Nintendo Switch

Gnrfan2001

nintendo is firing on all cilinders again, and i couldnt be happier

the world needs more nintendo now. too much war / terrorists / brutality and depression

happy colourfull trees, talking mushrooms, foxy princesses and turtles in underpants are where the fun is at.

the switch will be a serious mean ass console. i'm setting myself up for the time of my life. official portable emulation of nes, snes and N64 and portable AAA nintendo and third party games :drool:

5 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Right which is weird why it's in there. If you don't have a snack ready, you're fucked. It stops the action. 

I suppose it makes sense in that it gives you the ability to craft items instead of going into town to buy potions.

Anyway, I'm not that impressed with how the combat looks. The rest looks very good by WiiU tech standards. 

Interesting cause a lot of people are talking about the combat right now and how it looks vastly improved. I agree with this. If you compare video footage you can see especially in the new trailer the combat seems far more fluid and interesting.

You're fucked without food makes it more realistic. I think it will be similar in many ways to Zelda 1. I'd even say they finally seem to have found the way of the future of Zelda through realizing it's past well enough with current technology and enough trial and error. This time, I think they got it down.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Dan H. said:

Is it even possible that this device will have a respectable battery life AND a price tag below $450?

My expectations for battery life aren't very high. Everything I've read points to the price tag being pretty low for a new console (in the $249-$299 range). Thankfully I personally plan to use it more as a home console than a portable console, but I don't suspect it's something you could bring out to play for 7+ hours.

Nintendo's big presentation for the Switch is on the 13th, btw. We'll probably find out more about release specifics around then. I'm looking forward to seeing more from its library.

• 2 weeks later...

Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey, and Breath of the Wild (that trailer was incredible) have me incredibly excited. Great price point, too. Xenoblade 2 came out of nowhere and Xenoblade Chronicles was an excellent Wii game. Mario Odyssey had me very worried at first since the realistic people was a huge turnoff (and gave Sonic 06 vibes) but it looked fantastic as the gameplay went on. There's also the Mario Kart 8 upgrade (being called Mario Kart 8 Deluxe) which is perfect for me since I skipped Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon 2 looks like a very cool natural improvement over the original. Fire Emblem Warriors was also a neat surprise, as was the Shin Megami Tensei 25th Anniversary teaser. Very excited for all of this. Even ARMS, while looking campy and goofy, looks fun (though I probably won't get it since fighting games aren't really my thing).

E3's only 5 months away, so this is definitely not all they're working on.

• Like 1

I think the only weak spot so far is the lack of games available at launch and soon after.  Five games at launch.  Granted, one of them is Zelda, but not a whole lot after that.  

If Nintendo wants this system to succeed, it desperately needs to avoid making the same mistakes it made with the Wii U with respect to keeping keeping quality games in the pipeline.  They can't afford to go four to six months without a decent game, something the Wii U suffered from far too often.  

I also wonder if Mario showing up on the iPhone recently might give people the wrong impression that they'll soon be able to play top-tier Nintendo on their smartphones.  

Again, looks promising, but there's a lot ways this could go wrong.  Interestingly, Nintendo's stock was down 6 percent yesterday following the Switch's full reveal. 

1 hour ago, downzy said:

I think the only weak spot so far is the lack of games available at launch and soon after.  Five games at launch.  Granted, one of them is Zelda, but not a whole lot after that.  

If Nintendo wants this system to succeed, it desperately needs to avoid making the same mistakes it made with the Wii U with respect to keeping keeping quality games in the pipeline.  They can't afford to go four to six months without a decent game, something the Wii U suffered from far too often.  

I also wonder if Mario showing up on the iPhone recently might give people the wrong impression that they'll soon be able to play top-tier Nintendo on their smartphones.  

Again, looks promising, but there's a lot ways this could go wrong.  Interestingly, Nintendo's stock was down 6 percent yesterday following the Switch's full reveal. 

Stock tends to go down immediately after reveals pretty often from what I can tell.

I think the smart thing for Nintendo to do with the Switch is to make it the successor to both the 3DS and the Wii U. I think it would basically guarantee the system a good library of first party games at the very least if it combines a generation of series that are typically on their handheld consoles (Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Mario & Luigi) and a generation of games that are typically on their home consoles (major Zelda, 3D Mario, Smash Bros, Mario Kart titles). If you combine the 3DS and Wii U libraries right now, it'd be a pretty amazing library. I think Nintendo unveiling a 3DS sequel that's solely for handheld gaming would be a huge mistake and I'm really hoping we don't see that in the next few years.

