The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

On 4/29/2017 at 8:04 AM, soon said:

haven't tried this, but there was some conversation about maple syrup/butter/pecan pie recently.

heres a recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/great-canadian-cookbook/recipe/jen-scotts-butter-tarts/16518/

sounds great but by my pecan pie standards i don't know if this would make it for me...not enough pecans! i forgot i actually did make a pecan pie with maple syrup ( not real ) many years ago! but the recipe is lost cos my poor very old pc i had way back in the day died and i had it saved in my favorites :( but this sounds very good :)

11 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

sounds great but by my pecan pie standards i don't know if this would make it for me...not enough pecans! i forgot i actually did make a pecan pie with maple syrup ( not real ) many years ago! but the recipe is lost cos my poor very old pc i had way back in the day died and i had it saved in my favorites :( but this sounds very good :)

you use fake syrup and this recipe with the real deal isn't up to your standards?!  thats blasphemy!  :lol:

Making a simple Hoisin sauce today.  Im subbing sesame butter for peanut butter as I have a huge bag of toasted sesames and they dont store well.  So those are in the processor now.  If recipe is good, I will naturally have to try subbing some maple syrup for the molasses.  Toss that in a beef stir fry with some ginger.

4 tablespoons  soy sauce

2 tablespoons  peanut butter

1 tablespoon  molasses or 1 tablespoon  honey

2 teaspoons  seasoned rice vinegar

1 garlic clove, finely minced

2 teaspoons sesame seed oil

1 teaspoon chinese hot sauce (more or less to taste)

1⁄8teaspoon  black pepper

Whisk to combine in bowl.

2 hours ago, soon said:

you use fake syrup and this recipe with the real deal isn't up to your standards?!  thats blasphemy!  :lol:

Making a simple Hoisin sauce today.  Im subbing sesame butter for peanut butter as I have a huge bag of toasted sesames and they dont store well.  So those are in the processor now.  If recipe is good, I will naturally have to try subbing some maple syrup for the molasses.  Toss that in a beef stir fry with some ginger.

4 tablespoons  soy sauce

2 tablespoons  peanut butter

1 tablespoon  molasses or 1 tablespoon  honey

2 teaspoons  seasoned rice vinegar

1 garlic clove, finely minced

2 teaspoons sesame seed oil

1 teaspoon chinese hot sauce (more or less to taste)

1⁄8teaspoon  black pepper

Whisk to combine in bowl.

you put me to shame with all the things you can do but i have to rep the pecan pie! i am from Texas, we make the best ;) sorry if i offended you :( that recipe sounds wonderful! :)

by the way i have a tip for pumpkin pie...use FRESH ginger, it makes all the difference. people who don't really like pumpkin pie like mine. i remember i tried a recipe for pumpkin pie out of Gourmet magazine once, it called for all these different liqueurs. it was a total failure! but it gave you a little buzz :P

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

6 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

you put me to shame with all the things you can do but i have to rep the pecan pie! i am from Texas, we make the best ;) sorry if i offended you :( that recipe sounds wonderful! :)

by the way i have a tip for pumpkin pie...use FRESH ginger, it makes all the difference. people who don't really like pumpkin pie like mine. i remember i tried a recipe for pumpkin pie out of Gourmet magazine once, it called for all these different liqueurs. it was a total failure! but it gave you a little buzz :P

I haven't tried the maple butter recipe, just thought Id put it up there.  And just goofing around.

That sounds delicious for a pumpkin pie.  Thats a sweet thing I do bake.  Thanks!

Just now, soon said:

I haven't tried the maple butter recipe, just thought Id put it up there.  And just goofing around.

