Kanye fans: Bon Iver's "22, A Million" (Glitch, experimental, R&B, folk)

Dan H.

I bet a bunch of you are familiar with Bon Iver. They hit the indie scene big as a folk band a few years back, I actually caught them at Bonnaroo in 2012 after they released their self titled album, and their debut "For Emma, Forever Ago" is essential for fans of folk music.

So with this album Justin Vernon decided to throw all of that acoustic guitar shit down the toilet, and has created this weird experimental ode to a nihilistic future that drips with anxiety and sadness. Using heavy voice distortion, synth, and samples, Vernon actually designed, constructed, and invented much of his electronic hardware and software specifically for this album.

Kanye West fans know Vernon from several features across Kanye's past albums, and 'Ye has called Vernon his favorite recording artist of all time.

Listening to 22, A Million, it is clear Vernon feels the same way, as it borrows heavily from the electronic stylings of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, an album Vernon is also heavily featured on.

This isn't catchy, or easy listening, but its receiving widespread acclaim, and is already getting album of the year nods. Definitely an album for sitting back in a chair, closing your eyes, and just listening to.

Edited by Dan H.

4 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

I'm interested in listening if this album is different from his previous projects, which just sounded like autotune echo moaning to me. I'll get around to it this weekend.

There's a lot of that still, at least one track that's fully distorted autorune but musically its much different, and the vocal distortion isn't that echoey folk effect he used on his last album. I dunno, seems more tasteful given the experimental direction