The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

14 hours ago, wasted said:

No I was just joking quoting True Romance. I know neat isn't meant to be belittling, but sounds that way sometimes. Neat like how? You talking to neat?

Shanghai is just rammed full of asian restaurants. I live in the Japanese/Korean area so it leans more to that but there's dim sum and yunnan, hunan, sichuan restaurants everywhere. These Japanese department stores are mind blowing. Just Sushi and beef extravaganzas. Sushi style stuff not that expensive. This one place has trays of crab salad for 38rmb. 

That's why low carb. I've been eating noodles and rice bowl deals, mixed up with fries and burgers, pizza for too long. Dim sum is a killer too. Cheap Tsingdao beer and Suntory raining down on me. Also craft beer taking off in China, so you go for shrimp barbq and end up having 3 litres of IPA. The humidity makes you thirsty. Tsingdao Black beer is out. It tastes like coca-cola. 

So going the european route for the summer. Japanese is okay with beef and salad. Avoid the japanese italian bistro cafe places though. You end up having 3 Asahis with pizza and carbonara on the side with a crab potato salad. 

Shanghai has all these different influences, so there's the French area, then japan and korean influence plus the California chains. Add in all the chinese stuff and it's just too many options, styles going on. And the german beer and restaurants and Tapas bars everywhere. 

Oh, good.  Glad I hadn't accidentally been offensive.  I dont know True Romance, but at this point even Seinfeld references would no doubt fly over my head, haha.  Struggling with concentration.  I use "neat" a lot and should maybe be more aware of how it can read.  I know that "take care" rubs me the wrong way even though people often likely mean well.  And also other times "take care" is the new "fuck off" I think.

Would love to live somewhere like that, especially with those prices!  Love crab!

I wouldn't last on low carb there, thats for sure.  Craft beer = IPA the world over I see

Do you have any idea how the French, German and Spanish influences came to be?  Like, are these from large scale German immigration?  Maybe France is from colonial projects in places like Vietnam?  I just find that intriguing. 

Sounds like you've got a bit of almost everything, which is awesome!

Please offer me your favourite uses, preparations and pairings for herbs?

Yesterday evening I got to trim some herbs for the their first times of the year.  French Tarragon, Greek Oregano, Garden Sage.  Also trimmed off some horseradish leaves, which carry the distinctive flavour.  And more chives which have been going for a while.

I also trimmed some chamomile flowers and lemon balm which I'm drying on a screen for tea.

Infused a number of broths:

- garlic, chives sautéed in olive oil, tarragon added a minute before chicken broth poured in, brought to boil, cooked down with some extra water and fresh tarragon added along the way. Tasted like a light, simple pho. Then mashed a baked sweet potato in the tarragon broth.

- same process with oregano and a touch of sage.  Thinking about using this in a marinara.

- beef broth same process with horseradish leaf stalks (like beets or swiss chard) and touch of sage.  Then I sautéed the chopped leaves and deglazed with the broth, cooked down.  Added most of the broth and pureed.  Puree will be under roast beef on plate with remaining broth used in simple pan sauce over top

Today I think Ill play with some mint I grow on balcony.  Maybe Pea/mint/yogurt puree to pair with frozen lobster tail?

• Like 1

Cooked Shakshuka for the first time last night. This is the recipe I used http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/shakshouka_74716

I first tried the dish last year at a restaurant and wasn't too impressed, but I love this version, definitely adding it in my regular cooking rota. All the ingredients are cheap, veggie and likely to already be in your cupboards. 

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 19.07.23.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soon said:

Please offer me your favourite uses, preparations and pairings for herbs?

Yesterday evening I got to trim some herbs for the their first times of the year.  French Tarragon, Greek Oregano, Garden Sage.  Also trimmed off some horseradish leaves, which carry the distinctive flavour.  And more chives which have been going for a while.

I also trimmed some chamomile flowers and lemon balm which I'm drying on a screen for tea.

