The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

A tomato salsa benefits from some acid - vinegar, lemon or lime.  Just sub the tomatoes and include some acid.  Dont add water and dont cook.  But the rest of ingredients would still be perfect.

Since you live in such a cosmopolitan place, do you know of any Latin grocers?  I think you'd find them there.  I grew the ones I used. 

12 hours ago, soon said:

A tomato salsa benefits from some acid - vinegar, lemon or lime.  Just sub the tomatoes and include some acid.  Dont add water and dont cook.  But the rest of ingredients would still be perfect.

Since you live in such a cosmopolitan place, do you know of any Latin grocers?  I think you'd find them there.  I grew the ones I used. 

It's possible there's a underground importer who has this shop with groceries that arent regularly available like parsnips. It'spossible   there's a spanish or brazilian restaurant or something that is selling them. 

I've made salsa before for mexican tequila night. That stuff is all imported so it's expensive, it's cheaper to just order from the restaurant. That's the dilemma. You can order just about anything for 15 dollars. But it's an uncontrolled carb zone. 

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

personally i don't care for tomatillos, they leave a nasty taste in  my mouth IMO <_<

I'll keep my eye out for them. There a lot crazy peppers and chilis here so that's what I use mostly. There's these green tomatoes I've seen too, dark brown too. I think the brand is Chiquita or something. Bit pricey but everything looks clean. I'm eating salad so I take the easy route. I think I just like mayo or the mustard vignette stuff I pour on it though. I will be in ketosis soon. 

8 hours ago, wasted said:

It's possible there's a underground importer who has this shop with groceries that arent regularly available like parsnips. It'spossible   there's a spanish or brazilian restaurant or something that is selling them. 

I've made salsa before for mexican tequila night. That stuff is all imported so it's expensive, it's cheaper to just order from the restaurant. That's the dilemma. You can order just about anything for 15 dollars. But it's an uncontrolled carb zone. 

That is an annoying dilemma for sure.  Hope you get to try some either way

7 hours ago, wasted said:

I'll keep my eye out for them. There a lot crazy peppers and chilis here so that's what I use mostly. There's these green tomatoes I've seen too, dark brown too. I think the brand is Chiquita or something. Bit pricey but everything looks clean. I'm eating salad so I take the easy route. I think I just like mayo or the mustard vignette stuff I pour on it though. I will be in ketosis soon. 

i feel very lucky to have access to most produce. i love jicama in salad. it's coming up on boysenberry season which is the best berry IMO. kiwano ( horned fruit ) is very cool. while i am not a fan of plums or apricots i love pluots which are a hybrid of those fruits ( also called dinosaur eggs. ) i have tried lobster mushrooms butthey were a bit f a letdown plus they cost a fortune.

am dying to make some fried okra and i rarely fry anything but fried okra is home to me. 

there is a produce company called Frieda's Exotic fruit that i could go wild in!

5 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i feel very lucky to have access to most produce. i love jicama in salad. it's coming up on boysenberry season which is the best berry IMO. kiwano ( horned fruit ) is very cool. while i am not a fan of plums or apricots i love pluots which are a hybrid of those fruits ( also called dinosaur eggs. ) i have tried lobster mushrooms butthey were a bit f a letdown plus they cost a fortune.

am dying to make some fried okra and i rarely fry anything but fried okra is home to me. 

there is a produce company called Frieda's Exotic fruit that i could go wild in!

Only things I can think of I can get here that is weird is Dragon fruit, Lychee and Kiwis are more popular here. Is okra star shaped but like a cucumber? You can get that but it's slimey with seeds. 

26 minutes ago, wasted said:

Only things I can think of I can get here that is weird is Dragon fruit, Lychee and Kiwis are more popular here. Is okra star shaped but like a cucumber? You can get that but it's slimey with seeds. 

this is okra. you cut it in medium size slice the roll it in cornmeal ( or a mixture of flour and okra.) i fine okra is slimy in dishes like jambalaya so i don't just it in mine. i want to try a fresh lycee! they sound and look so good. have you ever tried durian? it is supposed to have the most ile but tasts delicious...

38 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

this is okra. you cut it in medium size slice the roll it in cornmeal ( or a mixture of flour and okra.) i fine okra is slimy in dishes like jambalaya so i don't just it in mine. i want to try a fresh lycee! they sound and look so good. have you ever tried durian? it is supposed to have the most ile but tasts delicious...

