The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

• 2 weeks later...

my friend had a potluck at his work and he was telling me about this soup someone brought...guess it was kind of a variation of one served at Olive Garden. he said instead of spinach this lady used kal and that reminded me of a great soup i got from the chef at a Portuguese restaurant. it's a Portuguese bean soup and it's so yummy and perfect for chilly winter nights :)

here it is:

4 cups small red beans w/enough water to cover

8 cups homemade chicken broth ( i just use this product called Better Than Bouillon, it seems a fine substitute. )

2 tablespoons good olive oil

1 lb linguica ( i have never anything else but i guess any spicy sausage will be ok...no guarantees though :P )

1 cup chopped onions

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon paprika...the good smoky kind

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1/2 teaspoon chili powder ( i use new mexico or california kind )

6 bay leaves

1/2 red wine vinegar

1/2 cup red wine- calls for burgendy but i use merlot. also, i skip the red wine vinegar and just use 1 cup wine but that's just my preference :P 

1 cup tomato puree

2 cups chopped kale

rinse and soak beans overnight. saute the linguica in olive oil to lightly brown, add onion and and saute til they are transparent. add the garlic to saute without browning. i do this on medium low heat as garlic burns very easily.

add the dry spices and mix well. next add the red wine, vinegar and tomato puree. simmer for ten minutes, add the drained beans and chicken stock. simmer one hour or until beans are tender ( it takes a lot longer than 1 hour but i live in a high altitudes. just keep checking until they are very tender but not mushy. )

when ready to serve, saute the chopped kale slowly in one tablespoon olive oil and add to the soup. season with salt to taste ( don't add salt til the soup is done as it will toughen the beans :) )

hope some of you try it and hopefully enjoy it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

my friend had a potluck at his work and he was telling me about this soup someone brought...guess it was kind of a variation of one served at Olive Garden. he said instead of spinach this lady used kal and that reminded me of a great soup i got from the chef at a Portuguese restaurant. it's a Portuguese bean soup and it's so yummy and perfect for chilly winter nights :)

here it is:

4 cups small red beans w/enough water to cover

8 cups homemade chicken broth ( i just use this product called Better Than Bouillon, it seems a fine substitute. )

2 tablespoons good olive oil

1 lb linguica ( i have never anything else but i guess any spicy sausage will be ok...no guarantees though :P )

1 cup chopped onions

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon paprika...the good smoky kind

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1/2 teaspoon chili powder ( i use new mexico or california kind )

6 bay leaves

1/2 red wine vinegar

1/2 cup red wine- calls for burgendy but i use merlot. also, i skip the red wine vinegar and just use 1 cup wine but that's just my preference :P 

1 cup tomato puree

2 cups chopped kale

rinse and soak beans overnight. saute the linguica in olive oil to lightly brown, add onion and and saute til they are transparent. add the garlic to saute without browning. i do this on medium low heat as garlic burns very easily.

add the dry spices and mix well. next add the red wine, vinegar and tomato puree. simmer for ten minutes, add the drained beans and chicken stock. simmer one hour or until beans are tender ( it takes a lot longer than 1 hour but i live in a high altitudes. just keep checking until they are very tender but not mushy. )

when ready to serve, saute the chopped kale slowly in one tablespoon olive oil and add to the soup. season with salt to taste ( don't add salt til the soup is done as it will toughen the beans :) )

hope some of you try it and hopefully enjoy it!

I will try this next week cheers.

• Like 1

I recently got a deep fat fryer so I've been deep frying everything. 

Battered Big Mac in Hershey's Chocolate Sauce

1. Buy a Big Mac Meal. 

2. Put the the Big Mac in and bowl and stir in the Hershey's Chocolate Sauce. 

3. Make sure all the pieces of the Big Mac are seperated and the fries/Mac are fully covered in Chocolate sauce. 

4. Batter. 

5. When you pull it out of the fryer use the Coke to cool it off. Serve and enjoy. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wasted said:

1. Buy a Big Mac Meal. 

3. Make sure all the pieces of the Big Mac are seperated and the fries/Mac are fully covered in Chocolate sauce. 

4. Batter. 

5. When you pull it out of the fryer use the Coke to cool it off. Serve and enjoy. 

sounds yummy! :lol:

On 14/01/2017 at 8:49 AM, wasted said:

1. Buy a Big Mac Meal. 

4. Batter. 

A Scotsman's Hors d'oeuvre?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ok so it's getting close to St. Patrick's Day so for those who celebrate but have never done a corned beef but would like to try it here are a few tips! first there are three kinds of corned beef, bottom round, eye of round and brisket. go with the brisket. there is fat in the brisket ( if you don't eat fat even for one day i would suggest no corned beef. maybe a nice irish stew instead :) ) that gives it a great beefy flavor and is more moist and tender. the other two will be very dry. second don't boil the beef, keep it at a low simmer. you can cook it in the vacuum sealed bag of you like, it will keep the flavor in. but if you can't find one with the spices ON it instead of in it open it and sprinkle the spices in the pot. also, of you cook it with potatoes ans carrots it gives them that wonderful flavor as well. cook according to package directions. it usually takes about 3 to 3 and a half hours. i recommend getting a large one as the leftovers make wonderful sandwiches. use a large enough pan, you don't want to crowd it. if you want to use cabbage it might be fun to try a napa cabbage or a savoy as they are milder in flavor. if you do try this taitneamh a bhaint as! Erin go bragh y'all! :D

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

On 12/31/2016 at 3:04 PM, Gracii Guns said:

My mygnrforum secret Santa ? gave me this- which I am so excited for! I'm actually hosting a party on Friday, so will make cake pops for it then! 

IMG_3267.JPG

My friend had one of those. She used to use it to make takoyaki.

• Like 1

oops one more quick thing about the corned beef. if you do the potatoes and carrots i suggest yukon gold potatoes, the smaller the better. you won't even have to peel them and they are so better than those waxy red ones. to me anyway...if you feel strongly about red potatoes, my goodness, go for it!

4 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

oops one more quick thing about the corned beef. if you do the potatoes and carrots i suggest yukon gold potatoes, the smaller the better. you won't even have to peel them and they are so better than those waxy red ones. to me anyway...if you feel strongly about red potatoes, my goodness, go for it!

Corned beef comes in can with a key on it here, Is that what you make? without the can and key obvs:lol:

• Like 1

Just now, janrichmond said:

Corned beef comes in can with a key on it here, Is that what you make? without the can and key obvs:lol:

no no no! it's fresh ( well it has been cured but you have to cook it! ) and it is so much better than canned. you can't get it fresh there? i wonder if i could send you one :lol:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

ok i just looked and it looks yummy but nothing like the tinned stuff (which i actually like)

it is! idk if your canned stuff is like ours...we have something called corned beef hash which is all mashed up?

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose