03/03/17 - Dubai, AE - Autism Rocks Arena

alfierose

Autism Rocks is a charity - it was set up where gigs / concerts around the world raise money for autism research.

So the Dubai arena is named after the charity. Some of the ticket money, plus any unused merch/food/drink vouchers can be donated to the charity instead of refunded.

The 'rocks' part of the name is simply to acknowledge that most of the funding comes from gigs

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Evil Ash said:

Doesn't the show start earlier?

no, it's local time - look back in this thread for links that states the times: doors: 4pm, supportband - Point of View: 8pm, GnR: 9pm.

Local time here: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/united-arab-emirates/dubai

But it would be a surprise if this time schedule holds - GnR probably would go on within 45 minutes after the supportband. 

Edited by Mickey

1 hour ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Last show of the leg tonight! Hoping for some surprises :)

Wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which gets filled first...

They haven't even bothered to play any of the "alt" songs other than Sorry.   Duff's solo song rotates A B A B A B like clockwork.

I don't think there are any surprises in store for tonight.

Maybe when they do the next round of US shows?  But even then I highly doubt it cause it's not like they're hitting any of the same markets as last year, so really why change things up? 

• Like 1

Im heading around 18.30 to the venue. Wished I could go earlier but since my wife is pregnant she doesnt want to stand to long. Killing time right now ?? ready for another phenomial rock show ????

1 hour ago, estrangedtwat said:

"Rock for Autism"

"Musicians for Autism"

"Autism Awareness Arena"

They had a lot of options, but they went with the baffling and tone deaf phrase "AUTISM ROCKS!!"

There are autistic kids at my work.  My nephew is highly autistic.   Trust me, it doesn't rock.

I get that their hearts were probably in the right place but that is just about the stupidest thing they could have called their charity.

You American ?

2 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

"Rock for Autism"

"Musicians for Autism"

"Autism Awareness Arena"

They had a lot of options, but they went with the baffling and tone deaf phrase "AUTISM ROCKS!!"

There are autistic kids at my work.  My nephew is highly autistic.   Trust me, it doesn't rock.

I get that their hearts were probably in the right place but that is just about the stupidest thing they could have called their charity.

I thought it was odd too, and I did some research. They do good things to raise money for research and awareness for Autisim.  Proceeds from the shows go to the cause.  My daughter is autistic, so I too thought "Autisim does not Rock" lol.  "We rock for Autisim" would have been a better name... ; However if they donate real money for the cause I wouldnt get too hung up on the name. ;)

Edited by metalms
  • Like 1