RIP Shannon Hoon (Don't Cry At The Ritz '91)

5 hours ago, JY2016 said:

Since I have seen GNR last summer, Blind Melon will remain the only band on my bucket list. Such a great band...

Live at the Palace is a great live record!!

I was there at milton keynes when they played 1st at the gnr show in 93. They were a decent act.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hudsonsaul said:

Is there any evidence or recordings of Blind Melon / Shannon's version of Don't Cry? I'm assuming he was covering it before meeting the Blind Melon guys.

I remember their beeing some liveshow frome some Indiana coverband gig with Shannon hoon on youtube that was pre blind melon but I don't recal any cover version of dont cry. 

Shannon passing away at such a young age is a thing, he had a unique tallent and great quality as an artist. 

2 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Me too! I really liked Soul Asylum and The Cult too. Excellent  support at that concert.Did you go Saturday or Sunday?

Did soul asylum Open for Guns? I misses that? Thats another great band. I found the video i mentioned above. Maby its not a coverband but this is a coversong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Todubblebe said:

Did soul asylum Open for Guns? I misses that? Thats another great band. I found the video i mentioned above. Maby its not a coverband but this is a coversong.

Thanks for that. 

Blind Melon are one of my favourite bands, and one of those bands I've teetered on going to GnR geek levels with. I've always found it interesting, that Axl has more than once referenced Hoon covering Don't Cry - however I'm not sure how he would have heard it, GNR played it before AFD was released but Hoon wouldn't have been around to watch these shows during that time as he was Indiana based. From reading of Blind Melon he wasn't mates with Axl & Izzy back in Indiana either. So makes me think Axl is just adding a bit of myth and stuff in his way of supporting a young dude from his hometown starting out.

It's all irrellavant anyways and doesn't matter. Shannon Hoon was an awesome singer, great lyrics too, and a great element to great band.

14 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

Thanks for that. 

Blind Melon are one of my favourite bands, and one of those bands I've teetered on going to GnR geek levels with. I've always found it interesting, that Axl has more than once referenced Hoon covering Don't Cry - however I'm not sure how he would have heard it, GNR played it before AFD was released but Hoon wouldn't have been around to watch these shows during that time as he was Indiana based. From reading of Blind Melon he wasn't mates with Axl & Izzy back in Indiana either. So makes me think Axl is just adding a bit of myth and stuff in his way of supporting a young dude from his hometown starting out.

It's all irrellavant anyways and doesn't matter. Shannon Hoon was an awesome singer, great lyrics too, and a great element to great band.

No problem.

I kind of re discovered blind melon in the late 90's or early 00 long after Shannon had passed.

I was working in a record store and found Soup.

I remembered that liked the no rain video and I saw a few minutes of their Woodstock gig on Pay-TV in the early 90's but Soup opened my eyes to the band.

Soup is one of those albums that I still enjoy after hundreds of listening and I fell that I can still discover something new in it.

On 2016-10-22 at 8:29 PM, hudsonsaul said:

Thanks for that. 

As big of blind melon fan as I am GNR which is fucking huge

so just to set it straight. Axl didn't know Shannon growing up, Shannon was friends with Axl's sister. When Shannon announced he was leaving for LA, Axl's sister told Axl to look out for her buddy and then Axl and Shannon became friends.

Still think Axl was dick for not going to Shannon's funeral but apparently he was going to but had one of his melt downs.

Good post! I am really confused, I had always thought Hoon committed suicide, but when this thread prompted me to look him up there is no mention of suicide, just a coke OD.  Was it ever a rumor that he killed himself or did I just horribly misremember?  I had to have heard that somewhere.  Was it the initial report/theory?

4 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Good post! I am really confused, I had always thought Hoon committed suicide, but when this thread prompted me to look him up there is no mention of suicide, just a coke OD.  Was it ever a rumor that he killed himself or did I just horribly misremember?  I had to have heard that somewhere.  Was it the initial report/theory?

I knew it was an OD, but I thought for sure it was heroin, not cocaine. I don't think there was ever a rumor he killed himself, but then again I had the drug completely wrong so I'm not the best source lol