Blade Runner 2049

Powerage5

• 3 weeks later...

I hope the make The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch or Valis. But maybe they are just better as books. 

But i could watch this I think just for the visuals. I liked that Robocop remake. I just like the way Robocop looks. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/6/2016 at 9:07 PM, Black Sabbath said:

I'll never understand the logic people have behind saying sequels ruin the originals.

Agreed. Same stupid logic people use when saying a  cover song ruins the original.

8 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Fantastic reviews so far.

Bought my IMAX ticket for Thursday.

They're not showing it in my IMAX theater for some reason. So I'm seeing it in regular 3D on Thursday, and I'll go see it in IMAX in Buffalo soon. 

I've just seen it in 3D Imax.

Probably the best cinema experience I have ever had.

Bleak movie but with so much beauty in its decay. Fantastic cinematography, solid script and killer music.

Beats the first one in all departments ( save for the technical prowess of directing it during the 80s ).

Loved it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Glow Inc. said:

I've just seen it in 3D Imax.

Probably the best cinema experience I have ever had.

Bleak movie but with so much beauty in its decay. Fantastic cinematography, solid script and killer music.

Beats the first one in all departments ( save for the technical prowess of directing it during the 80s ).

Loved it.

I'm so fucking excited to see it. I thought IMAX was only 2D for it though? All the IMAX theaters within 100 miles of me only have it in 2D...

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

I'm so fucking excited to see it. I thought IMAX was only 2D for it though? All the IMAX theaters within 100 miles of me only have it in 2D...

Just checked and mine is 2D as well. Mildly disappointed, because 3D IMAX is always fantastic and that's what I was anticipating for this. Oh well. Still excited. Watching the original tonight in preparation.

• GNFNR 1

25 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Just checked and mine is 2D as well. Mildly disappointed, because 3D IMAX is always fantastic and that's what I was anticipating for this. Oh well. Still excited. Watching the original tonight in preparation.

Watched the Director's Cut on a friend's 110" projection screen on Saturday. My body is ready for tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

That is what I thought too especially after seeing specific articles about the fact that Imax cinemas would stop showing 3D movies starting with Blade Runner 204o but Paris la Villette is showing it in 3d Imax and oh boy is it worth it.

In North America, IMAX is only showing it in 2D due to American consumer demand. Outside of America, IMAX shows it in 3D.

Went to a regular 2D showing here in Sydney. Good film, probably not my favourite Villeneuve, but one of the better films of the year. Disappointed with the score, would have liked to hear what Johansson would have come up with. Wish Bowie had gotten to play Leto’s character like Villeneuve had planned :(

There's a few scenes here and there like

the nascent Replicant rebellion

that didn't feel like they fit the flow of the story. I also felt that

Robin Wright wasn't given much to do but spout exposition for dummies in the audience (but her death scene was badass).

Finally, didn't

the twist just make you think of The Dark Knight Rises with the "child of ambiguous gender in flashback" trick

?

Still liked the film, but I wonder how it'll hold up for me on repeat viewings. The original Blade Runner is a film I didn't initially "get" but I grew to love it over time. One thing I really liked about 2049 was

the extrapolations of recent innovations, such as the "virtual girlfriend" and the holograms of dead artists.

I thought it was weird that one of the focal points of the film was

the "romance" from the original, as that was always very awkward and somewhat creepy, purposefully so. Harrison Ford really tries to sell the emotion of Deckard's love for Rachel but it's hard tor reconcile that with what we saw in the first Blade Runner. I did like that they still kept it *somewhat* open-ended about Deckard being a replicant. Scott is adamant he is, Villeneuve is somewhat ambiguous, and in this one you get the line from Leto's character about perhaps Deckard was "designed" to fall in love with Rachel, or maybe he wasn't. I prefer to think of Deckard as human (despite the unicorn dream), but the fact that his character lives alone in an irradiated wasteland in 2049 really makes that hard to maintain as a belief.

Edited by Amir

The one track I might buy off iTunes:

On a non-spoilery note, I liked the use of European actors who aren't too familiar to popular audiences; you don't get distracted by "actors" and can instead just accept the characters for who they are.

I really like the OST.

Sure there are no memorable songs like Rachel's song or Tales from the Future from the first Vangelis score but the dark ambient mood and the sound design ( loved that aggressive slider taking off sound they added ) really fits with the bleak scenery.

Absolutely loved the interaction between the music and on-screen shots of K's slider flying over Los Angeles in the rain for the first time, that long slow shot when you see the streets from way above and can only make out the neons. Really builds up the anticipation and you know you are in for a visual treat.

In terms of score and sound, one thing I appreciated was the lack of it in some scenes. Scenes where there's no score, and you just have two characters talking to each other. All the drama comes from the actors/characters and direction, which is something rare in a big-budget film. I love my hyperemotional scores (like Interstellar), but it wouldn't have suited this film.

Unfortunately that effect is ruined a little when you have people munching popcorn very loudly in your ear :P

All in all, I really enjoyed it. It's certainly a worthy sequel to Blade Runner, even if it never necessarily surpasses the original. Villeneuve absolutely nailed the look and feel of the Blade Runner universe, while sort of adding his own touch to it - I really loved the irradiated wasteland look post-Blackout. Roger Deakins knocked it out of the park in the cinematography department - I love how monochromatic every scene is, it really pulls your attention when you get a touch of the neon that characterizes the Blade Runner look. This film is able to stand on it's own extremely well - it's a film that is in the Blade Runner world but doesn't really rely on nostalgia at all; there was never really an "I 'member" moment in the entire film. Speaking of standing on it's own, I'll go in the camp of really enjoying the score. I thought it complimented the visuals for this one quite well, and I think going for a more Vangelis-esque sound would've gone back into nostalgia territory.

Now, all that said - I can nitpick some things:

- For starters, I thought the script was a bit clunky at times. As a plot (Not that I thought the plot was horrible or anything), I don't really understand why any of this was happening. So Wallace's big plan was to find a replicant who was born instead of created, so that he could...what, save production costs? And why was it even a police matter anyways? Speaking of Wallace, there really wasn't any resolution on his character - the last we saw of him was in Wallace headquarters when he offered Deckard a Rachel replicant. 

- I think it ran a bit long - I think if about 15 minutes got chopped, it would've been a bit more concise. 

- The speaking of the problems I had with the script and trimming a bit of fat, the whole replicant revolution subplot was entirely unnecessary, other than the woman (What was her name?) revealing that K wasn't actually the child.

- The ending was ridiculously rushed and underwhelming.

I give it a solid 7.5 or 8 out of 10. Definitely need to see it again.