyd fan who I've liked.

I just thought this an opportune moment to post this,

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves in labyrinths of coral caves
The echo of a distant tide
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

On 10/4/2016 at 10:17 AM, DieselDaisy said:

What is wrong with Beatles' fans?

I think my favourite fanbase is Britain's Elvis fans. They all have tattoos. They all drink. They all smoke. They tend to be overweight and spend time in social clubs playing darts.

slightly off topic but l was just thinking if ANY band/artist had the bigggest impact on the fans as the Beatles? then i saw this thread and remembered Elvis. so how many here think the Beatles had the most rabid fans and which preferred Elvis?? just wondering? :question: