The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

2 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

The Good Life- they were living the dream, weren't they? 

Thanks for the advice on the veg. Didn't realise that broccoli takes two years to grow. I love broccoli though so might try to plant it straight away and look forward to it. 

I think you plant it in spring or summer as any other and it is ready by next summer, so you may have missed the boat there. Do not plant it now or it will not grow. Nothing grows now except pansies. You have to protect the broccoli during the winter - using cloths around the base to keep away the frost. If my memory is correct it arrived early next summer, at around the same time you are planting everything else! It was purple sprouting which I grew. There is probably some version which grows in one year as they have genetically bred all sorts of weird things, including cannabis which grows in England haha!

Generally, most of the stuff goes out in spring and is ready to eat by late-Summer/autumn - same year. Broccoli is different..

One more hint. I started most of my plants off in doors in propagators. They are fairly cheap, or you can even make your own with a tray of some sort and cling film. It protects them from the elements when they're vulnerable. Then when they are sprouting (circa 2-3 inches), plant them in tubs and put them outside. When they're hardier still, plant them in your garden. You gradually introduce them into the elements stage-by-stage. A lot of it is trial and error and you will have some disasters. 

Buy some snail pellets - a must. Also, put Vaseline (no jokes Len) all around any pots and tubs. I had a cannabis plant out this year which got chomped on by a now, presumably stoned, snail.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yay! just one question....what exactly is shit faced Monday? :D

oh and sorry i have no advice, i have the brownest of thumbs :(

Monday nights at our local wine bar. I don't get officially Shit Faced, but I do use my loyalty card frequently. The name was inspired by this:

IMG_1803.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

And next on Arobiekes Christmas Cooking Hour, Rohypnol Egg Nog! 

:lol:

6 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Monday nights at our local wine bar. I don't get officially Shit Faced, but I do use my loyalty card frequently. The name was inspired by this:

IMG_1803.JPG

hahahaha! that is wonderful :P nothing like getting right to the point

ok for those who do Thanksgiving it's next week...yikes! :P

anyone have any great recipes they'd like to share? since i have only a few people come over i like to keep it pretty simple but there are things these people demand like pecan and pumpkin pie ( hint: try fresh ginger in your pumpkin pie, it makes it so much tastier! )

i do not stuff my turkey, it cooks faster in a casserole dish and we all prefer a drier result. so i make what is called dressing ( just stuffing but not cooked in the bird ) it's a recipe i have had in my family for generations. cornbread type.

oh and @Whiskey Rose i will post that recipe for standing rib roast. i am trying to write down precise amounts but the chef i got the recipe from just gave me ingredients and i just eyeball everything! :D

• Like 1

Independence Day is a federal holiday commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence, Thanksgiving is celebrated as a day of giving thanks for the blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year. the Pilgrims had a hard time when they first came here and almost starved but the Native Americans helped them so they had a celebration. that's my vague recollection from my long ago grade school days!

nowadays i cynically think it's more about cooking and eating tons of food, watching football and gearing up for the day after when all the stores sell things really cheaply to kick off shopping season!

this probably does a much better job of explaining Thanksgiving:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

cheers!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Independence Day is a federal holiday commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence, Thanksgiving is celebrated as a day of giving thanks for the blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year. the Pilgrims had a hard time when they first came here and almost starved but the Native Americans helped them so they had a celebration. that's my vague recollection from my long ago grade school days!

nowadays i cynically think it's more about cooking and eating tons of food, watching football and gearing up for the day after when all the stores sell things really cheaply to kick off shopping season!

this probably does a much better job of explaining Thanksgiving:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

cheers!