That sounds delicious for a pumpkin pie.  Thats a sweet thing I do bake.  Thanks!

for some reason i can do pies. the birthday cake i made for my friend's party i had to use a mix but i used a ghiradelli one and used butter instead of oil and i made the satin glaze myself :P

and with Cinco de Mayo on Friday i will post the enchilada recipe for anyone interested. i won't be making it for that, it's on a Friday and i plan to go out. it's hard eating Mexican food here, it basically sucks but there is a little hole in the wall place nearby that makes such delicious chile rellenos!

4 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

for some reason i can do pies. the birthday cake i made for my friend's party i had to use a mix but i used a ghiradelli one and used butter instead of oil and i made the satin glaze myself :P

and with Cinco de Mayo on Friday i will post the enchilada recipe for anyone interested. i won't be making it for that, it's on a Friday and i plan to go out. it's hard eating Mexican food here, it basically sucks but there is a little hole in the wall place nearby that makes such delicious chile rellenos!

Please do post enchilada!  I cant believe theres not many meixcan places in Reno.  Theres a lot of really good mexican restaurants where I live even. Thats a shame

14 minutes ago, soon said:

Please do post enchilada!  I cant believe theres not many meixcan places in Reno.  Theres a lot of really good mexican restaurants where I live even. Thats a shame

oh we have tons here, they just suck! :lol: it's an easy recipe cos i don't do rolled up food ( not a skill of mine :facepalm: ) so it's more an enchilada casserole. but the sauce is good. and you can make it either with just cheese or add some kind of protein. i made the one for the bd party with chicken thighs...i prefer dark meat over white, i think it's more flavorful and doesn't dry out as much as b/s chicken IMO. i have converted many people to dark meat! and the ones i used were boneless/skinless too so easy peasy.

My mom cooks dinner everynight during the week. Weekends we usually eat out or get take out.

I rather have a home cooked meal that fast food all the time. Too much salt and I love salt but sometimes it's too much.

Anyway, she makes everything from chicken to her homemade sauce with meat and pasta.

I'm getting hungry now. lol

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

My mom cooks dinner everynight during the week. Weekends we usually eat out or get take out.

I rather have a home cooked meal that fast food all the time. Too much salt and I love salt but sometimes it's too much.

Anyway, she makes everything from chicken to her homemade sauce with meat and pasta.

I'm getting hungry now. lol

sounds nice!  lucky for me my mom isn't a great cook, so I dont miss it :) 

But moms spaghetti.... so good

ok i have tried to find the exact recipe for the enchiladas to no avail. i have been making them so long i know it by heart but i have a tendancy not to use exact measurement...for me cooking is a lot of just instinct. so i will TRY and explain this :P

for the sauce

about 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil

about 2 heaping teaspoons chopped garlic

1/4 cup chopped onions

2 or 3  1 oz packages of hot new mexico chile powder

if you want it spicier ( sometimes i do and sometimes i don't ) use some cayenne. not too much just a little for an added kick

2 cups water

1 cup chicken broth ( i actually use 3 cups of water and a tablespoon of this great product called Better Than Bouillion )

heat the oil til it shimmers. add the onions and cook still softened, add the garlic and the chile powder and stir it and cook it til it is  fragrant ( my stove cooks super hot so i let it cook for about 45 seconds to a minute and keep an eye on it cos it can burn FAST )

add the water and broth. stir it well and keep stirring til it boils for like a minute or so. then lower the heat to medium to medium low depending on your stove. cook about 20 minutes or til the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

then i use a cake size pan and take enough sauce to just kind of cover the bottom of the pan. i use about 9 king size yellow corn tortillas, overlapping them to fit. use half the sauce and top it with about 8 oz. cheese ( monterey jack will do, sometimes i ise a hot pepper jack. depends on your tastes. ) repeat with the second layer. cook in a 425 degree oven about 20 minutes  ( my oven cooks hot to, just cook til the cheese looks nice and melted . )

now if you want to use chicken or beef you can. with beef i used a small chuck roast cooked in a slow cooker til it shreds easily. i strt on high then turn down to low and let cook maybe 6-8 hours. for chicken i get about 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs and cook them til they are done ( sorry this is so vague but this part isn't even in the recipe, it's just some things i have tried. ) i roughly chop the chicken. with either the beef or the chicken i add them right on top of the sauce then add the cheese, same thing for both layers. )

be sure and let the layered enchiladas sit for about 10 minutes so when you cut them they come out in a nice square ( like with lasagna etc. )

i offer sour cream and guacamole on the side. and there you have it!