Yes that's what's around in the restaurants. Sometimes it's crispy. Lychee comes in some kind of spiky peel and has a stone in it. So it's a hassle to eat. Pomelo is like a big grapefruit type thing with a huge peel. Mango is pretty popular. Watermelons too. They inject them with sugar. And paint apples red. Fruit scams are rampant. 

7 minutes ago, wasted said:

Yes that's what's around in the restaurants. Sometimes it's crispy. Lychee comes in some kind of spiky peel and has a stone in it. So it's a hassle to eat. Pomelo is like a big grapefruit type thing with a huge peel. Mango is pretty popular. Watermelons too. They inject them with sugar. And paint apples red. Fruit scams are rampant. 

yeah that's why i fry them.i  have had pomelo, don't care for it. fresh coconut is a pain to get the flesh out of,. they paint watermelon????? why?? i  know all about produce scam...it's horrible! :max:

My neighbour just brought me some soup.  I love it and she brings some every now and then.  I dont know what she does - its too good!   

I got pretty soaked by accident at the garden at sundown and had an unshakeable chill and then warm soup should up, which ws very nice.

Its just carrot and potato.  I can tell theres chicken broth... but theres something to it, is it a herb or spice, is it a vegetable?  Something I cant place that makes it so delicious.

I kinda love the not knowing and trying to figure it out and just being blown away by it.

Id given her some rosemary the other day and she used it on pizza, which id never seen before.  It smelled delicious.

On 21 June 2017 at 8:23 AM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yeah that's why i fry them.i  have had pomelo, don't care for it. fresh coconut is a pain to get the flesh out of,. they paint watermelon????? why?? i  know all about produce scam...it's horrible! :max:

They paint apples to look redder. They inject watermelons with sugar, well sugary water. I don't really eat fruit. But there's a fruit shop on every corner.

Fruit is subjective. I mean it's untrustworthy, a coke is a coke, an apple can be terrible. 

I like canned fruit though. Pineapple hoops fried with chicken. Edgy high carb danger. 

6 hours ago, wasted said:

They paint apples to look redder. They inject watermelons with sugar, well sugary water. I don't really eat fruit. But there's a fruit shop on every corner.

Fruit is subjective. I mean it's untrustworthy, a coke is a coke, an apple can be terrible. 

I like canned fruit though. Pineapple hoops fried with chicken. Edgy high carb danger. 

That dish sounds worth it. 

Here someone has genetically modified apples to not show sign of aging.  But it doesnt actually stop the impacts of much of the aging; it still becomes oxidized but doesnt turn colour.  And oxidization reduces the nutrient count considerably.  They claim the consumers were wasting apples that had the slightest imperfection in colour so this invention is for sustainability, but I have my doubts.  Like what youre saying here, fruit is a strange industry.

I dont know if its been okayed for sale yet.

Food is gross to learn about.  In Canada and US - probably elsewhere - imported food is irradiated.  Now, I dont use a micro wave, so Im sure irradiating food doesn't sound as bad to some people.  A concern would not only be about the radiation, but also how many nutrients and beneficial bacteria are lost to this.  

Or how carton orange juice is pasteurized and then stored in oxygen free tanks for years and looses flavour so is flavoured with a concentrate and other processed orange by product and then sold.  And sometimes fortified with synthetic versions of the nutrients lost to pasteurization. Or worse yet, sometimes nutrients not replaced. 

5 hours ago, soon said:

That dish sounds worth it. 

Here someone has genetically modified apples to not show sign of aging.  But it doesnt actually stop the impacts of much of the aging; it still becomes oxidized but doesnt turn colour.  And oxidization reduces the nutrient count considerably.  They claim the consumers were wasting apples that had the slightest imperfection in colour so this invention is for sustainability, but I have my doubts.  Like what youre saying here, fruit is a strange industry.

I dont know if its been okayed for sale yet.

Food is gross to learn about.  In Canada and US - probably elsewhere - imported food is irradiated.  Now, I dont use a micro wave, so Im sure irradiating food doesn't sound as bad to some people.  A concern would not only be about the radiation, but also how many nutrients and beneficial bacteria are lost to this.  