My little girl was born on Thanksgiving. :D

• Like 2

Ketchup Pasta & Lay's Croutons

1. Boil pasta in salted water. 

2. Put pasta into baking dish. 

3. Add ketchup and stir. 

4. Salt and pepper/chili powder

5. Sprinkle crisps on top. 

6. Lay 8-10 cheese slices. 

7. Put under grill until cheese melts. 

Serve with Tabasco and beer. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

so i promised @Whiskey Rose the recipe for standing rib roast ( we call it prime rib roast here :) ) i have tried without luck to translate how i make it into actual measurements but as i don't have one to experiment on ( they are quite pricey ) i just have to give it as it was given to me from the chef at the restaurant voted best prime rib umpteen times in Sacramento. i am using a 5 lb roast as an example...it should serve 10 people unless they are complete carnivores! i recommend having the butcher take the bones off then tie them back on. that way you get the incomparable flavor of meat on the bone while it cooks but when it comes to carving just snip off the string and it'll be a cinch.

bring the roast to room temp. preheat your oven to 500 degrees. you will need a packet of au jus mix, powdered garlic, pepper and seasoned salt to season it with. just whatever amount looks right to you. either sprinkle your roast with water or oil ( i just use water, the rib roast has enough fat that i don't feel the need for more, but it's whatever you prefer. ) just enough for the seasoning to stick. i mix all the seasonings together in a small bowl then rub it all over the roast. place roast in a roasting pan then stick it in the preheated oven. after browning the roast at a 500°F temperature in the oven for 15 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 325°F. To figure out the total cooking time, allow about 12-14 minutes per pound for rare and 15-17 minutes per pound for medium rare.

be sure and let it rest 15 minutes before carving. hope this helps :)

16 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Gordon Ramsay Scrambled Eggs

1. Crack eggs into a pan
  2. Turn heat up to medium
  3. Tell the eggs they're fucking useless until they appear on your plate

Just kidding, I use this recipe and then use goat cheese in addition to the creme fraiche because I'm indulgent. 

LOL! and the eggs sound yummy :) i use cambozola cheese in my eggs sometimes, great flavor and adds creaminess to the eggs.

15 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Wow you are all too advanced for me. I can make homemade chili or homemade spaghetti but I'm really not that great of a cook. :P

i've been cooking as long as i can remember. i am not a baker, i can kind of bake some things but i don't really like to.. but i love cooking, especially this time of year... soups, stews, all those great comfort foods.

6 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i've been cooking as long as i can remember. i am not a baker, i can kind of bake some things but i don't really like to.. but i love cooking, especially this time of year... soups, stews, all those great comfort foods.

Mom is so OCD about cleaning, I was not allowed in the kitchen growing up. And ever since I left home, I have, for the most part, been the main source of income for the household so I am not very domestically inclined...more of a workaholic.

Just now, BlueJean Baby said:

Mom is so OCD about cleaning, I was not allowed in the kitchen growing up. And ever since I left home, I have, for the most part, been the main source of income for the household so I am not very domestically inclined...more of a workaholic.

oh that's too bad. i learned from both my mom and grandma...i think it runs in my family how to make biscuits and gravy, we just know how! but i also am an avid reader, i will read cookbooks like novels. and working in wholesale produce i got lots of recipes from some top notch chefs. 

3 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Today I made:

One loaf of bread.

Three batches of pesto.

And eight mince pies.

oooh i love fresh baked bread! i do mince "pies" even though here we make little pies...tarts you know?? my bff's mom was from London, her and hubby both and her pies which for long i thought would be gross changed my thinking entirely! they are heavenly :D

• Like 1

this is another thing i throw together as a snack at Christmas time. i get about 6 oz whole pecans and 6 oz whole walnuts in a microwave safe bowl. i throw a goodish size nob of brown sugar on top then i put about  3-4 tablespoons of butter. i top this with a couple teaspoons cinnamon or to taste, a teaspoon of grounds of cloves and cayenne pepper to taste. my microwave is a POS so it may not take you as long to make sure it's done...be careful NOT to burn. then let them spread out on a parchment covered cookie sheet. of people scarf them up either make them a new batch...or the recipe! :) this also work well with cans of mixed nuts tho i always throw in some pecans and walnuts :)

• Like 1