Sound like GNR ...by busting the bank!

16 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Oh man it's the reason i play the guitar, my mum was a pretty cool chick so i had access to all the greats in my house as a kid Jimi, Zep, Santana, Clapton etc but it wasn't till my friends brother played me AFD for the first time that i HAD to get a guitar. I used to isolate Slash and Izzy's tracks all the time on my stereo's graphic equalizer, i know their guitar tracks like the back of my hand! WTTJ is just insane.

Very similar to me, I started playing because of AFD and had exposure to the classics through my parents (Hendrix, Stones, Queen, Led Zep, Bowie etc), GN'R was the turning point though, coolest fucking thing in the world back in 1991!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Well being in my mid 30's that ship may have sailed, but i'm working on my 5 year old son!

Me too, 37 next year, but my 2 and a half year old asks for GN'R and does a  pretty good Slash impression already, so I have hope. Plus, by the time he is in his late teens/early 20s, this type of music will be fashionable again.....

Edited by SoundOfAGun
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Me too, 37 next year, but my 2 and a half year old asks for GN'R and does a  pretty good Slash impression already, so I have hope. Plus, by the time he is in his late teens/early 20s, this type of music will be fashionable again.....

we can only hope...but starting him off early is a great thing to do :)

11 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Yeah, that is it, Izzy had a crunchy tone on Appetite that complimented Slash's more treble-y tone. I think you're right about less gain for Izzy on UYI, I remember reading that they used some of his scratching tracks on the actual album as he was reluctant to record at that point. 

There are a few parts on UYI that sounds pretty good for Izzy; the guitars on Right Next Door To Hell and Don't Cry sound good, but nowhere near the impact of AFD. The first listen of Welcome To The Jungle changed my life when I was 11 and guitar wise, that was 50% Izzy!

I think Don't Cry sounds the best only because he only uses a clean tone. (While Slash completely eclipses Izzy's clean guitar by doubling his rhythm on both channels when the distortion comes in). That being said, I'd rather hear Izzy's "less attack"-ey tone than not hear him at all.

I hope that someday they do a remaster with Izzy's guitar upped about 6-8 dB in the mix (and only Izzy hard panned left and Slash hard panned right) like this. (and also without that artificial reverb they applied on Matt's drums. Sounds tacky, especially on the intro drums on 14 years. If Axl wanted a bigger drum sound, he should've just told Matt to use bigger/deeper rack toms)

Izzy's guitar shouldve sounded like this. (Also, I love Izzy's co-lead next to Slashs lead on Estranged)

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Mendez said:

I think Don't Cry sounds the best only because he only uses a clean tone. (While Slash completely eclipses Izzy's clean guitar by doubling his rhythm on both channels when the distortion comes in). That being said, I'd rather hear Izzy's "less attack"-ey tone than not hear him at all.

I hope that someday they do a remaster with Izzy's guitar upped about 6-8 dB in the mix (and only Izzy hard panned left and Slash hard panned right) like this. (and also without that artificial reverb they applied on Matt's drums. Sounds tacky, especially on the intro drums on 14 years. If Axl wanted a bigger drum sound, he should've just told Matt to use bigger/deeper rack toms)

Izzy's guitar shouldve sounded like this. (Also, I love Izzy's co-lead next to Slashs lead on Estranged)

Perfect Crime! Great Izzy guitar take. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Perfect Crime! Great Izzy guitar take. 

Just proves that Izzys rhythm skill is still there! I just boosted his guitars in the mix by 8 dB in Audacity. Even with his UYI tone, they still sound better than before when he was drowned in the mix

Edited by Mendez