Infused a number of broths:

- garlic, chives sautéed in olive oil, tarragon added a minute before chicken broth poured in, brought to boil, cooked down with some extra water and fresh tarragon added along the way. Tasted like a light, simple pho. Then mashed a baked sweet potato in the tarragon broth.

- same process with oregano and a touch of sage.  Thinking about using this in a marinara.

- beef broth same process with horseradish leaf stalks (like beets or swiss chard) and touch of sage.  Then I sautéed the chopped leaves and deglazed with the broth, cooked down.  Added most of the broth and pureed.  Puree will be under roast beef on plate with remaining broth used in simple pan sauce over top

Today I think Ill play with some mint I grow on balcony.  Maybe Pea/mint/yogurt puree to pair with frozen lobster tail?

sorry i am so late with this, have had the stomach bug from hell :(

Penne alla San Giovanni

1 lb penne pasta

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

5 cloves garlic, crushed

8 ounces prosciutto

1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup butter

25 fresh sage leaves

Cook the penne as directed on the package. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until it starts to color, about 2 minutes. Add the prosciutto and continue to cook until the meat is browned. Add the walnuts and saute for 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat.

Add the cooked pasta to the saute pan and toss. Stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Place in a serving dish.

Heat the butter in a clean saute pan and add the sage. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon the sage-flavored butter over the pasta and serve.

while i started out using this recipe word for word as i have made it more over the years sometimes if i can't afford prosciutto i buy ham and dice it and use that. i always julienne the sage leaves because i don't want whole leaves in the sage butter sauce. but it's really good. i hope you enjoy it if you decide to make it :)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

sorry i am so late with this, have had the stomach bug from hell :(

Penne alla San Giovanni

1 lb penne pasta

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

5 cloves garlic, crushed

8 ounces prosciutto

1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup butter

25 fresh sage leaves

Cook the penne as directed on the package. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until it starts to color, about 2 minutes. Add the prosciutto and continue to cook until the meat is browned. Add the walnuts and saute for 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat.

Add the cooked pasta to the saute pan and toss. Stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Place in a serving dish.

Heat the butter in a clean saute pan and add the sage. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon the sage-flavored butter over the pasta and serve.

while i started out using this recipe word for word as i have made it more over the years sometimes if i can't afford prosciutto i buy ham and dice it and use that. i always julienne the sage leaves because i don't want whole leaves in the sage butter sauce. but it's really good. i hope you enjoy it if you decide to make it :)

Thanks!  And my herb call out wasnt me being impatient :)

Im sorry you had that bug!  And for a few days.  yikes.  Glad youre on the mend.

This sounds so delicious!  Love walnuts, love sage, love pasta!  This is happening soon!

7 minutes ago, soon said:

Thanks!  And my herb call out wasnt me being impatient :)

Im sorry you had that bug!  And for a few days.  yikes.  Glad youre on the mend.

This sounds so delicious!  Love walnuts, love sage, love pasta!  This is happening soon!

oh i did not think that. i really felt bad about not doing it sooner.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soon said:

Oh, good.  Glad I hadn't accidentally been offensive.  I dont know True Romance, but at this point even Seinfeld references would no doubt fly over my head, haha.  Struggling with concentration.  I use "neat" a lot and should maybe be more aware of how it can read.  I know that "take care" rubs me the wrong way even though people often likely mean well.  And also other times "take care" is the new "fuck off" I think.

Would love to live somewhere like that, especially with those prices!  Love crab!

I wouldn't last on low carb there, thats for sure.  Craft beer = IPA the world over I see

Do you have any idea how the French, German and Spanish influences came to be?  Like, are these from large scale German immigration?  Maybe France is from colonial projects in places like Vietnam?  I just find that intriguing. 

Sounds like you've got a bit of almost everything, which is awesome!

I suppose a lot of cities are like that now but with all the asian stuff it's overwhelming. There's 30 mil people eating out in Shanghai. Home cooking is getting more popular with French style being taken on more. Similar cultures in a way, focused on family and eating. 

