Throwback Thursday - GN'R Covers by my old band

Hey people, 

My friend sent some videos across to me a couple of weeks ago of our old band, he had stuff recorded from shitty little pubs and other places that we played at. One gig that stood out was this one, we helped out a friend once who organised county wide battle of the bands by doing a full set at a local school, part of the set was two GN'R covers; Mr Brownstone and 14 Years. The covers are a bit wonky in places - I can't sing anywhere near as good as Axl and the guitarist fucks up on both solos in some way, but considering back then we had foldback monitoring only and a full backline, it is to be expected, and the main thing is, we had a fucking good time playing the songs!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Killer man. Its interesting to see the kids say " shall we do the Do si Do or mosh?".

They were a great crowd! When you're playing to 20 somethings, they are far too preoccupied with what everyone else thinks of them to really cut loose and rock out. Unless they're 10 pints in....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would probably buy your album if you ever released one. :headbang: At 4:10, I was kind of expecting another verse and chorus or bridge and chorus after that mini breakdown. Also, are the tempo changes intentional, or "accidental"?

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mendez said:

I would probably buy your album if you ever released one. :headbang: At 4:10, I was kind of expecting another verse and chorus or bridge and chorus after that mini breakdown. Also, are the tempo changes intentional, or "accidental"?

Thanks man! The guitarist and I are working with the bass player from a later band we were in (I'll get some videos/demos of that one up soon) to get some tracks down, I have a lot of music that I have put together over the last couple of years and several tracks that I have done this year, which we are working on together. This is in addition to a couple of older tracks that we have re-recorded. Here is the album playlist on soundcloud, it is a bit out of date and some of the demos are pretty poor (High Hopes isn't even mixed as we never had the separates):

As for the timing thing, if you mean the half-time stuff in the chorus, then it's intentional. If you are talking about general BPM drifting, then that would be the drummer getting excited!

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i would definitely buy your album! :D

I will hold you to this when it is finally done!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Thanks man! The guitarist and I are working with the bass player from a later band we were in (I'll get some videos/demos of that one up soon) to get some tracks down, I have a lot of music that I have put together over the last couple of years and several tracks that I have done this year, which we are working on together. This is in addition to a couple of older tracks that we have re-recorded. Here is the album playlist on soundcloud, it is a bit out of date and some of the demos are pretty poor (High Hopes isn't even mixed as we never had the separates):

As for the timing thing, if you mean the half-time stuff in the chorus, then it's intentional. If you are talking about general BPM drifting, then that would be the drummer getting excited!

I will hold you to this when it is finally done!

not a problem ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I have several tracks that are in various stages of completion; one is very close to being finished and I have another four that are all demos, two are just first verse demos, the other two need parts re-recording and mixing. There is also another track that only has the guitars done at the moment. I think next year I will just work on one at a time!

I have thought about putting a "demo-reel" together with short clips of each track as a bit of a preview of what's to come. I'll also see if there is an old video I can put up today.

• Like 1

Something from 2007, after having a bit of an musical identity crisis the year before brought about by losing our bass player due to his inability to stop smoking weed, we disbanded Vital Signs and started Down Angel with a new bass player. Unfortunately, we were only together for a year before external circumstances led to us having to call it day. This is a song from the last gig we did; it was a small festival which was co-run by our then new bass player.

Edited by SoundOfAGun

On 12/1/2016 at 10:55 PM, SoundOfAGun said:

I have several tracks that are in various stages of completion; one is very close to being finished and I have another four that are all demos, two are just first verse demos, the other two need parts re-recording and mixing. There is also another track that only has the guitars done at the moment. I think next year I will just work on one at a time!

I have thought about putting a "demo-reel" together with short clips of each track as a bit of a preview of what's to come. I'll also see if there is an old video I can put up today.

that would excellent!!!:headbang: