Nintendo Switch

Gnrfan2001

12 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Fuck I want this thing

I absolutely folded like a cheap card table and bought one yesterday. I was busy enough to where I didn't even get to touch it until a few minutes ago. Went through set up and have Zelda downloading now.

• Like 2

Bought one at midnight sale. Waited 6 hours (didn't need to though) first in line. I'm a Zelda fan, so I have no choice but to buy it! lol.

Console much smaller than I thought. I won't use the portable aspect much (as I have a 3ds) so I'll just play at home. Looking forward to

other games like Mario and Mario Cart, maybe even a Donkey Kong game. Can't help it, I'm old school. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I absolutely folded like a cheap card table and bought one yesterday. I was busy enough to where I didn't even get to touch it until a few minutes ago. Went through set up and have Zelda downloading now.

Omg i want to come over and see it soon haha

• Like 1

Zelda is pretty incredible. Played about 9 hours yesterday after buying it. I thought Nintendo would stumble a bit trying to transition the series into an open world adventure type of game, but it's amazing. Also much more difficult than I ever would have guessed for a modern Nintendo game. Series like Pokemon and Mario & Luigi are basically 30 hour tutorials at this point. This game pushes you in a direction once in a while and you're on your own for the rest.

• Like 3

to all those that bought a switch: congratulations. i hope you will all have a wonderfull time with it.

i'm looking forward to games that are actually games, with great gameplay. nintendo surely knows how to make a great game; see the absolutely revolutionary BOTW. to be able to climb anything for example, then fly off of it, it is unseen in an open world game. nintendo is rewriting the rules of game development. this is everything i hoped, and then some.

Edited by action
  • Like 1

So after playing Zelda for about 40 hours, and also Horizon Zero Dawn for 10, I feel like Zelda is a masterpiece, truly showcasing what the Zelda team can do, gameplay wise it's everything I ever wanted from a Zelda.

But it can't run smoothly in 900p. It wasn't suppose to run on that resolution. The art style is perfect, but with a more capable console, it could have looked like the first trailer which looked about twice as good compared to the final version of the game.

Gameplay will always be more important, the Switch is a great portable system. But even with the Pro controller, while docked it feels like a more powerful Wii U tbh.

You can't even count on Nintendo to deliver something comparable in power, it's ridiculous that my hope currently for the next system is that it will be as powerful as a PS4 lol.

And having a PC and a PS4 doesn't solve shit cause I want Nintendo gameplay with a powerful enough of a console for Nintendo devs to have total freedom. They didn't have it with Breath Of The Wild which is a shame cause never have I played a better game in my life. (Metroid Prime came close though)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I kinda feel like I'm doing something wrong in Zelda. Yes, it's huge but that's also a disadvantage. Since it's so big and so open world, I've found myself wondering and wondering in between anything going on at all.

me too. but eventually you get a sense of purpose.

also, once you get some attributes it becomes a wildly fun platformer. surf the land on your shield, paraglide off any mountain, throwing grenades is incredibly satisfying and then there are countles other fun gameplay elements; scale mountains, climb trees.... all of which is entirely revolutionary and absent in other games of the same genre. the world is a giant playground and unlike other open world games where your just traversing the land, the big difference with zelda is you can play in these lands like it was a platformer

hang on and give it time. it's an absolute blast to play this game, i promise

Edited by action
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, action said:

me too. but eventually you get a sense of purpose.

also, once you get some attributes it becomes a wildly fun platformer. surf the land on your shield, paraglide off any mountain, throwing grenades is incredibly satisfying and then there are countles other fun gameplay elements; scale mountains, climb trees.... all of which is entirely revolutionary and absent in other games of the same genre. the world is a giant playground and unlike other open world games where your just traversing the land, the big difference with zelda is you can play in these lands like it was a platformer

hang on and give it time. it's an absolute blast to play this game, i promise

Right on. I ain't mad at it, I just get a little frustrated. 

For example, I went to find Impa in Kakariko Village. I didn't really know what I was doing, so I just traversed over the entire map to get to Kakariko without really doing anything else. So I talked to Impa, screwed around in the village some, then got the new objective about Forgotten Memories (I think?). 

Having said all that, I never managed to light up a tower that I would need to in order to see the full map of the area I'm in and now the game is telling me to head way the hell over to another area just to get to another destination.

Sounds like complaining about nothing, but since you've played the game a bunch, you probably know what I'm talking about. So for now, I think I'm going to wonder around the land I'm already in and try to find a tower to light up the rest of the map to see what else there is to do there before I head to another huge area. 

