Appetite for Distortion Ep. 9 - LA Weekly Journalist Art Tavana Talks Izzy Stradlin (Link to article added to OP)

Interesting interview but does anybody else think that the fact that he went to Izzy's house is crossing way over the line? If he did as much research on Izzy as he says he did then he should know how private he is and how much something like that would creep Izzy out. I'm pretty sure that's even why Izzy stopped interacting on the Beenafix forum years ago was because of somebody showing up at his house. I'd love for Izzy to give an interview as much as the next person but we should still be respectful of his privacy and personal space. Just because it's easy to find his address doesn't give us a free pass to go visit like it's Disneyland.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kris_1989 said:

Interesting interview but does anybody else think that the fact that he went to Izzy's house is crossing way over the line? If he did as much research on Izzy as he says he did then he should know how private he is and how much something like that would creep Izzy out. I'm pretty sure that's even why Izzy stopped interacting on the Beenafix forum years ago was because of somebody showing up at his house. I'd love for Izzy to give an interview as much as the next person but we should still be respectful of his privacy and personal space. Just because it's easy to find his address doesn't give us a free pass to go visit like it's Disneyland.

i see where you are coming from but i think izzy is sorta used to that, he even wrote songs about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myZLwlPju5U

i mean, he probably doesnt like it, but he is probably somewhat used to that?

5 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i see where you are coming from but i think izzy is sorta used to that, he even wrote songs about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myZLwlPju5U

i mean, he probably doesnt like it, but he is probably somewhat used to that?

I don't think he meant that as "people come to my house so I'm gonna write a song about it"

21 minutes ago, ArtTavana said:

I left him a note. Once you read the story, which I hope you all do, you will see that I had no intention of invading his privacy beyond leaving a sealed envelope in his postbox (which is located in front of a tall gate). I couldn't even see into his property, nor did I care too. 

His address, while publicly available, is something I will not reveal. In the piece, I give no indication of exactly where he lives, or where he dines or does other things (even though his friends and other locals did give me a lot of this stuff). I did my best to protect his privacy while creating what I believe is a profile on a rock and roll icon who is a mystery to us all. I hope i have not offended him or his fans.

I look forward to being back on AFD for a sequel! 

Cheers,

Art Tavana

No worries, I wasn't trying to jump on you or anything. When I listened to the interview I thought you went on the property or something and didn't want other fans to think that was ok to do, know what I mean? I'm looking forward to your article and I hope that you'll post it here when it's published. :)

Edited by Kris_1989
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

No worries, I wasn't trying to jump on you or anything. When I listened to the interview I thought you went on the property or something and didn't want other fans to think that was ok to do, know what I mean? I'm looking forward to your article and I hope that you'll post it here when it's published. :)

I totally get it. I will definitely share it here when it runs :)

• Like 3

I thought the most interesting part of the podcast was learning that we are going to get an interview from Izzy next month. So we might learn a little more about the financial negotiations. Maybe. Any guessses as to who the lucky publication is? Rolling Stone seems the obvious choice (Andy Greene?) but it's Izzy so it might just as well be some random journalist from Norway or something. 

• Like 2

Loved the podcast, thanks @Elevation516 I always feel a little saner when I hear other people enthusing over GnR.

. @ArtTavana great interview, Interesting that you mention you managed to track down Juju Hound members and talk to them, do you know if there's any truth in these guys  working on something in 2017? I heard rumours of a box set, marking 25 years, seems unlikely but I have my fingers crossed.

An Izzy interview is really great news, I think?:wacko: Hopefully it concentrates on his current solo work.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Archtop said:

Loved the podcast, thanks @Elevation516 I always feel a little saner when I hear other people enthusing over GnR.

. @ArtTavana great interview, Interesting that you mention you managed to track down Juju Hound members and talk to them, do you know if there's any truth in these guys  working on something in 2017? I heard rumours of a box set, marking 25 years, seems unlikely but I have my fingers crossed.

An Izzy interview is really great news, I think?:wacko: Hopefully it concentrates on his current solo work.

The Ju Ju Hounds original lineup of Ashhurst, Stradlin, Quintana, and Richards...is not going to happen again. At least not any time soon, and sadly, probably not in this lifetime. That being said: I look forward to one day, when I have time, spending my days writing their history...

