The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

You need to make both a Hollandaise and a Béarnaise (which is its derivative) over a Bain-marie on a low-medium heat and whisk-whisk-whisk or you end up with fancy scrambled eggs. Make it the last thing you do - have everything plated up infact.

5 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Ingredients

3  large eggs

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/2 cup firm butter 

In 1 1/2-quart saucepan, vigorously stir egg yolks and lemon juice with wire whisk. Add 1/4 cup of the butter. Heat over very low heat, stirring constantly with wire whisk, until butter is melted.

Add remaining 1/4 cup butter. Continue stirring vigorously until butter is melted and sauce is thickened. (Be sure butter melts slowly so eggs have time to cook and thicken sauce without curdling.) If the sauce curdles (mixture begins to separate), add about 1 tablespoon boiling water and beat vigorously with wire whisk or hand beater until it's smooth.

Serve immediately. Store covered in refrigerator. To serve refrigerated sauce, reheat over very low heat and stir in a small amount of water.

there you go! :)

Seems easy, wonder it so expensive at brunch. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I don't think I've ever been for brunch.Is it even a thing in England?

Well in Shanghai, maybe it's an Anerican thing? It's always top of the menu, same price as a full english breakfast. 

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You need to make both a Hollandaise and a Béarnaise (which is its derivative) over a Bain-marie on a low-medium heat and whisk-whisk-whisk or you end up with fancy scrambled eggs. Make it the last thing you do - have everything plated up infact.

i read a cookbook by my favorite food writer Laurie Colwin ( bless her soul ) and she said the best scrambled eggs where made by a boyfriend, cooked over  double boiler. the bf added just a splash of cream and stirred them constantly for 45 minutes. she said they were the BEST eggs ever but she never did make them that way herself! many chefs will test the ability of  of a cook wanting employment by making him/her make eggs. making perfect eggs is an art :)

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

Healthy and Simple Salad Dressing

Ingredients:

Fresh basil, parsley, cilantro (or whatever herbs you like), chopped

Dried oregano, powdered (in mortar and pestle or grinder)

Yogurt 

Olive oil

Flax oil  (just a lil bit)

Apple cider vinegar 

Optional: Powdered healthy stuff such as flax, hemp, ashwaghanda, ginseng, sun choke, maca (just a bit)

Directions:

The two oils combine for 1:1 with vinegar.  The rest at your whim.  Stir it all up.  Chill in fridge briefly. Stir before enjoying.

Other:

I would've added white pepper if i had any.  I find black pepper and basil interrupt one another.  I didnt feel need for salt but if desired, use parmesan if possible I think.

Since you've got the herb and olive oil flavour that is common in croutons already in play, can skip the croutons and add nuts for crunch, further increasing the nutritional value of the salad.

32 minutes ago, soon said:

Healthy and Simple Salad Dressing

Ingredients:

Fresh basil, parsley, cilantro (or whatever herbs you like), chopped

Dried oregano, powdered (in mortar and pestle or grinder)

Yogurt 

Olive oil

Flax oil  (just a lil bit)

Apple cider vinegar 

Optional: Powdered healthy stuff such as flax, hemp, ashwaghanda, ginseng, sun choke, maca (just a bit)

Directions:

The two oils combine for 1:1 with vinegar.  The rest at your whim.  Stir it all up.  Chill in fridge briefly. Stir before enjoying.

Other:

I would've added white pepper if i had any.  I find black pepper and basil interrupt one another.  I didnt feel need for salt but if desired, use parmesan if possible I think.

Since you've got the herb and olive oil flavour that is common in croutons already in play, can skip the croutons and add nuts for crunch, further increasing the nutritional value of the salad.

sounds great! also if you have an abundance of basil you can make a very simple caprese salad! slices of mozzarella.tomatoes and basil!caprese_salad.png 

just drizzle a basil dressing or vinagrette over it!

23 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

sounds great! also if you have an abundance of basil you can make a very simple caprese salad! slices of mozzarella.tomatoes and basil!caprese_salad.png 

just drizzle a basil dressing or vinagrette over it!

I love caprese!  Such a simple recipe, but oh so good.

One thing that confuses me is: why are these same toppings called margarita on a pizza, but caprese almost everywhere else?

Just now, soon said:

I love caprese!  Such a simple recipe, but oh so good.

One thing that confuses me is: why are these same toppings called margarita on a pizza, but caprese almost everywhere else?

maybe because in the salad they are raw but on pizza and such other dishes they are cooked? idk....wild guess??? i love to julienne the basil and just toss them in a green summer salad! :)

24 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

maybe because in the salad they are raw but on pizza and such other dishes they are cooked? idk....wild guess??? i love to julienne the basil and just toss them in a green summer salad! :)

Thats a good guess!  Im sold.

