The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

Mod edit: Have merged this thread with the comfort foods one. Here is @Dan H.'s intro:

"So I guess most people in the world dont sustain themselves on Taco Bell and ice cream like me, and in fact they cook their own food.

So how many chefs we got here on MyGNR? Whats your signature dish? What kinds of food do you cook? Do you create your own recipes.

Share with me your best recipes and pics of your home cooked food, fatties."

-----------------

when @Gracii Guns started her interior decorating thread it sparked an idea, home and hearth. and then i thought it might be fun to start a thread about comfort foods. this is the perfect time of year for me as soups and stews and such are so comforting in the colder weather. i thought we could name some of our favorite ones, share some recipes and things like that. the guys are welcome too, i know many men are into cooking these days!

anyway, i will start off with the dish i have made for Halloween for at least the last 10 years. i don't have a recipe but i have some tips. i used shredded beef in mine and i make it in my slow cooker. shredded beef is so much tastier than hamburger in chili IMO. i also use several kinds of chilis to layer the flavor. i use cayenne, New Mexico ground chili, and those chilis in adobo that come in the can...one or two and about a tablespoon or so of the sauce they are packed in. i also use fresh garlic, cumin, sea salt and a few twists of fresh ground pepper. i use a chuck roast for the beef and cook it in the slow cooker til it is tender enough to shred ( i use two forks to shred it. ) my cooker is pretty old so i cook it on high for an hour then go down to low for like 6 hours. if yours cooks faster just let it cook until the beef feels really tender. and then i add 2 cans of pinto beans ( some people think adding beans is a no-no but i have made it both with and without and my people prefer it with.)

then to serve i offer toppings. chopped onions, shredded cheese ( i use hot pepper jack ) sour cream and because i'm from Texas i offer Fritos too. but a nice homemade corn bread is good as well.

anyway, i hope some of you will share your comfort food faves, maybe recipes, whatever! let's have fun with it :)

Edited by Gracii Guns
Merging threads
  • Like 4

We have a food thread already, but since Anthing Goes isn't particularly busy at the moment, I won't merge threads.

I also love chilli, always searching for the perfect recipe. Chilli's a good one for a cheap eat, or you can upgrade the beef to something really tasty and more expensive. I once put bacon in a chilli and it ruined it.

I've not kept my love of cake and biscuits a secret here, mostly baking my own these days.

I also occasionally enjoy a scotch egg, but don't tell anyone. *blushes*

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

We have a food thread already, but since Anthing Goes isn't particularly busy at the moment, I won't merge threads.

I also love chilli, always searching for the perfect recipe. Chilli's a good one for a cheap eat, or you can upgrade the beef to something really tasty and more expensive. I once put bacon in a chilli and it ruined it.

I've not kept my love of cake and biscuits a secret here, mostly baking my own these days.

I also occasionally enjoy a scotch egg, but don't tell anyone. *blushes*

thanks @Gracii Guns ! 

scotch eggs are boiled eggs wrapped in sausage and then breaded and deep fried or no? i have seen pics but never had one :)

good thing you said that about bacon ruining chili, i have thought a times about adding it!

• Like 1

The bacon I did add was super smokey, it really wasn't the type you should add to other flavours. Bacon doesn't complement the beef in a chilli. Too sweet and too salty. 

Yes, you're right about a scotch egg. They always seem like a better idea than they are, but delis can do really nice handmade ones.

• Like 1

I'm making chilli tonight, it's got chopped up fresh chillis in it as well as a load of chilli powder. I'm dying from a rotten cold and can't really taste anything, so hoping I will be able to taste this :lol:

My ultimate comfort food is roast beef dinner, with roast onions and potatoes and Yorkshire pudding and loads of homemade gravy. I'll only have peas and broccoli on mine, because I don't like many vegetables. 

Love homemade lasagne too, with garlic bread. Don't have it very often cos I have to stick to a strict diet, otherwise I put weight on like mad. :( 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I'm making chilli tonight, it's got chopped up fresh chillis in it as well as a load of chilli powder. I'm dying from a rotten cold and can't really taste anything, so hoping I will be able to taste this :lol:

My ultimate comfort food is roast beef dinner, with roast onions and potatoes and Yorkshire pudding and loads of homemade gravy. I'll only have peas and broccoli on mine, because I don't like many vegetables. 