8 hours ago, downzy said:

Not many games at launch. Zelda BOTW is my most anticipated title ever probably, but it is a Wii U game. It looks better though compared to previous trailers which is cool.

Mario showing up on the Iphone was for 10 bucks though. Maybe Nintendo did that not just cause they fuckin' love money, but also to differentiate it from other games in that platform. (read that online)

Nintendo and third parties is a problem cause Nintendo games sell better on their consoles. So even if it was a powerful console comparable to PS4 and XBOX 1 (which is not the case at all) I suspect it will still fail to sell as many third party games on it.

They took a bet on The Switch. If this thing takes off, it could very well replace the 3DS. If they keep pumping out AAA titles plus smaller titles which still have pretty good graphics and feel like Nintendo games, it could be a big success.

But yeah they said they have 80 games they're working on plus other companies of course, but 5 games at launch is poor, no matter how you slice it.

It's not possible to make it as powerful as a PS4 with that size, no fuckin' way. Perhaps in the future, but this could be the future, where every home console is also portable. It looks like a very interesting machine. Nintendo always tries to do something different.

Edited by Rovim

i'm ready for this, everything. most excited for nintendo since the gamecube days. some of the highlights:

mario is going hardcore again (confirmed by mijamoto), more exploration and a great variety of environments

zelda as a launch title, it doesnt get better than that. this seems too easily taken for granted, but if you think of it, it's awesome.

mario kart, i dont care what version, will be incredible. you can take your switch anywhere you want: your family, your work, your friend, even the train and have a quick match with someone out of the box.

yooka laylee is also confirmed for switch and will bring good old fashioned platforming and its accompanying british humour back

steep will be an awesome snowboarding game

fast racing neo will be heavily influenced by f zero gx and is a spiritual successor

street fighter II HD, again while the game is not new, the ability to play multiplayer anywhere out of the box, on the small screen, is beyond awesome and a game changer

splatoon 2, if it delivers on its promise of local multiplayer, will bring back the awesome gaming party nights of perfect dark and goldeneye

skyrim: now i can delve in this game while the wife watches tv.

beyond good and evil 2: will be a brilliant action adventure, trust me. timed switch exclusive

seasons of heaven: you play as an autistic kid and his dog, the concept alone intrigues me

also to keep an eye on: a new retro studios game (developer of metroid prime), something with the eternal darkness ip (licence recently renewed), konami's games, ...

Pros: Zelda at launch, a proper new 3D Mario title (which looks awesome), portability of the console (even if it's just a gimmick for now - I have no doubt it can succeed both the Wii U and 3DS), $299 starting price is fair

Cons: only five launch titles, the fact that an extra controller costs 1/3 of the console itself, and once you get outside of Mario/Zelda/etc... some of the games look more like party mini-games that might be fun for ten minutes, and, last but not least, this console is what the Wii U should have been and therefore I still feel like they're behind (and I'm not convinced they've got as much third party support as they claim)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

Everyone watch the above video of ARMS if you haven't already. I bet this game will be overlooked and presumed to be gimmicky but it seems to actually be quite deep and unique.

as much as i appreciate the fun and novelty of this game, there are too many other games that i have to buy day 1, for being more traditional than arms:

zelda

mario

fast racing neo

yooka laylee

street fighter

steep

skyrim

mario kart

Edited by action

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

These are the games I've got my eye on and the order they're being released.
March 3rd:Zelda Breath of the Wild, Super Bomberman R.
March: Fast RMX
April 28th: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
May: Puyo Puyo Tetris, ARMS.
Rime
Splatoon 2
Skyrim
Super Mario Odyssey

Also these games most of which if not all will be out this year but currently have unspecified release dates.
Ultra Street Fighter II The Last Challengers
Yooka-Laylee
Fire Emblem Warriors
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Shin Megami Tensei
Octopath Traveler
Sonic Mania
Redout
Binding of Isaac Afterbirth Plus

P.S. I agree with those who say the launch lineup is pretty sparse BUT 1. Zelda will be a big exciting game and we'll busy enough with that. 2. There will be multiple 'must-buy' games coming out all throughout the year plus unconfirmed/unannounced games. 3. Out of these 19 games I've listed at least 8 of them will be Switch exclusive. One more thing, I'm astounded they haven't bundled 1,2 Switch in with the console I think that was a mistake.

it's one of my favorite launch lineups ever, and that's all to do with zelda. arguably, zelda is the single greatest gaming franchise ever.