I think the French were here, that's why there's the French concession area with avenues of trees and cafes. I think might be that Vietnam era. They seem very established in Shanghai. There was also that time when America was here fighting Japanese like in that movie Lust, Caution. Empire of the Sun also. Not sure about German but they were in Tsingdao that's why they make beer there, it was german brewery at first. Not sure spanish but there's been influx of Spanish and Italian after the financial problems in europe. They are used to huge sprawling cities and scooters. It's good place to set up restaurants or whatever your country does as Chinese are interested. They are into red wine and all craft beers, Belgium, they go for the best from everywhere. That must be why German beer is flooding in. 

15 hours ago, wasted said:

I suppose a lot of cities are like that now but with all the asian stuff it's overwhelming. There's 30 mil people eating out in Shanghai. Home cooking is getting more popular with French style being taken on more. Similar cultures in a way, focused on family and eating. 

I think the French were here, that's why there's the French concession area with avenues of trees and cafes. I think might be that Vietnam era. They seem very established in Shanghai. There was also that time when America was here fighting Japanese like in that movie Lust, Caution. Empire of the Sun also. Not sure about German but they were in Tsingdao that's why they make beer there, it was german brewery at first. Not sure spanish but there's been influx of Spanish and Italian after the financial problems in europe. They are used to huge sprawling cities and scooters. It's good place to set up restaurants or whatever your country does as Chinese are interested. They are into red wine and all craft beers, Belgium, they go for the best from everywhere. That must be why German beer is flooding in. 

I cant even begin to fathom a population of 30 million!  

Thanks for filling me in about the western immigrations.  It kinda sounds like the westerners end up there running restaurants just like how chinese people end up owning restaurants here.  I just didnt realize China allowed such robust immigration.  The beer geek in me is especially into how the Germans brought beer and set up a brewery and thats the same brewery that makes the beer I (part german raised in an era with a huge german population) order my Chinese beer at the Chinese restaurant.  Thats really cool to know!  Makes sense once you say it about the Spainish and Italian influx.

German beer is often marked up a lot here, save for a few affordable brands.  

w4lcvkl.jpg

All the summer flavours coming out of the pantry.  Im thinking a @wasted inspired no tortilla chip nacho, and I'd bet these flavours are in @AxlsFavoriteRose wheel house?

Open to all of course; what should I make?

sweet corn, salsa and pickled hot peppers (mild)

Ive thawed a lobster tail which is a frontrunner to pair, but it doesnt have to 

Just now, soon said:

w4lcvkl.jpg

All the summer flavours coming out of the pantry.  Im thinking a @wasted inspired no tortilla chip nacho, and I'd bet these flavours are in @AxlsFavoriteRose wheel house?

Open to all of course; what should I make?

sweet corn, salsa and pickled hot peppers (mild)

Ive thawed a lobster tail which is a frontrunner to pair, but it doesnt have to 

love sweet corn and i assume it goes well with lobster as they put them in the traditional New England clam bakes (lobster, mussels, crabs, soft-shell clams, and quahogs. though i have never tired a quahog :P )

all of it sounds great :)

damn i can see a LOT of seafood in my future this summer! :D

9 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

love sweet corn and i assume it goes well with lobster as they put them in the traditional New England clam bakes (lobster, mussels, crabs, soft-shell clams, and quahogs. though i have never tired a quahog :P )

all of it sounds great :)

damn i can see a LOT of seafood in my future this summer! :D

me too - cant stop craving all the seafood!  Im on a seafood diet - I see food and I eat it! haha!

youre full of pleasant surprises produce goddess!  I thought these were southern favours and ingredients but you went straight to the yanks!  pretty impressive pallet - I think youre right about the chowder and I hands thought of it.

13 minutes ago, soon said:

me too - cant stop craving all the seafood!  Im on a seafood diet - I see food and I eat it! haha!

youre full of pleasant surprises produce goddess!  I thought these were southern favours and ingredients but you went straight to the yanks!  pretty impressive pallet - I think youre right about the chowder and I hands thought of it.

wait til Bastille Day...i always do a totally French menu :P

chowda sounds good :)

• Like 1

On 6/4/2017 at 2:09 PM, Gracii Guns said:

Cooked Shakshuka for the first time last night. This is the recipe I used http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/shakshouka_74716

I first tried the dish last year at a restaurant and wasn't too impressed, but I love this version, definitely adding it in my regular cooking rota. All the ingredients are cheap, veggie and likely to already be in your cupboards. 