Does that sound like a good plan or am I doing things entirely wrong all together?? lol

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Right on. I ain't mad at it, I just get a little frustrated. 

For example, I went to find Impa in Kakariko Village. I didn't really know what I was doing, so I just traversed over the entire map to get to Kakariko without really doing anything else. So I talked to Impa, screwed around in the village some, then got the new objective about Forgotten Memories (I think?). 

Having said all that, I never managed to light up a tower that I would need to in order to see the full map of the area I'm in and now the game is telling me to head way the hell over to another area just to get to another destination.

Sounds like complaining about nothing, but since you've played the game a bunch, you probably know what I'm talking about. So for now, I think I'm going to wonder around the land I'm already in and try to find a tower to light up the rest of the map to see what else there is to do there before I head to another huge area. 

Does that sound like a good plan or am I doing things entirely wrong all together?? lol

seems to me you're already farther than me, lol. you should be telling me, lol.

first two hours of me playing the game was just climbing trees and rocks. it truly felt like a new experience. i've played a bunch of open world games and none gave me the play options and verticality that zelda does. and the moment i could paraglide off the plateau, i was just sold.

for now, i just love to throw around grenades at various enemies, preferably in group and wreck mayhem. all very satisfying stuff

• Like 1

5 hours ago, action said:

seems to me you're already farther than me, lol. you should be telling me, lol.

first two hours of me playing the game was just climbing trees and rocks. it truly felt like a new experience. i've played a bunch of open world games and none gave me the play options and verticality that zelda does. and the moment i could paraglide off the plateau, i was just sold.

for now, i just love to throw around grenades at various enemies, preferably in group and wreck mayhem. all very satisfying stuff

Lol, right on. Yeah, I got to spend more time with it today and I'm starting to get more of the hang of it. The world still seems HUGE but the more shrines I bust through, the more I get around easier making it not so bad.

• Like 1

Altough the game has it's upsides, such as cool and diverse armor and gear, what really gets under my skin is weapon breakage, I don't mind that rusty stuff breaks easily, but I have never thought that I would have to think if I have enough double axes to kill a larger foe. Seriously. It sucks.

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Altough the game has it's upsides, such as cool and diverse armor and gear, what really gets under my skin is weapon breakage, I don't mind that rusty stuff breaks easily, but I have never thought that I would have to think if I have enough double axes to kill a larger foe. Seriously. It sucks.

It has so many survival elements, you can call it a survival game. It makes sense in context to the theme of the game, and the breakage was annoying to me at first, I like to know I can depend on only a few weapons in a game and make the best use of that.

But this Zelda forced me to be more dynamic with my choices and use of weapons, the game does make it easier to manage weapon breakage as you progress through the world.

But it's fine, like there's a lot of weapons and being prepared with the cooking and weapons makes the experience more authentic for me and it doesn't bother me anymore, it's just a design choice and they've implemented it so well, I can't complain. But a lot of people are not feeling the weapon breakage at all. It's new to Zelda how they did it in this one.

The stamina meter was annoying as fuck in Skyward Sword. A lot of people disliked it. They still brought it back for Breath Of The Wild and it's such a big part of the game and perfect imo. And you couldn't really even jump in a Zelda game before or climb anything, or fly anywhere, so you still have way more freedom compared to past games even if your shit breaks sometimes.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I think the aim here was to give you the freedom to get stuck, maybe it means they've achieved their goal. It's an open world game, but packed with stuff to do, things to see. One of the great things about the game for me is how they found a balance between open world freedom, a meaningful story, but still good vs. evil classic Zelda, and making every inch of the world relevant, yet making it breath to not take away your freedom.

The bite sized Shrines were a big part of the solution as they give you a break from the outside so you get a very varied experience but you're still going back outside in time to not break the experience.

EAD Tokyo (Mario development team) will really have to bring it this time to not shame themselves and Nintendo as a whole. But they have something cool on their hands it seems.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, I find that more than a little irritating. 

BOTW already is better than anything released on the Wii or WiiU combined.

I can't put my finger on it, but it feels we have our "old" Nintendo back. Before they made grandma games, Nintendo was all about hardcore getting your ass kicked. Mario world star road, super Metroid, majora's mask, f zero GX....

the Wii and WiiU were, without a shed of a doubt, more geared to casual gamers and I watched it all go downhill. I still bought the Wii out of sympathy  but I passed on the WiiU. And although the WiiU sometimes sparked my interest with fast racing neo, it just wasn't enough. I'm more than happy to see it gets re-released on the switch.

