The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

9 hours ago, wasted said:

Sukiyaki could be done on a griddle hot plate. Then put in noodles. They have it in curried sauce too. 

Like terriyaki or korean barbq with the hot plates built into the table. 

I have hot pot set. With hot plate and metal bowl, you put boiling spicy water. Throw in thin slices of beef, pork etc, vegetables. There's mongolian hot pots. Sesame sauce with chilis and garlic or that XO sauce, satay. 

That's what you go on the run with really. 

I gotta get on of those!

Chives started hardening so did the big final harvest and kept the soft ones. Some for a baked potato and the rest I will blend into basil pesto.  Kinda a lazy pesto of:

- fresh basil - genovese and one other type

- chive (optional)

- parmesan 

- olive oil

- lemon juice, squeeze

- salt and pepper

Lazy in that I wont bother to get any nuts. I like to use walnuts but of course pine nuts are traditional.  Lemon also optional and is less for flavour and more to preserve green colour.

In food processor until desired consistency. Everything in processor except oil, pulse 5 times. Start with less oil then you think and slowly drizzle as you process.  I like very smooth.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

i used to ONLY use pine nuts but walnuts to me are the VERY best nut for most pestos :)

@DieselDaisy i am so sick of the poor quality of sushi i am getting...the last one the rice was almost raw and they had the tuna and salmon cut way too thick. since i will be in the Bay Area in November do you know any REAL sushi restaurants like in SF or wherever? thanks! :)

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i used to ONLY use pine nuts but walnuts to me are the VERY best nut for most pestos :)

@DieselDaisy i am so sick of the poor quality of sushi i am getting...the last one the rice was almost raw and they had the tuna and salmon cut way too thick. since i will be in the Bay Area in November do you know any REAL sushi restaurants like in SF or wherever? thanks! :)

I've never been to America in my life haha. I wouldn't know. I love Sushi though.

• Like 1

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i thought you might have read something about a great place :) and you need to come visit! you will probably be horrifed!

With good sushi, the rice should be soft and squidgy and not refrigerated. Sushi has to be freshly prepared in other words. The problem with supermarket sushi - some of which is acceptable if you are in a fix - is they have to prepare it in advance and refrigerate (as it is fish we are dealing with!) so the rice solidifies into this sharp cold object upon which the fish is plonked. There is no way out of this quandary really (for the supermarkets).

Good Japanese restaurants tend to be (perhaps paradoxically) located in or near Chinatowns. San Francisco is (arguably) America's most cosmopolitan city and will have an abundance of good places to eat bona fide sushi.

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

With good sushi, the rice should be soft and squidgy and not refrigerated. Sushi has to be freshly prepared in other words. The problem with supermarket sushi - some of which is acceptable if you are in a fix - is they have to prepare it in advance and refrigerate (as it is fish we are dealing with!) so the rice solidifies into this sharp cold object upon which the fish is plonked. There is no way out of this quandary really (for the supermarkets).

Good Japanese restaurants tend to be (perhaps paradoxically) located in or near Chinatowns. San Francisco is (arguably) America's most cosmopolitan city and will have an abundance of good places to eat bona fide sushi.

thank you! i will do some research :)

Came up with this on the spot last week when my dad came over for lunch. 

Seafood Parmesan Pasta Bake

INGREDIENTS
-Shrimp
-Bow tie and elbow macaroni noodles
-1 block of cream cheese
-Minced Garlic
-1 to 2 cups of milk
-1 package of imitation crab

PREPARATION

1. Put block of cream cheese, 1 cup of milk and minced garlic into a medium sized pot and cook over medium heat

2. Boil bow tie and elbow macaroni noodles (should make about 3 cups of pasta) and shrimp. Dice one package of imitation crab 

3. Whisk cream cheese, milk, and minced garlic until mixture thickens, set aside on low heat, stirring every few minutes

4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit

5. Drain noodles/shrimp and add imitation crab. Dump into casserole dish along with homemade alfredo sauce. Stir together and spread evenly around dish. 

6. Cover top of casserole with parmesan cheese and put in oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.

Edited by Gibson_Guy87
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Came up with this on the spot last week when my dad came over for lunch. 

Seafood Parmesan Pasta Bake

INGREDIENTS
-Shrimp
-Bow tie and elbow macaroni noodles
-1 block of cream cheese
-Minced Garlic
-1 cup of milk
-1 package of imitation crab

PREPARATION

1. Put block of cream cheese, 1 cup of milk and minced garlic into a medium sized pot and cook over medium heat

2. Boil bow tie and elbow macaroni noodles (should make about 3 cups of pasta) and shrimp. Dice one package of imitation crab 

3. Whisk cream cheese, milk, and minced garlic until mixture thickens, set aside on low heat, stirring every few minutes

4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit

5. Drain noodles/shrimp and add imitation crab. Dump into casserole dish along with homemade alfredo sauce. Stir together and spread evenly around dish. 

