Appetite for Distortion Ep. 9 - LA Weekly Journalist Art Tavana Talks Izzy Stradlin (Link to article added to OP)

9 hours ago, Archtop said:

If this is true, wouldn't he have put out a biography? Instead of relying on the people around him to pass comment, or fuel  the speculation he seems to be unhappy with. Isn't this why we have the conundrum that is Izzy's Twitter.

If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write something worth reading or do things worth writing.

Benjamin Franklin

I think we can safely say, his not going to be forgotten any time soon.

If this is true, wouldn't he have put out a biography? Instead of relying on the people around him to pass comment, or fuel  the speculation he seems to be unhappy with. Isn't this why we have the conundrum that is Izzy's Twitter.

It's like Hillary Clinton's diary. I think I see autobiography. I think he does have an opinion. But it's damaging to GNR as it is. He's a mistery. I donmt know how you explain not wanting to be in a big band and also wanting equal loot in the reunion. For the AFD reunion yes, equal. But this is GNFG reunion, which is what the fans want it seems. The casuals make it a huge pay day. . It's funny though they are doing DTJ every show. 

On 10/22/2016 at 2:00 PM, hudsonsaul said:

Sweet thanks. I'ts morning here, and was looking for some morning coffee reading. Read some of your other stuff and dug it (the garageband piece was real interesting & insightful).

Oh, that's so cool. Thank you. Yes, Pitchfork was kind enough to let me geek out on that one :)

3 hours ago, Frey said:

"Izzy fans", "Axl fans". What a load of shit. If anything I'd consider myself a Guns fan. It's pretty obvious by now that all of them (with the exception of Duff maybe) are pretty difficult and complex characters, and the way some people here paint them as saints is ridiculous (from all sides).

@ArtTavana Great article. I really enjoyed reading it. It's definitely one of the better GnR-related articles I've read in recent times. I really liked the story about the riots and the one about young Axl and Izzy drawing guns and roses artwork during art class. History in the making right there. Any other interesting stories you were told that didn't make it into the article?

There is always stuff that has to be left off. Nothing major or worth mentioning, just small details that I may save for a follow-up one day...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blake Sabbath said:

Art your article deservers its own thread. Brilliant read, plenty to get stuck into!

Thank you. Truly kind words. Perhaps it will get it's own thread when someone feels the need to talk about it. For now, I'll just let it breath. I'm also glad the L.A. Weekly gave me the space to write a story with little to no restrictions. Kudos to them.

4 hours ago, Rayno said:

Simply one of the greatest articles related to GNR I have ever read in my life. And I read a lot of them. Thank you.

This makes me happy. I hope u guys know I wrote this for the fans. So these sort of comments tickle me. THANK YOU.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, downliner said:

I'm torn on whether I should like this :lol:

I enjoyed all of the insight from Rick, Chalo and Jimmy, and the unreleased photos were cool, and the confirmation that JT is involved in the new record, and your article was well written and definitely a pro-Izzy piece (which is always great to see). But publishing the town where Izzy lives, giving instructions of where to find him, and you going to his house and acquiring his phone number is just a massive invasion of privacy in my opinion, which your own article points out is very important to Izzy :shrugs: That's on the same level as Rolling Stone releasing the audio from Izzys voicemail message...... so like I say, I'm kinda torn :blink: Hope it's true that Izzys got an interview coming up though, and fingers crossed that these latest sessions will see the light of day also :headbang:

I may not appreciate some bits in your article but it's still always cool to see a major publication running a piece about the importance of Izzy, hope plenty of folk read it!

Hi. Thank you for reading. I appreciate it. Just so we're clear: I did not publish directions to find him. I would never do that. I mentioned no landmarks or directions to his property, which is just one of the many properties he owns, all of which are public record and a Google search result away for fans to find. If a real estate broker has the right to know where he lives, then it is no secret. I am sorry if you feel I violated his privacy. As a reporter, we often investigate our subjects in ways that can become uncomfortable at times. But it's also no secret that Axl Rose lives in Malibu. This stuff is all available to the public. 

Also, without talking to Izzy himself, I cannot say with 100% certainty it was in fact the house he's currently occupying. But the fact that Izzy is in Ojai is no mystery. This is something most GNR fans and locals in the town of Ojai are well aware of. 

I did my best not to avoid writing a "pro Izzy" story. I wanted to present both sides without taking a side, but in doing so, because this was about Izzy (not Axl), it does lead to the conclusion that Izzy is the hero, and Axl, in many ways, the villain (which I don't believe he is, not a bit). I am a huge Axl fan. IMHO he is the greatest rock singer in history. I tried to make points in the story to establish that everything he did, he did for the betterment of the GNR machine, which led to some dangerous outcomes, but that's rock and roll. I also made it clear that Izzy left GNR for several reasons, not simply the fact that Axl Rose in 1991 was a very intense frontman with a lot of personal issues he was dealing with. This is also...no secret. 

This is why I made the appearance on the Appetite for Distortion podcast. I was hoping to clarify some things :) I will do a second show if they'll have me on. It's up to them.

P.S. - His phone number was given to me from a friend. I am not the only one to have his phone number (or what we believe is his phone number, as I can't be for certain without Izzy confirming this). I did not include his phone number. Izzy is a traveler and I am certain his mobility makes it almost impossible to turn his home into a TMZ location, and frankly, he's not that sort of celebrity. Axl is. And the fact that Axl has managed to keep his personal life private means Izzy can as well. This story, I hope, won't change that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ArtTavana said:

Hi. Thank you for reading. I appreciate it. Just so we're clear: I did not publish directions to find him. I would never do that. I mentioned no landmarks or directions to his property, which is just one of the many properties he owns, all of which are public record and a Google search result away for fans to find. If a real estate broker has the right to know where he lives, then it is no secret. I am sorry if you feel I violated his privacy. As a reporter, we often investigate our subjects in ways that can become uncomfortable at times. But it's also no secret that Axl Rose lives in Malibu. This stuff is all available to the public. 

Also, without talking to Izzy himself, I cannot say with 100% certainty it was in fact the house he's currently occupying. But the fact that Izzy is in Ojai is no mystery. This is something most GNR fans and locals in the town of Ojai are well aware of. 

I did my best not to avoid writing a "pro Izzy" story. I wanted to present both sides without taking a side, but in doing so, because this was about Izzy (not Axl), it does lead to the conclusion that Izzy is the hero, and Axl, in many ways, the villain (which I don't believe he is, not a bit). I am a huge Axl fan. IMHO he is the greatest rock singer in history. I tried to make points in the story to establish that everything he did, he did for the betterment of the GNR machine, which led to some dangerous outcomes, but that's rock and roll. I also made it clear that Izzy left GNR for several reasons, not simply the fact that Axl Rose in 1991 was a very intense frontman with a lot of personal issues he was dealing with. This is also...no secret. 

This is why I made the appearance on the Appetite for Distortion podcast. I was hoping to clarify some things :) I will do a second show if they'll have me on. It's up to them.

P.S. - His phone number was given to me from a friend. I am not the only one to have his phone number (or what we believe is his phone number, as I can't be for certain without Izzy confirming this). I did not include his phone number. Izzy is a traveler and I am certain his mobility makes it almost impossible to turn his home into a TMZ location, and frankly, he's not that sort of celebrity. Axl is. And the fact that Axl has managed to keep his personal life private means Izzy can as well. This story, I hope, won't change that.

You created an excellent article that was a very good read. Thank you.

• Like 1