Blade Runner 2049

Powerage5

1 minute ago, Black Sabbath said:

I'll never understand the logic people have behind saying sequels ruin the originals.

Well it does not have to I suppose but only if you do not watch these cgi reboot/remake/re-shafting wankfests and pretend they didn't happen, which, I happen to say, I largely do now. 

5 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

I'll never understand the logic people have behind saying sequels ruin the originals.

Well its like this son, take Rocky for example.  Now i dont necessarily subscribe to this idea being as how i love the Rocky films but asthetically speaking, if one were to think from a solely artistic perspective the film Rocky, the first one, is a flawless modern fairytale.  Its concise, its uplifting, its oddly poetic...and its world exists within that which is presented you in those 90 mins, its timeless and enduring.

Each sequel devalues that because it adds and subtracts from the character by way of being lesser works, that association will remain with the character in perpetuity.  For example, the character to Adrian is never more enduring and never more interesting than in the first movie, suddenly she becomes this classy sexy mother figure and remains so for the rest of the films, or the character and characterisation of Paulie, whoose quite a harsh and coarse character initially, there's something tragic about him, when in the sequels he is reduced to comic relief, in fact there is something tragic about all the characters is that film, Paulie represents a possible future for Rocky, this embittered old man lamenting his life and blaming the world for his problems. Quite apart from the fact that the first film and what makes it so powerful is this idea that one time, just one time a man can go out and do the impossible...the power of that is drained out by constant repetition of that over 5 sequels.

Also, its very difficult to ignore that sequels, by definition are to do with profit, a film is successful so you exploit that success and by virtue of that exploitation there are a number of choices that are made throughout the sequels that are to do with markets and demographics and appealling to this that and the other, point being they are not artistic desicions for the furtherance of the piece, all of these things in the eyes of a great many are things that devalue the overall thing.

Now there is the idea that 'well the first one still is what it is, why should the others effect it?' Which is sort of like saying 'War and Peace is a good book...but only if you ignore the last 5 chapters'.

Now as i say i dont necessarily agree with this because i enjoy the Rocky sequels but I am also aware that, artistically speaking, they are inferior and dont do the overall tale any favours, i just enjoy seeing the characters again, like old friends.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2016 at 0:12 PM, Powerage5 said:

It had it's problems, but nothing I couldn't overlook. 

Yeah it wasn't perfect, for example the crap that the heroine went through (and somehow survived) at the last bit of the movie was pushing it.

Head and shoulders above any of the Alien movies since Aliens as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2016 at 9:45 PM, Oldest Goat said:

Charlize Theron ran from the giant rolling alien disc...in a straight fucking line! Just run to the side you crazy bitch?! I'm sorry but Prometheus was awful and rehashed. Michael Fassbender did a good job though.

That last bit of the movie is fraught with bollocks of that kind...still way better than anything since Aliens.

• 2 months later...

Spoiler

Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos. K’s discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years.

I've watched this teaser so many fucking times. I was one hundred percent against a Blade Runner sequel originally, but I just can't help be excited between the team working on it, and this teaser. The look of it is completely on point, but it's also nice to see it's exploring the world further and not just giving us more dingy shots of LA. 

This is may be the 2017 film I'm most excited about now. 

• 4 months later...

It seems to be a lot more conventional than the original. In my opinion, that's a good thing, but it's sure to cause a controversy among the people who love the existential shit.

Then again, this is a trailer and it's designed to get you to part with your money and if they made it seem boring and stilted, those advertising agencies would dry up.

4 hours ago, tsinindy said:

I searched....no topic yet for this?

For real?  This may be one of the most anticipated sequels of all time...and the trailer is out:

OMG!!! :wow: *dances around like a little girl* :dance:

In all seriousness.......... I've just danced a little jig! :lol:

CAN'T. FUCKING. WAIT!!! :D

• Like 1