Or how carton orange juice is pasteurized and then stored in oxygen free tanks for years and looses flavour so is flavoured with a concentrate and other processed orange by product and then sold.  And sometimes fortified with synthetic versions of the nutrients lost to pasteurization. Or worse yet, sometimes nutrients not replaced. 

Definitely living in a different more humid climate made me appreciate artificial preservitives. In the uk you can leave milk, butter, cheese anything out. But once its 40 degrees and 90% humidity you need to blast everything with radioactivity. Like the microwave blasts fried rice pretty well. Before that I was getting food poisoning on a regular basis. But yeah its worrying like that guy who put it up on a shelf and after a year he'd microwaved his brain. It is more barbaric here, like they just hang ducks and chickens up outside the restaurant. Look dead birds that we cooked. There's some crazy cheap roast chickens, like a dollar, must have come from one of those chicken prisons. 

Edited by wasted

18 hours ago, wasted said:

Definitely living in a different more humid climate made me appreciate artificial preservitives. In the uk you can leave milk, butter, cheese anything out. But once its 40 degrees and 90% humidity you need to blast everything with radioactivity. Like the microwave blasts fried rice pretty well. Before that I was getting food poisoning on a regular basis. But yeah its worrying like that guy who put it up on a shelf and after a year he'd microwaved his brain. It is more barbaric here, like they just hang ducks and chickens up outside the restaurant. Look dead birds that we cooked. There's some crazy cheap roast chickens, like a dollar, must have come from one of those chicken prisons. 

Theres a balance to be struck for sure.  Also about the gut flora, the biome as its called more offers recently, that helps us be in harmony with the natural conditions around us and to fight of bad bacteria that is zapped off by irradiation.  The natural airborne yeasts should be familiar to the stomach.

I never heard about the guy accidentally microwaving brain!!!  gross!!!

Is see the hanging carcasses in China town here and in humidity that is a unique and unforgettable odour.   As of now it looks very a appealing to see a smoked rabbit hanging in window, I must admit.

My practice of making and cube freezing any dish that can be stored that way is resulting in some wonderful fusion dishes.  I haven't labeled them well enough.

So, for nutritional balance Ill pick a variety of colours.  An orange cube, a white one, a green one, a brown one.  These being sweet potato, cauliflower, spinach and black bean southwestern soup.

But low and behold Sweet potato mash was infused with tarragon, cauliflower is a nutmeg forward veloute, spinach is a prepared for palak panner and has curry, and southwestern has chilli and oregano.

So my mash is all theses flavors and is paired with roast beef frozen is a sauce or gravy that I forget.  In this case horseradish, mustard and apple cider vinegar pan gravy.

I wouldn't proudly serve these combos to any one, but its actually kinda fun to have pallete surprised.

4 hours ago, soon said:

Theres a balance to be struck for sure.  Also about the gut flora, the biome as its called more offers recently, that helps us be in harmony with the natural conditions around us and to fight of bad bacteria that is zapped off by irradiation.  The natural airborne yeasts should be familiar to the stomach.

I never heard about the guy accidentally microwaving brain!!!  gross!!!

Is see the hanging carcasses in China town here and in humidity that is a unique and unforgettable odour.   As of now it looks very a appealing to see a smoked rabbit hanging in window, I must admit.

Indefinitely see a duck hanging and just think I want to eat it. Others are horrified. 

Like yogurt, peoplevare yogurt crazy here. No so much ice cream or cheese or milk but yogurt. Bio yogurt. Maybe no healthcare makes them try to be healthy. 

Theres variations on that story. Sometimes its microwave his stomache. But basically a cheap broken microwave is cooking the person. So I never stand in front of it as it radiates the water cells. 

22 minutes ago, wasted said:

Indefinitely see a duck hanging and just think I want to eat it. Others are horrified. 

Like yogurt, peoplevare yogurt crazy here. No so much ice cream or cheese or milk but yogurt. Bio yogurt. Maybe no healthcare makes them try to be healthy. 

Theres variations on that story. Sometimes its microwave his stomache. But basically a cheap broken microwave is cooking the person. So I never stand in front of it as it radiates the water cells. 