Love homemade lasagne too, with garlic bread. Don't have it very often cos I have to stick to a strict diet, otherwise I put weight on like mad. :( 

well at the least it should clear your nose for a bit! your chili sounds yummy. i try to avoid fresh chilis cos i always forget and rub my eyes and get the chili oil in them....ow! :P

mmmm i love roast beef. at Christmas i always make a prime rib roast and i use a special rub i was given by a chef i knew when i was in produce sales.

i adore lasagne! i also rarely have it partly because of your reason, partly because it costs so much cos i use tons of mozzarella and real parmesan ( no wood shavings thank you very much :D )

i think the next thing i am making comforty will be homemade soup. we had a guy who had a small deli type restaurant when i lived in Cali and we called him the soup nazi cos he made the best soups. this is going to sound weird but one of my all time favorites was his carrot soup! it's delicious and very rich made w/homemade chicken broth and bacon and a few potatoes :)

• Like 1

@AxlsFavoriteRose chilli in the eye is definitely ouchie. My OH once got a birds eye chilli seed in his eye :lol: he was running round screaming and I was trying to pin him down and pour milk into his eye lol. Now he gets me to chop up the chillis for him (must be OK for me to get chilli in my eye :lol:)

We are just about at my favourite time of year for comfort food. I love bonfire night, get a bonfire  going and have bonfire toffee, hot dogs with onions and chilli and baked potatoes, ace! I've already started collecting fireworks for this year, last year we got a rocket that set loads of car alarms off and a Catherine wheel that spun off the fence and set fire to it haha! 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders

I've actually made Olde El Paso tacos on my birthday and treated me and my slow sister to it, even though she's older, she really is like a big kid/teenager sometimes... bless, That was cool, and it being my birthday, I enjoyed it and chose to make tacos from Tesco. (around the corner here).

Erm...

Anything though, ice cream and Cadburys and alcohol are my comfort go to if ever in need of a pickmeup through food and drink when Sushi just can't seem to do it. 

Edited by Snake-Pit
  • Like 1

Old El Paso taco's give me indigestion like you wouldn't believe

i do really enjoy Mexican food though. i love going to a Mexican restaurant around my way and getting Steak & Shrimp quesadillas. unfortunately i don't do it much anymore because they have raised the price so much. they used to be like $3 now they are $7 a piece or 2 (which i get cause 1 isn't shit) is $11 not counting a drink...so yeah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snake-Pit said:

I've actually made Olde El Paso tacos on my birthday and treated me and my slow sister to it, even though she's older, she really is like a big kid/teenager sometimes... bless, That was cool, and it being my birthday, I enjoyed it and chose to make tacos from Tesco. (around the corner here).

Erm...

Anything though, ice cream and Cadburys and alcohol are my comfort go to if ever in need of a pickmeup through food and drink when Sushi just can't seem to do it. 

that's so sweet you made her tacos :)

mmmm sushi. i used to go to this place in Sacramento that had great sushi and i tried it all, eel, octopus, if they had it i'd eat it. i was wary of sushi places here when i first moved here but now with the Cali invasion i have heard there are some very good places. only thing is i have no friends here who EAT sushi and i'd feel weird going by myself :lol:

So I guess most people in the world dont sustain themselves on Taco Bell and ice cream like me, and in fact they cook their own food.

So how many chefs we got here on MyGNR? Whats your signature dish? What kinds of food do you cook? Do you create your own recipes.

Share with me your best recipes and pics of your home cooked food, fatties.

I actually make some pretty sick Cajun food when I'm not being lazy, and I have a dope crawfish etouffee recipe that I'll share once I find my notebook

Edited by Dan H.

Japanese and Chinese are my specialties: Salmon Teriyaki is my favourite. I'll think about specific recipes later but here is a simple one I know from memory,

Chinese Tomato Eggflower Soup.

- have your homemade stock bubbling away in a big pot on medium heat

- chuck in a tin of tomato

- finely dice the white of a spring onion/scallion (save green) and chuck that in

- add 2-3 tablespoons of light soy sauce

Cook for about 15 mins, meanwhile whisking up an egg in a jug (with a sprout).

Chopstick at the read?

- Slowly pour the egg into the soup while swirling the chopstick around (I make '8s' with the chopstick).

Remove from heat. Garnish with the finely diced green of spring onions (that you saved from earlier).

• Like 1

Old family recipe for spaghetti bolognese.

(Adding mushrooms to this turns this into milanese)..

Boil/defat minced beef, rinse off fat; Take defatted beef mince and place into a big pot, fill with water, add tomato puree, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, a crushed garlic clove, oregano, splash of milk, beef stock/oxo cube - add the tiniest bit of peanut butter to infuse the flavours, let it all cook.

My father used to make his own spaghetti ... I don't know how to this, so I cheat and use store bought.

Boil spaghetti, serve with parmesan cheese;

Only family recipe I ever cared to learn.

Edited by Snake-Pit

On 10/20/2016 at 9:00 AM, -W.A.R- said:

Old El Paso taco's give me indigestion like you wouldn't believe

i do really enjoy Mexican food though. i love going to a Mexican restaurant around my way and getting Steak & Shrimp quesadillas. unfortunately i don't do it much anymore because they have raised the price so much. they used to be like $3 now they are $7 a piece or 2 (which i get cause 1 isn't shit) is $11 not counting a drink...so yeah.

i only use the Old El Paso shells...i make my own taco meat :)

i love Mexican food but here in Reno most restaurants suck. there is one hole in the wall place that makes killer chile rellenos.

last time i was back in Texas i went to this place called Terrazza's and it had killer Mexican food! i came home and recreated their enchiladas and they came out perfect.

by the way, anyone who wants to leave a recipe or ask for one is more than welcome :)

Swiss Steak:

-Prep 2 packs of stew beef, cut as much fat as possible (it makes the sauce oilier)
-brown the lightly peppered meat, place in medium sized pot.
-coat in chili powder, mix
-add garlic [to taste] and one chopped onion, mix
-add 2 cans of mushroom soup, mix
-use soup cans, add 1 3/4 cans of water, mix
-cook in oven at 300 degrees for 3-3 1/2 hours
serves best over rice but broad egg noodles work well too.