• Like 1

American Cheese!  aka Processed Cheese, Kraft Cheese Slices 

Made with no un-pronounce-ables and healthy ingredients in their place!  Very easy and quick.  It melts to be just like the slices.  I looks and feels different when raw and is a bit difficult to cut it as thin, but a bit more melty cheese aint the worst thing, right?  When you make a grilled cheese its identical, just with a deeper cheese flavour.   I guess colby was the traditional cheese used before they stopped putting cheese in the slices (its true, no cheese), but of course you can use any similar cheese.  I blended aged cheddar and marble.

1½ teaspoons unflavored gelatin

1 tablespoon water

12 ounces Colby cheese, shredded fine (about 3 cups)

1 tablespoon whole dry milk powder

1 teaspoon salt

⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar

½ cup + 2 tablespoons whole milk

1. Line a 5×4-inch disposable aluminum loaf pan with plastic wrap, using enough so that excess hangs over the sides.  (I use glassware and line with parchment)

2. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small cup and let sit until the gelatin softens, about 5 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, pulse together the shredded cheese, dry milk powder, salt and cream of tartar in a food processor until combined, about 3 pulses.

4. Bring the milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and immediately whisk in the softened gelatin until it is completely dissolved and the mixture is smooth.

5. Turn the food processor on so it is running, then slowly add the hot milk mixture to the cheese mixture until smooth, about 1 minute, scraping down the bowl as needed.

6. Immediately transfer the cheese to the prepared pan. Working quickly, pack the cheese firmly into the loaf pan to eliminate most air pockets, then smooth the top. Fold the overhanging plastic tightly against the surface of the cheese and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. The cheese can be stored in the refrigerator, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, for up to 1 month.

Note: Be sure to use whole dry milk powder, not nonfat dry milk powder, as it will make a difference.  Get a good gelatin, rich in collagen which is good for our joints, bones, hair, skin, nails, etc

http://www.browneyedbaker.com/diy-american-cheese/

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

so Mother's Day is coming up. i always used to make this for my mom and thought some of you might like to try it if you cook a special breakfast or brunch for your moms :)

Joe's Special Casserole

this will feed 4-6 people, if you have more to serve just double the recipe

Ingredients:

4eggs

1tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon butter

1 lb lean ground beef

1 small onion, finely chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained or

2 (6 ounce) bags fresh baby spinach leaves (chop or leave whole)

2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil ( use fresh if possible! )

1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano (use fresh as well if possible )

1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg ( i grate fresh using a microplane grater, it's a million times better tan powdered )

salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Beat the eggs and set aside for step 7.

Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.

When the butter has melted, add the ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crumbly.

Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is tender but not browned.

Stir in the spinach, basil, oregano and nutmeg.

If using fresh spinach, cook until the spinach wilts.

Add the beaten eggs to the beef/spinach mixture and cook until the eggs are set, about 3 minutes.

Add salt and pepper to taste

you could add fresh fruit ( or a fresh fruit salad ) maybe some croissants or popovers ( i love popovers! )

for beverages maybe a special blend of coffee. freshed squeezed orange juice is good or, if mom likes, mimosas are always nice.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i wonder if they have diet gin like the diet vodka?? 

They have diet tonic. But it almost ruins it. I tried Gin and water and it was ghastly. 

I have officiality declared booze non-carb for the purposes of sanity. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Ive also been trying to eat less carbs.  For me its so I can still drink the same amount of carbs I currently do.  Its very difficult.  Sometimes results in me eating more then I would've because I eat a low carb meal and then end up eating a carb after the meal.