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 19.07.23.png

Shakshuka is one of my favorite go-tos. Tend to make it at least once a month when I'm looking for something simple but hearty. 

• Like 1

despite my summery pantry items coming out, its cold and rainy.  So I went with a wintery comfort dish.

Left over pirogies, reheated in a splash of herbed broth

boiled lobster tail, boiled with 5 cloves in salted water

a thin, buttery, cream béchamel with sour cream, herbed broth, aged white cheddar, parm, cayenne

all swimming together and topped with dried dill and fresh cracked black pepper

This was good.  Never put the cloves in the boil before.  It is so warming.  I love it.  10 minutes after eating, my pallet is oscillating between clove then sour cream, aromatics and lobster, butter and dill to salty heat.

now to go pick the shell for every last morsel

54 minutes ago, soon said:

despite my summery pantry items coming out, its cold and rainy.  So I went with a wintery comfort dish.

Left over pirogies, reheated in a splash of herbed broth

boiled lobster tail, boiled with 5 cloves in salted water

a thin, buttery, cream béchamel with sour cream, herbed broth, aged white cheddar, parm, cayenne

all swimming together and topped with dried dill and fresh cracked black pepper

This was good.  Never put the cloves in the boil before.  It is so warming.  I love it.  10 minutes after eating, my pallet is oscillating between clove then sour cream, aromatics and lobster, butter and dill to salty heat.

now to go pick the shell for every last morsel

sounds so yummy!

13 hours ago, soon said:

I cant even begin to fathom a population of 30 million!  

Thanks for filling me in about the western immigrations.  It kinda sounds like the westerners end up there running restaurants just like how chinese people end up owning restaurants here.  I just didnt realize China allowed such robust immigration.  The beer geek in me is especially into how the Germans brought beer and set up a brewery and thats the same brewery that makes the beer I (part german raised in an era with a huge german population) order my Chinese beer at the Chinese restaurant.  Thats really cool to know!  Makes sense once you say it about the Spainish and Italian influx.

German beer is often marked up a lot here, save for a few affordable brands.  

At one point I thought it was 50 mil. I think that includes the whole province. They say 10 mil chinese immigrants are coming in in the next 10 years. That's why they are going big on everything. Like huge malls or whatever. I went to a bowling alley and it just seemed too big. All these apartment complexes are empty. Beer is a scam. I can't really tell Bud from Suntory or Harbin, that's why craft is being pushed. It's "better". Like wine I can get a 38rmb Tinto Brass or 338rmb bordeaux. Can't tell the diffrence. Although some good wine can be really nice, but I have factor in that I'm an animal and barely care. But the import tax is what kills us. Meanwhile the french are drinking 10 euro red. Bud is or was imported so it was more than Tsingdao which is probably more in the west. 

There's a ton of Czech beer too, which like OG Bud. 

10 million more people - thats incredible!  This is my ignorance on the subject speaking, but is the Shanghai economy more liberalized than other part of China?  It sounds more liberalized but like those empty complexes, are they empty because they are regulated to just be for the upcoming immigration and cant be rented out yet?

Some fancy wine I can appreciate and some i cant tell, but fancy for me is like $40.  And I could easily get 2 Dan Ackroyd Vineyards and two Wayne Gretzky Estate wines for that.   lol factor in that youre an animal!

I only see Tsingdao at restaurants.  but its probably in stores too.  Green bottles.  I dont mind czech beers and sometimes crave them.  Their simple flavours, the ones I ve had.  Turned onto them at a czech wedding where I watched them fuel the intense dances, but beer snobs around here frown on them.

12 hours ago, soon said:

10 million more people - thats incredible!  This is my ignorance on the subject speaking, but is the Shanghai economy more liberalized than other part of China?  It sounds more liberalized but like those empty complexes, are they empty because they are regulated to just be for the upcoming immigration and cant be rented out yet?