For me it was one of my first jobs in high school.  I noticed a tag on the the micro wave with dates and initials.  I asked and was told that legally the employer has to have them inspected regularly to make sure they arent leaking.  Id bought mine used and knew I wasnt gonna pay for inspections, so i tapped out on micro waves.  I realize its more of a picadillo but I feel better this way.  I try and stand outta the way myself if Im around one.

Edited by soon
spelling

7 minutes ago, soon said:

For me it was one of my first jobs in high school.  I noticed a tag on the the micro wave with dates and initials.  I asked and was told that legally the employer has to have them inspected regularly to make sure they arent leaking.  Id bought mine used and new I wasnt gonna pay for inspections, so i tapped out on micro waves.  I realize its more of a picadillo but I feel better this way.  I try and stand outta the way myself if Im around one.

I got rid of mine because the kitchen is too small and I have a toaster oven which is more useful. I ised the microwave to reheat coffee or leftovers but I learned how to do it in a pan, sort of steaming it. 

13 minutes ago, wasted said:

I got rid of mine because the kitchen is too small and I have a toaster oven which is more useful. I ised the microwave to reheat coffee or leftovers but I learned how to do it in a pan, sort of steaming it. 

as people who enjoy cooking, isn't is funner to hold the pan wheel you reheat and give it a shake, too?  Probably tastes better reheated that way.  Toaster oven are so handy!

I reheat a lot of leftovers on a little camp stove with nothing more than a beeswax votive candle.  They burn 18 hours total and reheat stuff in 5-10 minutes, using a heavy bottomed pot or cast iron.  They clean the air as they burn and - though neither hydro nor candle is especially expensive for 5-10 minutes- saves me some money over time in theory.  Its mostly because i find it interesting and it gives me a working sense of these types of systems and techniques that I hope to build on.  Ill be the one serving pancakes during the next black out.

1 hour ago, soon said:

as people who enjoy cooking, isn't is funner to hold the pan wheel you reheat and give it a shake, too?  Probably tastes better reheated that way.  Toaster oven are so handy!

I reheat a lot of leftovers on a little camp stove with nothing more than a beeswax votive candle.  They burn 18 hours total and reheat stuff in 5-10 minutes, using a heavy bottomed pot or cast iron.  They clean the air as they burn and - though neither hydro nor candle is especially expensive for 5-10 minutes- saves me some money over time in theory.  Its mostly because i find it interesting and it gives me a working sense of these types of systems and techniques that I hope to build on.  Ill be the one serving pancakes during the next black out.

I can see that happening on the way down. Like no kitchen but a sort of hot plate in a studio apartment. It's a small step from open kitchen to hot plate on the coffee table. I have about 4 ways to cook but then I just order a kebab. Some people just have a microwave. Instant noodles in a microwave by night, throw iceberg lettuce and fish balls into it. Then conveinence store lunch. Nasa living. 

1 hour ago, wasted said:

I can see that happening on the way down. Like no kitchen but a sort of hot plate in a studio apartment. It's a small step from open kitchen to hot plate on the coffee table. I have about 4 ways to cook but then I just order a kebab. Some people just have a microwave. Instant noodles in a microwave by night, throw iceberg lettuce and fish balls into it. Then conveinence store lunch. Nasa living. 

I ordered a breakfast sandwich at convenience store at bus terminal.  It was premade and wrapped in plastic wrap.  They put it in microwave in the plastic wrap.  That was more then I could take.

That one meal you talked about recently made me think it would be nice to cook it on a hot plate, sitting around coffee table with someone.  Forget what its called, but it has udon noodles 

Edited by soon

1 hour ago, soon said:

I ordered a breakfast sandwich at convenience store at bus terminal.  It was premade and wrapped in plastic wrap.  They put it in microwave in the plastic wrap.  That was more then I could take.

That one meal you talked about recently made me think it would be nice to cook it on a hot plate, sitting around coffee table with someone.  Forget what its called, but it has udon noodles 

Sukiyaki could be done on a griddle hot plate. Then put in noodles. They have it in curried sauce too. 

Like terriyaki or korean barbq with the hot plates built into the table. 

I have hot pot set. With hot plate and metal bowl, you put boiling spicy water. Throw in thin slices of beef, pork etc, vegetables. There's mongolian hot pots. Sesame sauce with chilis and garlic or that XO sauce, satay. 

That's what you go on the run with really.