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Of course is great news, that interview is long overdue.

i am  really looking  forward to an interview, however it does make me nervous. I would still love to see Izzy take to the GnR stage, this might confirm "not in this life time".

• Like 2

Thanks again to all of you guys.  I truly feel @ArtTavana is the best guest we've had on thus far.  Although who we have planned for next show is pretty mind blowing I'd say.  Once again, please leave us a review on iTunes.  Brando and I are trying to get this thing big, and there are so many big guests we hope to get on if we can keep the momentum going.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Elevation516 said:

Thanks again to all of you guys.  I truly feel @ArtTavana is the best guest we've had on thus far.  Although who we have planned for next show is pretty mind blowing I'd say.  Once again, please leave us a review on iTunes.  Brando and I are trying to get this thing big, and there are so many big guests we hope to get on if we can keep the momentum going.

OMG who is the next guest? I'm excited to listen. I have to say I've been a lot of radio shows (local L.A. and BBC) and you guys were by far the coolest. When it comes to GNR, you guys provide a cool and fair platform for the various characters in their universe to voice their opinions. So thank you. Cheers. 

• Like 2

On 20.10.2016 at 1:57 AM, beautifulanddamned said:

It's pretty clear that something went down between Izzy and Jimmy Ashurst. Izzy broke that band up very abruptly and Jimmy said this about Izzy in an interview:

"I just don't know if the issues that Izzy and I have with each other will ever be resolved.  In order to make up with someone you have to first be able to speak to them, and to do that you need to first know where the hell they are.  Guys like that can be hard to deal with.  They just don't need you.  He can go on and do whatever it is he's doing just fine without me, and he doesn't seem to realize that sometimes a certain group of individuals, when working together, can create something that's irreplaceable...that can't be done on your own.  He's got the money, and obviously doesn't see what so many people who love him do, and there's nobody in his life who will risk their friendship with him by telling him the truth.  He's always been surrounded by "yes" people, and whenever someone pops up with a dissenting opinion, he can just disappear and replace that person with someone who's more agreeable."

Kind of ironic considering what's happening  with the reunion.  It's a shame though, the Ju Ju Hounds were awesome. 

Do you have a link to that interview? I remeber it was on beenafix but is long gone now and I couldn't find it anywhere else. There was also a Chalo Quintana interview that's disappeared :(

Anyways, many years later, Ashhurst point of view changed... All in all I think it was his abuse of drugs that caused the break up - you can sort of read it between the lines...

An interview from 2013:

I once read somewhere that you were a little bitter about the breakup of the Ju Ju Hounds.
For me, the years after realizing that the band was over were the hardest of my life. But the only person responsible for that is me by having allowed addiction to take me over completely. It was his band and he had every right to do or not do whatever he wanted with it. I just wish that whatever it was could’ve been worked out by talking to his friends and band members about it, and I wish that, if nothing else, we could’ve remained great friends.

So what ultimately caused the break-up?
There was a ton of pressure on the guy at the time, and even though the crowds in Europe, Japan, Mexico, Australia really seemed to appreciate what we were doing, the crowds and press in the US couldn’t seem to shake the G N’ R comparisons. I felt that must’ve weared on him quite a bit, ya know? The little bit we toured here was pretty brutal and attendance was never enough to be breaking even, let alone for it to be lucrative. He was spending a ton of his own money to make it happen. That gets expensive, and when it starts to feel under appreciated or appreciated for the wrong reasons, it starts to not make a whole lotta sense. Im glad to see that he still enjoys making and recording new music -just without all the drama and hustle-bustle of the whole deal … and right now, boy can I can relate! Anyway, the JuJu Hounds ended because Izzy didn’t wanna do it anymore. I’ll never know what he was feeling that would’ve led him to that decision because i’m not him. Any regrettable behavior on my part happened as a result of the end of that band, not while I was in it.

It was my favorite band and still is, and I was crushed that it was over. It took a long time to for me to even come to terms with it being finished. As a result, I made a series of terrible decisions regarding drugs/crowd in the years that followed that culminated in me being sent to prison.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ArtTavana said:

Here is a link to my story on Izzy Stradlin. I hope you guys like it. 

http://www.laweekly.com/music/wheres-izzy-searching-for-the-gnr-reunions-missing-person-7388840

-art 

Sweet thanks. I'ts morning here, and was looking for some morning coffee reading. Read some of your other stuff and dug it (the garageband piece was real interesting & insightful).