Some fancy wine I can appreciate and some i cant tell, but fancy for me is like $40.  And I could easily get 2 Dan Ackroyd Vineyards and two Wayne Gretzky Estate wines for that.   lol factor in that youre an animal!

I only see Tsingdao at restaurants.  but its probably in stores too.  Green bottles.  I dont mind czech beers and sometimes crave them.  Their simple flavours, the ones I ve had.  Turned onto them at a czech wedding where I watched them fuel the intense dances, but beer snobs around here frown on them.

There's about 18 different versions of Tsingdao here. Tsingdao light is 3rmb for 500ml can. There's the classic green bottle and the smaller fancy yellow which restaurants bang you with 297ml. They do amber and black beer too now. Asahi Black is the best though. Some of them have that Heineken chemical quality that gets you mucho wrecked. Light is like a Silver Bullet. Some are a bit methy. Like it's just water and meths. These days I put tequila in beer so I'm not really appreciating the sublties of the piss as much as I used to. 

I think it's combo of preparing and in around 2000 they just went for it and every rich person was building and buying flats. They bought for 60k, trying to sell now for 600k. They have 10 each. So they are just hauling in rents buying ferraris and wearing hip hop clothes in the 7-11. It will end in tears. But the buyers are all completly there yet, the middle class is growing but they are also cautious and used to renting living cheap. There's space to grow and as those flats get older they will be less. Like this building used to be the shit 10 years ago but now it's mid range and more for locals, not luxury. But then what I've noticed is the blocks they built arent good enough for the people who own 10 flats, so they are super luxury stuff along the river. More duplexes with glass staircases, tasteless stuff. But then the low end is getting modernized, so renovated 50 sqm flats are pretty nice. But everything is spreading further out they are now making the old industrial areas the same as the center. You a Starbucks, a McDonalds a KFC and a Hooters on every corner. So I guess these 10 mil will be living in the rubbish stuff now. But they tend to knock them down and build better stuff. There's no shortage of flats so the prices should be cheap but guess what they stick together and won't drop prices. Although on a temporary sometimes. One guy is living in a ghost block for 200 dollars but it won't last. Everyones vacating this building because they building a subway station here. The noise and stuff. So I'm staying to keep the rent down. I don't mind a few cranes or pneumatic drills at 9am if the remt is cheap. 

Edited by wasted

8 hours ago, wasted said:

There's about 18 different versions of Tsingdao here. Tsingdao light is 3rmb for 500ml can. There's the classic green bottle and the smaller fancy yellow which restaurants bang you with 297ml. They do amber and black beer too now. Asahi Black is the best though. Some of them have that Heineken chemical quality that gets you mucho wrecked. Light is like a Silver Bullet. Some are a bit methy. Like it's just water and meths. These days I put tequila in beer so I'm not really appreciating the sublties of the piss as much as I used to. 

I think it's combo of preparing and in around 2000 they just went for it and every rich person was building and buying flats. They bought for 60k, trying to sell now for 600k. They have 10 each. So they are just hauling in rents buying ferraris and wearing hip hop clothes in the 7-11. It will end in tears. But the buyers are all completly there yet, the middle class is growing but they are also cautious and used to renting living cheap. There's space to grow and as those flats get older they will be less. Like this building used to be the shit 10 years ago but now it's mid range and more for locals, not luxury. But then what I've noticed is the blocks they built arent good enough for the people who own 10 flats, so they are super luxury stuff along the river. More duplexes with glass staircases, tasteless stuff. But then the low end is getting modernized, so renovated 50 sqm flats are pretty nice. But everything is spreading further out they are now making the old industrial areas the same as the center. You a Starbucks, a McDonalds a KFC and a Hooters on every corner. So I guess these 10 mil will be living in the rubbish stuff now. But they tend to knock them down and build better stuff. There's no shortage of flats so the prices should be cheap but guess what they stick together and won't drop prices. Although on a temporary sometimes. One guy is living in a ghost block for 200 dollars but it won't last. Everyones vacating this building because they building a subway station here. The noise and stuff. So I'm staying to keep the rent down. I don't mind a few cranes or pneumatic drills at 9am if the remt is cheap. 