I can just "feel" they have more surprises for us. a new Metroid prime? eternal darkness? wave race? and even if they don't happen, I can "feel" Nintendo again. the magic is back. everytime I watch that brilliant new little console, the neon colours, the potent concept of taking your console anywhere, the utterly engrossing BOTW.... I feel like I'm 16 again and it doesn't seem to stop...

I get the resources needed to make and launch a game like Zelda, Mario, and Metroid, but I still don't understand why Nintendo is so stingy in releases.  How has there not been a new console Metroid Prime game since 2010?  Why weren't there four or five other iconic Nintendo branded games ready to go at launch?  I get that you want to put some distance between the two biggest Nintendo brands (Zelda and Mario), but considering the kind of back catalogue and resources at Nintendo's disposal, there was so much more they could have offered for the Switch launch.  

Nintendo needs to view the Switch as a make or break product.  They really handicapped themselves by not marshalling the resources to have more of their iconic brands ready to go at launch.  I don't see Nintendo making another hardware system if the Switch fails to live up to expectations.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, downzy said:

I get the resources needed to make and launch a game like Zelda, Mario, and Metroid, but I still don't understand why Nintendo is so stingy in releases.  How has there not been a new console Metroid Prime game since 2010?  Why weren't there four or five other iconic Nintendo branded games ready to go at launch?  I get that you want to put some distance between the two biggest Nintendo brands (Zelda and Mario), but considering the kind of back catalogue and resources at Nintendo's disposal, there was so much more they could have offered for the Switch launch.  

Nintendo needs to view the Switch as a make or break product.  They really handicapped themselves by not marshalling the resources to have more of their iconic brands ready to go at launch.  I don't see Nintendo making another hardware system if the Switch fails to live up to expectations.  

As a Switch owner myself, I couldn't agree more. 

I've been enjoying the hell out of Zelda, but the only other thing I'm remotely interested in right now is Bomberman. I went ahead and bought that too but immediately regretted it.

1 hour ago, downzy said:

agreed. nintendo is sitting on a goldmine of great IP's. they could release nothing but past games and people would still herald it as the second coming. but they are even slacking off getting VC to the switch.

still, were it not because of nintendo i'd have quit gaming long ago. nintendo makes it hard to love them sometimes but hot damn can they make brilliant games when they want to

26 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

As a Switch owner myself, I couldn't agree more. 

I've been enjoying the hell out of Zelda, but the only other thing I'm remotely interested in right now is Bomberman. I went ahead and bought that too but immediately regretted it.

i hear you.

fuck, a promise of a new metroid is all I ask. just give us some news. anything will do. but the fact that i can get excited over something like the UI, shows there isn't much else to appreciate (apart from zelda of course)

damn, life as a nintendo fan is hard. but so is being a GNR fan, for that matter. guess both value quality over quantitiy

The problem with Nintendo is it behaves much like most other Japanese electronic companies.  It's why most of Japan's most iconic brands have been surpassed by Korean or American brands in the last five to ten years.  

They're just too inward looking of a company, unwilling to accept outside criticism or see the world changing around them.  They act as though because they are the godfather of modern gaming that they'll be around forever regardless of their current or future efforts.  I see a lot similar behaviour and posturing by Nikon and other Japanese camera companies.  Too much groupthink and denial about where the industry is heading.  They'd rather prefer to ignore current trends and act as though their glory days will return.  Nikon has essentially fucked themselves by ignoring the onslaught of smartphones while doing little to cater to their middle to high-end niche users that have essentially become their only customers.   

I give Nintendo credit for trying to innovate to a certain degree.  Sony and Microsoft have essentially been making the same machine for fifteen to twenty years now - just a more powerful iteration of the previous machine.  Nintendo at least tries to make something new.  

But they need to understand that their value is with their brands and their ability to make amazing games.  While we all might feel some grief if Nintendo stopped being a hardware company due to feelings of nostalgia, those feels would be quickly relieved if Nintendo focuses their efforts on producing more fantastic games for the Xbox or Playstation.  Imagine the new Zelda game on a PS4 with its abilities to provide 1080p 60fps video quality or the upcoming Xbox Scorpio with native 4k output?  Nintendo could become the next Take-Two/Rockstar if it released quality iterations of their biggest gaming brands on a three to four year basis (and considering how many iconic brands they own, they could do two to four per year).  