6. Cover top of casserole with parmesan cheese and put in oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.

Sounds great!  I like the idea of two types of pasta.  Also, it never occurred to me to boil the shrimp and noodles at once.  Thats awesome!

15 minutes ago, soon said:

Sounds great!  I like the idea of two types of pasta.  Also, it never occurred to me to boil the shrimp and noodles at once.  Thats awesome!

It worked surprisingly well haha. I didn't have enough of either type so I just cooked them all together

Edited by Gibson_Guy87
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

It worked surprisingly well haha. I didn't have enough of either type so I just cooked them all together

in cooking sometimes you gotta take risks! i still remember a family dish that went horribly awry....my mom found this recipe called beer braised beef and it was atrocious! we laughed about it for years.

but as my friend Chef David says sometimes things that don't sound like they will work together do. i know by now for my personal taste what herbs to avoid, what meats i can use ( no organ meat ever!!! ) and such. cooking is a great way to express yourself. i am now thinking of what to do for the fourth of July and for Bastille Day. i have like a smidge of French in me but have always been fascinated by their cuisine so i picked Bastille Day to do a French meal every year :)  

• Like 1

as requested ;)

Roman-Style Chicken

Yield:

6 servings

Ingredients:

4 skinless chicken breast halves, with ribs

2 skinless chicken thighs, with bones

1/2 teaspoon salt, plus 1 teaspoon

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus 1 teaspoon

1/4 cup olive oil

1 red bell pepper, sliced

1 yellow bell pepper, sliced

3 ounces prosciutto, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes

1/2 cup white wine

1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves

1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves

1/2 cup chicken stock

2 tablespoons capers

1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

Directions

Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a heavy, large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, cook the chicken until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Keeping the same pan over medium heat, add the peppers and prosciutto and cook until the peppers have browned and the prosciutto is crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, wine, and herbs. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Return the chicken to the pan, add the stock, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 30 minutes.

If serving immediately, add the capers and the parsley. Stir to combine and serve. If making ahead of time, transfer the chicken and sauce to a storage container, cool, and refrigerate. The next day, reheat the chicken to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in the capers and the parsley and serve.

ok another recipe requested by a friend :)

party crab dip

4 1/2

teaspoons unflavored gelatin

1/4

cup cold water

can Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup orCampbell's® Condensed 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup

cup mayonnaise

tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

small onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)

package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into pieces

1/2

teaspoon salt

cans (about 6 ounces each ) lump crabmeat, drained

stalks celery, finely chopped (about 1 cup)

Stir the gelatin and water in a small bowl until the gelatin is softened. Heat the soup, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, onion and cream cheese in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until the cream cheese is melted, stirring often. Add the gelatin mixture and salt and stir until the gelatin is dissolved. Chill in the refrigerator until the mixture is partly set. Gently stir in the crabmeat and celery. Place the crab mixture into a 1 1/2-quart mold and chill until it's firm.

enjoy!

10 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

ok another recipe requested by a friend :)

party crab dip

4 1/2

teaspoons unflavored gelatin

1/4

cup cold water

can Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup orCampbell's® Condensed 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup

cup mayonnaise

tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

small onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)

package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into pieces

1/2

teaspoon salt

cans (about 6 ounces each ) lump crabmeat, drained

stalks celery, finely chopped (about 1 cup)

Stir the gelatin and water in a small bowl until the gelatin is softened. Heat the soup, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, onion and cream cheese in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until the cream cheese is melted, stirring often. Add the gelatin mixture and salt and stir until the gelatin is dissolved. Chill in the refrigerator until the mixture is partly set. Gently stir in the crabmeat and celery. Place the crab mixture into a 1 1/2-quart mold and chill until it's firm.

enjoy!

Thank you!!!  Appreciate you sharing this healing recipe!

So old school, like you saidl!!  Gotta go by the Sally Annes for a similarly old school mold!