^that's pretty much the only meal I make that took me a few tries to master (because my mom taught me the recipe and I tweaked the ratios). Sorry I don't have actual measurements or anything, always been one to just eyeball the ingredients in about any food I make, so just don't add an overly thick layer of chili powder :lol: Most of my other meals I cook are pretty simple; breakfast hash, steak and pan fries, quesadillas, maybe stir fry every now and then...

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

ok so here is a recipe for a super good dark chocolate cake which is pretty easy to make. i am not a baker by any means but even i can make this!

Deep Dark Chocolate Cake

1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt salt

3/4 cup cocoa ( like Hershey's or something similar )

1 cup milk

2 teaspoons real vanilla extract

2 cups sugar

1 cup boiling water

2 eggs

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 and 3/4 cups flour

Preheat oven to 350 degress. Grease an a 13 x 9 by 2 inch pan. stir together baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa and flour in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, beat it in mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water and mix. Pour batter in prepared pan and bake 

35-40 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.

and voila! an easy and delicious homemade chocolate cake. :) enjoy!

• Like 1

Take minced beef, mix with 1 egg (like with your hands, like, really get in there), shape them into patties and put them to one side or in your fridge ready to be grilled.., then grill them, making sure to flip them so they get cooked on both sides evenly. If you haven't got a grill, you can use an oven tray I guess and put them into an oven, just make sure to grease that oven tray a little first and still remember to flip them in the oven. You don't want to use too much egg, just 1 egg should be enough for 500mg - 1000mg of minced beef because too much egg causes your patties to break apart when they're cooking in the oven or on the grill.

.. Go to a butcher, choose a cut of beef yourself, ask for it to be minced in front of you (if you still fear horse meat in supermarket minced beef).

It's the only way to be sure of what's in your burger, just make it yourself...

100% beef burgers. 

Edited by Snake-Pit

sounds great! i have a recipe i've been using for years that came from something i don't know the name of. i guess it was kind of like a recipe ATM machine, you looked through the options then after you made your choice it spit out a card with the recipe on it! :lol: the only thing i change is i leave out the orange peel it calls for, orange peel is way too bitter and strong for my taste :)

I am a homemade pizza junkie. My dad has actually been to Italy, and sampled their pizza, and said I am at least as good as what he had there. I have tried to master every style; deep dish, Neapolitan, parlor style (Pizza Hut thin, Shakey's cracker crust) stuffed crust, Stromboli. I like pizza-ish products.

• Like 1

that's so cool! i love pizza but try and limit myself to a few slices every 6 months or so!

i make something like a pizza pasta. i got the idea from the movie Seems Like Old Times where they all keep talking about "Aurora's Chicken Pepperoni". i made it thinking of what things were in a pepperoni pizza minus the crust and adding chicken. i buy a large package of pepperoni and chop half into dice, the rest i leave whole. in a dutch oven i brown the whole slices in about 2 tablespoons hot olive oil, when it is crispy i take it out and set it aside. then using the pepperoni flavored oil i brown the remaining pepperoni and about 3 chopped cloves of garlic. be careful as the garlic can burn very quickly. i lightly brown the pepperoni and garlic then scoop them out and set them aside. then i add about 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs and let them brown in that yummy pepperoni oil. then i add a large can of tomato sauce and a small can of tomato paste ( i use Hunt's because they don't use chemicals to peel their tomato products ). i add back the chopped pepperoni and garlic mixture and i cook it on low for about 25-30 minutes. near the end i add a good amount of julienned fresh basil and let it cook for

a minute or 2.

while the sauce is cooking i bring a large stockpot of water to boil and make my pasta ( i use spaghetti. ) when the water is at a full boil i add about half a 1 lb package of spaghetti. here'e a great tip i learned. after i add the pasta and get it stirred down so the water completely covers it i immediately put t he lid on the pot and turn the heat off. after about 10 minutes or so it's done. makes it easier for me!

when the pasta is done and drained i add it to the pepperoni chicken mixture tossing it to make sure the pasta totally mixes into the sauce.

then i pour it into a large rectangular pan and add to the top of the mixture 16 ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese and about 8 ounces of parmesan cheese ( i grate mine by hand as there has been allegations that some of the pre shredded cheese has wood pulp in it. ) 

then i put it into a 400 degree preheated oven until the cheese is melted. the last few minutes i add the whole browned pepperoni scattering it on top like you would on a pizza.

since the first time i have made this anytime i have people over to eat they demand i make this!

mangia!

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1