Im gonna try eating a carb free meal at dinner only so then if I crave carbs I can have a beer and hope that does the trick.

I have had luck with a lower carb breakfast though, too.  I made what was to me a play on a shakshuka.  It may well be its own preexisting dish for all I know though.

A cream heavy puree of carrots and spinach, seasoned well including hot spices and an acid, with a drop of worschtershire, in a ramekin (prepare the ramekin with plenty of your preferred fat).  Make a little dent and crack an egg in it. Cover and bake until cooked. 

I wouldn't know why, but I dont crave carbs when Ive had this.  Obviously it has some carbs, but I mean for a breakfast I could personally do carbs on carbs on carbs and still crave carbs, so Im happy wth this.

Scalloped Potatoes

Ingredients:

potatoes 

garlic

onion ( I like red)

cheese (I used aged cheddar and marble)

heavy cream

chicken stock

cream cheese (or sour cream)

cayenne pepper

dried dill (or fresh)

nutmeg

butter

salt

pepper

Paprika (optional)

Chives or scallions (optional)

Parmesan (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 (f). Slice garlic (letting it sit exposed to oxygen activates the powerful antioxidants, so slice first).  Cut onion into squares.  Add cream, stock, nutmeg, dill, cayenne to pot and heat on very low with lid on. Once cream mixture is warm, press or dice garlic and add. Shred firm cheeses (different grates can be nice). Use the slicer on the side of an average box-grater to thinly slice peeled potatoes.  Add onion to cream mixture and continue to heat, stirring occasionally.  Butter your cook ware. Lay a single layer of sliced potato, add salt and pepper, spoon over cream mixture including onion and garlic, small dollops of cream cheese, shredded cheese.  Repeat until desired height or full cook ware (leaving some space for cream mixture to bubble).  Add extra shredded cheese and cream mixture to top. Bake until potatoes are fork tender and, if so desired, some crispy edges appear.  Optional bake with paprika on top for colour.  Optional garnish with chives or scallions.  Optional parmesean and black pepper before eating/serving.

Thats me coming close to emulating my Grammas which were otherworldly, but sadly Gramma doesnt recall recipe anymore.  She definelty used cooking onions, not red though.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

Sofrito.  Am I just the last person on Earth to get introduced to this?  Or is it a well kept secret?  It is delicious and super healthy!  Its raw too or tastes great heated.  I've enjoyed it on baked potato and on sliced steak so far.  Even had some with scalloped potatoes and loved it.  

I dont know where to find some of the ingredients.  I used frozen, diced bell peppers from garden and just estimated.  I used extra tomato because I just use the whole pint jar - this also meant my tomatoes were skinless which I like better.  And just onion, garlic and cilantro.  Hard to go wrong with these flavours I guess.  Also, I pureed mine rather then leaving chunky. Tastes great this way too, but heres the proper recipe:

1 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped

1/2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped

5 ajies dulces peppers, tops removed

1-1/2 medium tomatoes, chopped

2 onions, cut into large chunks

1-1/2 medium heads garlic, peeled

12-1/2 cilantro leaves with stems

12-1/2 leaves recao, or culantro

9 g salt

3 g black pepper

In a food processor, combine green peppers, red peppers ajies dulces, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. Add cilantro, recao, salt, and pepper. Process to the consistency of semi-chunky salsa (not watery). Place in a ziplock freezer bag, and use as needed, or freeze in portions.

Recao is a popular Caribbean herb with many aliases. Among them, Culantro, long coriander, ngo-gai, and Mexican coriander. It may possibly be found in Latin grocery stores, or substitute with cilantro.

Aji Dulce is a common ingredient in Puerto Rican recipes. It is a small, sweet red pepper. If you can't find it, use red bell pepper.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/52491/sofrito/

• Like 2