Oh, I had no idea there are that many Tsingdao.  I guess they sell the one thats pairs most easily with the food maybe.  You really put tequila in beer?  Thats heroic!

Im surprised that the housing market is deregulated to the extent that gentrification, and the reverse, can happen by market demands.  Learning that my conception of Chinese economy is off.  Maybe in poor rural areas the govt is more involved?  Even in Vancouver here in Canada it looks like they are going to regulate foreign investment and even levy Canadian citizen property investors who own multiple units that they dont occupy.  I thought for sure China would.  Thats really cool that youre staying put to keep price down.  Im next to a major long term construction project and it is allowed to go round the clock although it does slow down over night but starts at 5-6am full scale.  And I aint saving a bit for it.  Just breathing in the carbon and debris.

Also, all of sudden when Im on the forum the pop up adds are all in chinese and are mostly realtors from what I can tell.  All I can figure is this conversation is triggering that.  Which i find super creepy, personally.

5 hours ago, soon said:

Oh, I had no idea there are that many Tsingdao.  I guess they sell the one thats pairs most easily with the food maybe.  You really put tequila in beer?  Thats heroic!

Im surprised that the housing market is deregulated to the extent that gentrification, and the reverse, can happen by market demands.  Learning that my conception of Chinese economy is off.  Maybe in poor rural areas the govt is more involved?  Even in Vancouver here in Canada it looks like they are going to regulate foreign investment and even levy Canadian citizen property investors who own multiple units that they dont occupy.  I thought for sure China would.  Thats really cool that youre staying put to keep price down.  Im next to a major long term construction project and it is allowed to go round the clock although it does slow down over night but starts at 5-6am full scale.  And I aint saving a bit for it.  Just breathing in the carbon and debris.

Also, all of sudden when Im on the forum the pop up adds are all in chinese and are mostly realtors from what I can tell.  All I can figure is this conversation is triggering that.  Which i find super creepy, personally.

yep they have cookies on a lot of stuff you look up online <_<

8 hours ago, soon said:

That is weird but possible, I'm not sure. I can china related pop ups on here. 

Well, I'm no expert, that's why I talk so much! But back when they first started I know they got in on the ground floor. Now I know it's harder for foreigners to own more than one at least recently. What's weird is there's so many so I would think prices would lower? But theres a cabal controlling it. 

I remember trying to buy something for 500k, it's probably now 1 mil. But I remember the mortgage payment would double my rent. But what broke it was the owner wanted me to pay the 50k tax on the sale. So I was out. And he was telling me he bought it for 60k in 2000. So I was basically going to be making him rich and paying 3k a week plus this 50k, not mention deposit or whatever. While rents can be very cheap it seems insane to buy now at 1.5 mil just for 2 bed flat in a good area. I can live in a shithole in the ghetto for free and relax. But newly rich chinese are going all in and moving the relatives in etc. 

31 minutes ago, wasted said:

That is weird but possible, I'm not sure. I can china related pop ups on here. 

Well, I'm no expert, that's why I talk so much! But back when they first started I know they got in on the ground floor. Now I know it's harder for foreigners to own more than one at least recently. What's weird is there's so many so I would think prices would lower? But theres a cabal controlling it. 

I remember trying to buy something for 500k, it's probably now 1 mil. But I remember the mortgage payment would double my rent. But what broke it was the owner wanted me to pay the 50k tax on the sale. So I was out. And he was telling me he bought it for 60k in 2000. So I was basically going to be making him rich and paying 3k a week plus this 50k, not mention deposit or whatever. While rents can be very cheap it seems insane to buy now at 1.5 mil just for 2 bed flat in a good area. I can live in a shithole in the ghetto for free and relax. But newly rich chinese are going all in and moving the relatives in etc. 

yeah not a fan of  Japanese beers but if were to choose one i'd go Tsingto.