Sound like GNR ...by busting the bank!

3 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

why would anyone want to sound like GN'R to the point where they have to break the bank? someone wanting to be in a GN'R cover band? :shrugs:

They do it with loads of artists/bands one version on a budget the other with no budget limit. My bloke watches these guys quite a lot and buys from them too

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

why would anyone want to sound like GN'R to the point where they have to break the bank? someone wanting to be in a GN'R cover band? :shrugs:

Ironically Izzy and Slash's studio gear for AFD probably didn't even cost that much, i'm pretty sure they blew the advance from the record label on drugs haha. You'd have to be mad or a really rich superfan to spend that much and as shown by the "without busting the bank" version you can get pretty close for much less. Fun series none the less and for gear heads you get to check out amps/pedals etc. My favourite thing was the MXR fuzz pedal at 19:55, that thing is sick.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Ironically Izzy and Slash's studio gear for AFD probably didn't even cost that much, i'm pretty sure they blew the advance from the record label on drugs haha.

well since they were getting food from strippers yeah i'd say the money probably did go to drugs :lol:

16 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

The AFD 100 doesn't sound great IMO. I know it was built for him etc, but it doesn't nail his album tones at all. 

Yeah i don't know, sounded pretty good when he was just playing a few chords there on his own but not spectacular by any means. It's always gonna a fall short in comparison i suppose, the thing about the AFD tone to me was how it combined modern gainy crunch with a warm vintage sound perfectly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

was it worth that price?

Not really sound wise:lol: Sound was meaty and amazing but not that much better than my 5 times cheaper one. But the feel of it was the thing that would sell it to me if I had money. Cause it's made so beautifully and you won't notice those small details until you hold it

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Yeah i don't know, sounded pretty good when he was just playing a few chords there on his own but not spectacular by any means. It's always gonna a fall short in comparison i suppose, the thing about the AFD tone to me was how it combined modern gainy crunch with a warm vintage sound perfectly.

It was a great tone, in combination with Izzy's guitar, it was the ultimate dual guitar sound. I prefer Slash's UYI guitar tone (I know that is not a popular opinion), but the mix on the guitar tracks is fucked on so many UYI tracks, it never comes close you the twin power on AFD. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

It was a great tone, in combination with Izzy's guitar, it was the ultimate dual guitar sound. I prefer Slash's UYI guitar tone (I know that is not a popular opinion), but the mix on the guitar tracks is fucked on so many UYI tracks, it never comes close you the twin power on AFD. 

Oh yeah Slash's UYI tone is face melting. Izzy occasionally has some interesting things going on there too on Double Talkin Jive in particular, you might notice it's kinda similar to the tone of his guitar sound on One in a Million. Weird sounding kinda like something Jack White would come up with.

I always enjoy watching these videos. Realistically though, you can get high-end gear that emulates Slash's sound without entirely busting the bank either.

You figure - Slash used a modded JCM 800 for Appetite that he borrowed. It was labelled "#34" from SIR Studios and that's what that particular setting on the AFD 100 is supposed to be a recreation of since he gave the original back and it was never heard from again.

The other setting on the AFD 100 is a reissue of the "JCM Slash" signature amp, which in itself was a resissue of the Jubilee series which Slash continues to use. The originally Jubilee was essentially a hot-rodded 800 with more gain, not unlike the subsequent 900 series. You can get a used JCM 900 combo for like $700 or less. There's the amp covered. Another alternative is to get a used 800 and put an overdrive pedal in front of it. A Jubilee is a bit more costly but is another realistic option. Marshall is offering it as a reissue again too.

Next, find a Gibson Les Paul Classic used for around $1200 and throw in the Slash pick-ups. Appetite was (likely) mostly recorded with his Les Paul copy (it wasn't even a real Gibson but it has the Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II's that he fell in love with) and his BC Rich guitars.

You now haven't totally broken the bank but arguably have better gear that what Slash had for the recording of Appetite and can get pretty damn close to his overall sound. The only thing you're missing is his fingers. ;) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

and his soul...which is a big part of his greatness IMO. he may not be the most technically perfect guitarist but his soul is perfect to me :)

And that goes for any guitar player! Some players out there will spend the big bucks on say Angus Young's exact rig and wonder why they still don't sound like him. Meanwhile they've only played guitar for a year and hardly practice. I've met so many people like that over the years. It's all in the feel and fingers. Slash playing a Fender through a Vox would still sound like Slash. Sure, some of the characteristics of the sound and EQ would be different but it would be definitely be Slash.

• Like 1

Just now, James Bond said:

And that goes for any guitar player! Some players out there will spend the big bucks on say Angus Young's exact rig and wonder why they still don't sound like him. Meanwhile they've only played guitar for a year and hardly practice. I've met so many people like that over the years. It's all in the feel and fingers. Slash playing a Fender through a Vox would still sound like Slash. Sure, some of the characteristics of the sound and EQ would be different but it would be definitely be Slash.

i agree.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

The twin power also has to do with Izzy's tone. His tone is less aggressive on UYI rhythm guitars (his lead tone for the intro to Back off Bitch sounds good though). I don't know if it has to do with him maybe using a smidge less gain, the way the amp was mic'ed, using a different guitar/amp/pickups than with AFD.

I think Slash's UYI tone is great, it's specifically on the gold top LP that he uses on Estranged that I don't like. I remember reading somewhere that he changed his pickups to something other than alnico II's (IIRC i think because they were in the process of making his signature pickup) right before they went out on tour, which gave him the nasally tone

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mendez said:

The twin power also has to do with Izzy's tone. His tone is less aggressive on UYI rhythm guitars (his lead tone for the intro to Back off Bitch sounds good though). I don't know if it has to do with him maybe using a smidge less gain, the way the amp was mic'ed, using a different guitar/amp/pickups than with AFD.

I think Slash's UYI tone is great, it's specifically on the gold top LP that he uses on Estranged that I don't like. I remember reading somewhere that he changed his pickups to something other than alnico II's (IIRC i think because they were in the process of making his signature pickup) right before they went out on tour, which gave him the nasally tone

Yeah, that is it, Izzy had a crunchy tone on Appetite that complimented Slash's more treble-y tone. I think you're right about less gain for Izzy on UYI, I remember reading that they used some of his scratching tracks on the actual album as he was reluctant to record at that point. 

There are a few parts on UYI that sounds pretty good for Izzy; the guitars on Right Next Door To Hell and Don't Cry sound good, but nowhere near the impact of AFD. The first listen of Welcome To The Jungle changed my life when I was 11 and guitar wise, that was 50% Izzy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Yeah, that is it, Izzy had a crunchy tone on Appetite that complimented Slash's more treble-y tone. I think you're right about less gain for Izzy on UYI, I remember reading that they used some of his scratching tracks on the actual album as he was reluctant to record at that point. 

There are a few parts on UYI that sounds pretty good for Izzy; the guitars on Right Next Door To Hell and Don't Cry sound good, but nowhere near the impact of AFD. The first listen of Welcome To The Jungle changed my life when I was 11 and guitar wise, that was 50% Izzy!

Oh man it's the reason i play the guitar, my mum was a pretty cool chick so i had access to all the greats in my house as a kid Jimi, Zep, Santana, Clapton etc but it wasn't till my friends brother played me AFD for the first time that i HAD to get a guitar. I used to isolate Slash and Izzy's tracks all the time on my stereo's graphic equalizer, i know their guitar tracks like the back of my hand! WTTJ is just insane.

• Like 3