While I think the Switch is a clever idea, I just don't see it succeeding in the long run.  It's attempting to fight a two-front war in both mobile and home-based gaming.  If it were a true competitor to the iPhone and Xbox, then sure.  But outside of their gaming catalogue, Nintendo is at a severe deficit here.   Nintendo could greatly improve itself if it were willing to use all the tools at its disposal.  This means being more proactive about releasing more quality games using iconic characters, but it has long abandoned that approach since the waining days of the Super NES.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, downzy said:

Retro studios were busy making 2 new games and a port in a more successful series of games for 3 different systems. So they released Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3d for the 3ds and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for the Wii U. Metroid was never a great seller. All 3 Nintendo systems got a Retro game. Metroid: Federation Force for the 3ds was released as a stop gap it seems and was not developed by Retro. (Next Level Games)

Mario 3d World was the main Mario game for the Wii U and Breath Of The Wild was released for the system eventually. They came up with Splatoon which was a huge success as a new franchise. Arms seems to be their newest experiment.

The release of the Switch was premature, but they had no choice but to release it early cause the Wii U failed. Not worth it to produce new games when the install base is too small to make a real profit. So maybe whatever Retro was working on got moved to the Switch cause the Wii U was such a huge fail for Nintendo. It wasn't worth it to release the next Zelda on it and not also on the Switch, let alone a game like Metroid which doesn't really sell big.

Nintendo needs more time to properly iron out all the flaws they can fix, and implement their new online service. Shit takes time, they've merged some of their resources, creating a proper online service for the first time, and they're probably working on more big games they haven't announced yet, saving some things for E3 maybe. We'll get a Zelda and a Mario in 2017, Mario is almost complete and must be ready for the holidays.

Metroid could be announced soon or Retro has been working on something else. Even the Zelda team got some help in open world design, NPC's, text, etc from Monolith Software so Nintendo is trying some things they have never tried before in that scale.

Edited by Rovim

16 hours ago, downzy said:

The problem with Nintendo is it behaves much like most other Japanese electronic companies.  It's why most of Japan's most iconic brands have been surpassed by Korean or American brands in the last five to ten years.  

They're just too inward looking of a company, unwilling to accept outside criticism or see the world changing around them.  They act as though because they are the godfather of modern gaming that they'll be around forever regardless of their current or future efforts.  I  

But they need to understand that their value is with their brands and their ability to make amazing games.  While we all might feel some grief if Nintendo stopped being a hardware company due to feelings of nostalgia, those feels would be quickly relieved if Nintendo focuses their efforts on producing more fantastic games for the Xbox or Playstation.  Imagine the new Zelda game on a PS4 with its abilities to provide 1080p 60fps video quality or the upcoming Xbox Scorpio with native 4k output?  Nintendo could become the next Take-Two/Rockstar if it released quality iterations of their biggest gaming brands on a three to four year basis (and considering how many iconic brands they own, they could do two to four per year).  

While I think the Switch is a clever idea, I just don't see it succeeding in the long run.  It's attempting to fight a two-front war in both mobile and home-based gaming.  If it were a true competitor to the iPhone and Xbox, then sure.  But outside of their gaming catalogue, Nintendo is at a severe deficit here.   Nintendo could greatly improve itself if it were willing to use all the tools at its disposal.  This means being more proactive about releasing more quality games using iconic characters, but it has long abandoned that approach since the waining days of the Super NES.  

Nintendo's first console was a handheld. Their approach to making videogames always took advantage of what you can do when you develop both the hardware and the software. They are slow to change as a company, but they make changes all the time, it's important for them to keep the identity of their games and they want to be like the Disney of videogames basically.

They don't compete directly with Sony and Microsoft cause to take losses on hardware and focusing on power was never ever their chosen strategy. It was selling an affordable gaming console with perfect gameplay, focusing on fun and unique shit you can't get anywhere else cause you're looking for that Nintendo signature magic.

It's like comparing a fusion chef with an old school cook with 60 years of experience making totally awesome food that doesn't taste like nothing else, but you kinda expect the advantages of having all the modern tech in every console by any company cause the other 2  can do amazing shit that's pretty much the standard now. But that's ignoring the way Nintendo operates and what they aim to offer.

They didn't make all this money cause they're stupid. It's a transitioning period for them with a new president and new business strategies and partnerships with other developers, but without the freedom of always trying new and maybe risky things, Nintendo cannot move forward cause they can't beat Sony at their own game. They're better at being Nintendo and finding the balance of affordable hardware that always tries to highlight the great things about Nintendo games and delivering quality.

It's good to have one quirky company that offers very different things to a PS4 experience which is also great.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1