Edited by soon

Gonna start marinating a cross rib roast today.  Rosemary taste great wth beef, imo, but also helps to release some of its nutrients!  So ill rub some fresh rosemary on it and marinade with rosemary.  Later pan sear while I baste it in butter and rosemary like the cool chefs on the tv :)

Contemplating sautéing some shiitake in rosemary and butter too, but concerned it'll be rosemary over load.  Maybe oregano?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Gonna start marinating a cross rib roast today.  Rosemary taste great wth beef, imo, but also helps to release some of its nutrients!  So ill rub some fresh rosemary on it and marinade with rosemary.  Later pan sear while I baste it in butter and rosemary like the cool chefs on the tv :)

Contemplating sautéing some shiitake in rosemary and butter too, but concerned it'll be rosemary over load.  Maybe oregano?

maybe thyme? and parsley and sage? lol j/k about the parsley and sage, a little Simon and Garfunkel humor. but thyme might be really good. that roast sounds killer. does this marinade make the meat more tender? idk if we just have crap beef here but i have bought so many cross rib roasts that are tough as heck. cooking them to just a scoche over rare helps :) but i am looking for a great marinade that will tenderize it as well!

you know, i always thought the butter was a trifle overkill but that's just cos i usually make a prime rib if i want to make a roast...prime rib is so well marbled the butter is too fatty. but n a leaner cut of beef it might work! are you using the homemade butter you make :)

do you all get tri tips there? it frustrates me cos they are really tasty and they used to be very inexpensive but then everyone caught on and the price sky rocketed. but they are so good, especially on the BBQ!

15 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

maybe thyme? and parsley and sage? lol j/k about the parsley and sage, a little Simon and Garfunkel humor. but thyme might be really good. that roast sounds killer. does this marinade make the meat more tender? idk if we just have crap beef here but i have bought so many cross rib roasts that are tough as heck. cooking them to just a scoche over rare helps :) but i am looking for a great marinade that will tenderize it as well!

you know, i always thought the butter was a trifle overkill but that's just cos i usually make a prime rib if i want to make a roast...prime rib is so well marbled the butter is too fatty. but n a leaner cut of beef it might work! are you using the homemade butter you make :)

do you all get tri tips there? it frustrates me cos they are really tasty and they used to be very inexpensive but then everyone caught on and the price sky rocketed. but they are so good, especially on the BBQ!

Thyme is a perfect idea for the mushrooms!  Thanks!  Only thing is I dont have time in my next door garden,  I have a bunch at my perennial garden.  So you have solved two issues all at once:  I will transplant some thyme to next door garden!  HA, parsley and sage :) 

It is a very tough cut - why I got the good deal!  I use a lot of apple cider vinegar which works wonders on these types of cuts. And this is pastured beef which has even less fat!  Ahhh!  Low and slow, in the marinade brine. I love the flavour of ACV so Im lucky.  I think when I finish off I will add some balsamic to pair with rosemary.  And as you know to do, I try and remember to cut agsint grain.  And I store its pan gravy which I think/hope also keeps it tender as possible.

No home made butter this time :).  Now Ill just be thinking of you and your prime rib and I take a chain saw to this best of a cut!

I dont know if tri tips are widely popular here, but I think I got one in my delivery.  Ive never cooked one.  If Im not mistaken it cooks to two different heats due to varied thickness?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Thyme is a perfect idea for the mushrooms!  Thanks!  Only thing is I dont have time in my next door garden,  I have a bunch at my perennial garden.  So you have solved two issues all at once:  I will transplant some thyme to next door garden!  HA, parsley and sage :) 

It is a very tough cut - why I got the good deal!  I use a lot of apple cider vinegar which works wonders on these types of cuts. And this is pastured beef which has even less fat!  Ahhh!  Low and slow, in the marinade brine. I love the flavour of ACV so Im lucky.  I think when I finish off I will add some balsamic to pair with rosemary.  And as you know to do, I try and remember to cut agsint grain.  And I store its pan gravy which I think/hope also keeps it tender as possible.

No home made butter this time :).  Now Ill just be thinking of you and your prime rib and I take a chain saw to this best of a cut!

I dont know if tri tips are widely popular here, but I think I got one in my delivery.  Ive never cooked one.  If Im not mistaken it cooks to two different heats due to varied thickness?

um not as much in the variation of the thickness as a flank steak but there is some. i like the middle where it's nice and pink and juicy but the ends are good too. i really want to improve my BBQ skills, been watching this BBQ Pitmasters show and when they show the meat with the burnt ends ( aka meat candy :P ) it makes my mouth water!

ah apple cider vinegar...great marinade idea! and the balsamic vinegar too. yummy! :D

still on the look out for recipes with gelatin :)

20 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

um not as much in the variation of the thickness as a flank steak but there is some. i like the middle where it's nice and pink and juicy but the ends are good too. i really want to improve my BBQ skills, been watching this BBQ Pitmasters show and when they show the meat with the burnt ends ( aka meat candy :P ) it makes my mouth water!

ah apple cider vinegar...great marinade idea! and the balsamic vinegar too. yummy! :D

still on the look out for recipes with gelatin :)

I love that show!  Ive never had the pleasure of eating most of what they cook, but I know that I love it already!  I have tried burnt ends though.  Too good!!!!!!!!!  Total meat candy

Thanks for looking out for gelatin ! :) 

• Like 1