Me too with the salad.  Sometimes its the 'ooh, what is that?' in a salad  

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

oh yeah! like some sliced strawberries or raspberries...many things can a pop to a salad :)

Strawberry just wound down and raspberries are on the way!  Subsequently, strawberries and basil is a favourite combo of mine.  Hoping to make a jam of it

Just now, soon said:

Strawberry just wound down and raspberries are on the way!  Subsequently, strawberries and basil is a favourite combo of mine.  Hoping to make a jam of it

mmmmmmm i adore raspberries! but i really want fresh boysenberires....i think Knott's Berries buys them all up, grrrrrrrrr :P

Big cooking day.  Just finished making some basil/oregano marinara.   Doing some thyme mushroom later (thanks again Queen AFR, Produce Goddess for thyme suggestion - I love it!).  Ive got yogurt straining in bags, lemon balm and chamomile teas cold brewing, gonna make more pop wth whey, gonna add herbs to yogurt cheese; its a mad house!!

And I'm excited to free style a favour combo I've never tried but am thinking will be nice; rosemary cauliflower cheese sauce.  Im thinking it'll go on noodles as a side along with garden salad and a good Italian sausage.

Saute chopped cauliflower in butter with rosemary sprigs until tender, hit it with a splash of an as yet undetermined vinegar.  Remove rosemary, puree and set aside.  Make béchamel.  Add shredded aged cheddar and cauliflower puree.  Adjust milk and cheese as needed.

Make sense?  Anything I should do differently?  Is this already a thing and I just didnt know?

I'll make some Spagehtti Carbonara today, easy to make, quick and tasty.

This is the recipe I use:

Ingredients

• 1 pound spaghetti
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 8 slices bacon, diced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • Add all ingredients to list

Directions

1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti pasta until al dente. Drain well. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile in a large skillet, cook chopped bacon until slightly crisp; remove and drain onto paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon fat; add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and heat in reused large skillet. Add chopped onion, and cook over medium heat until onion is translucent. Add minced garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Add wine if desired; cook one more minute.
  3. Return cooked bacon to pan; add cooked and drained spaghetti. Toss to coat and heat through, adding more olive oil if it seems dry or is sticking together. Add beaten eggs and cook, tossing constantly with tongs or large fork until eggs are barely set. Quickly add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and toss again. Add salt and pepper to taste (remember that bacon and Parmesan are very salty).
  4. Serve immediately with chopped parsley sprinkled on top, and extra Parmesan cheese at table.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2017 at 10:18 AM, Zurimor said:

I'll make some Spagehtti Carbonara today, easy to make, quick and tasty.

This is the recipe I use:

Ingredients

• 1 pound spaghetti
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 8 slices bacon, diced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • Add all ingredients to list

Directions

1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti pasta until al dente. Drain well. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile in a large skillet, cook chopped bacon until slightly crisp; remove and drain onto paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon fat; add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and heat in reused large skillet. Add chopped onion, and cook over medium heat until onion is translucent. Add minced garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Add wine if desired; cook one more minute.
  3. Return cooked bacon to pan; add cooked and drained spaghetti. Toss to coat and heat through, adding more olive oil if it seems dry or is sticking together. Add beaten eggs and cook, tossing constantly with tongs or large fork until eggs are barely set. Quickly add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and toss again. Add salt and pepper to taste (remember that bacon and Parmesan are very salty).
  4. Serve immediately with chopped parsley sprinkled on top, and extra Parmesan cheese at table.

oh i love that! so yummy :D thanks for the recipe, i must make this!

Bad news: garden is incredibly weedy.

Good news: 95% edible, delicious and nutritious weeds

Just enjoyed purslane and lambs quarter along with swiss chard, nasturtium leaf, oregano, parsley and basil in an egg sandwich on butter toasted hamburger bun with strained yogurt (taste and texture of cream cheese, but probiotic).  It was delicious.

Purslane is incredibly easy to identify and lambs quarter is easy as well.  

Lazily combining ingredients and directions :)

Butter in.  med low heat.  

press in inside of buns. and transfer to preheated oven.  done to your desired toastiness 

more butter

2 eggs in

milk in

stir and shake

diced greens in

fold, or press and pray to form patty

buns out, let cool, slather on cheese, both sides

lightly salt eggs and remove from heat

stack it up

• Like 1

At my herb garden, gathering some stuff.  A new comer approaches and, with no English, gestures "whats that?"  and "can I eat it?"

I hand over a leaf of genovese basil fresh from the plant - a real hot one this year.  He eats it and smiles in enjoyment.  But a second later the heat snuck up on him and he had the most priceless expression!  hahaha!