Check this remastered version of Breakdown! (1991-12-13)

i used to have this recording on the original very high priced (and so very beautiful) vanishing point double cd

i remember i sold this double CD years after i spent a fortune on it because it was basically impossible to enjoy listening to it

due to the somewhat poor quality of the recording

and also because i couldnt stand the tracy and roberta era sound

to this day, i much rather listen to GNR

now, who knows how many years (decades?) later, after listening to all the crap versions of the axl solo-era band... and after listening to the speedy shitty version of the threeunion band on this "not enough money for izzy" tour...

...this recording sounds quite good indeed!

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

No Izzy or Adler. Everyone knows this wasn't the real GN'R :(.

The drumming is not really what this song really shines with imo, so it doesnt matter for me that Adler isnt there. It's the lyrics, vibe and slashs incredible solos. Izzy not being on rhythm sucks, but you get Slash on rhythm so I'm like so what hell yeah I'll have that please. Fucking great track they need to play it live

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The drumming is not really what this song really shines with imo, so it doesnt matter for me that Adler isnt there. It's the lyrics, vibe and slashs incredible solos. Izzy not being on rhythm sucks, but you get Slash on rhythm so I'm like so what hell yeah I'll have that please. Fucking great track they need to play it live

if you guys read Slash's book he talks about Matt Sorum "losing it" on breakdown, it was apparently a difficult song to come up with the drum part for. Is there any background history on the song as to when it was written, etc?

I fkn love this song.  Breakdown haves a lot of every one of the things that make illusions albums so unique and special.  I enjoy like crazy play it on the piano, one of the masterpieces of gnr whitout a doubt.   Axl genius talent is all over the song.

Plus i think everybody did a PERFECT job on that song. Slash did wonderfull, duff, and specially matt.. Perhaps he had a dificult time recording the song, but the result...

The druming is just WONDERFULL AND PERFECT.

One thing..  did anybody noticed that outro speech axl does is like a pretty acurate description of oj simpsons famous police persuit??

And im aware that the illusions came out like 2 years or so before that oj's incident

1 hour ago, GivenToFly said:

Twice, a few days apart, at Madison Square Garden and in Worcester, MA.

'Breakdown' was first played at Worcester Centre, MA on December 6th 1991, the second show of the second North American UYI leg, and the second show with Gilby and extended line-up.  The second and last 'Breakdown' performance was the third and last Madison Square Garden date on December 13th, a week later.

11 hours ago, RONIN said:

Wait...Izzy isn't on breakdown?:blink: Thought Slash just layered his guitar over Izzy on rhythm??

There's several songs on the UYI albums that don't feature Izzy at all.

Izzy doesn't play on 'The Garden', 'Shotgun Blues' (only backing vocals) and 'Locomotive'.  He's also not listed for 'Civil War'.

He does play on 'Breakdown' however, be it acoustic guitar.