Black Mirror (Netflix Series)

alfierose

Anyone watched any of these?

I watched 3 episodes last night, I'd forgotten how thought provoking they can be. Not watched any since the earlier series aired on the BBC, now Netflix has commissioned them there is more of a US slant and maybe a bigger production budget. Visually I think it's the best series yet.

So far I've seen: 

Nosedive - Bryce Dallas Howard is very good in this and I love the pastel thematics. Made me think of the 'Like' system we have on the forum! :lol:

Playtest - Very fucked up, horror fans will enjoy this one. The guy playing the lead is Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell's son, I found him annoying initially but realised by the end that was probably intentional - he's actually a pretty good actor.

San Junipero - This is the 4th episode, I skipped to this one because I wanted something more light hearted after Playtest. Really loved it - anyone who likes 80's nostalgia will enjoy this. Needs concentration especially in the first half, it's not Black Mirror's usual style but done very well.

Going to watch some more later.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Dan H. said:

Season 3 was a little underwhelming with the exception of San Junipero, which may be the best episode of the whole series.

I really enjoyed the bee drone one too

That episode is getting a ton love, on many blogs and in magazines, that I read for "Best of 2016". Not getting it. I really did not like any episode of the new season, except for the one about roaches (I served in the military).

Big Black Mirror film. First season, should be required viewing for everyone on the face of the earth, before they are able to use the internet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I was halfway through season 4, when a hugely ambitious episode popped up. I thought this is interesting, not sure where this is going... I was thinking it was very artsy, because it was clearly made in Spain and dubbed over. Then at the end, I kept thinking I have no idea what the twist is.

Then the titles started rolling and I was a bit confused, then it popped up play episode 2 of Cable Girls...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Season 4 on Friday. Will binge watch. 

If it wasn't for this and Stranger Things, I wouldn't have forgave them for the past few seasons of House of Cards.

-edit-

Okay so I seen. It was mostly good, but perhaps not as strong as last season. Only real issue was the standard lack of episodes.

Despite being the least Black Mirror-ish, Hang the DJ was probably my favorite this season.

Edited by AtariLegend

30 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I watched the first episode of Season 4 yesterday. Won't have time to get back to it until Tuesday or so, but very much looking forward to it.

I binged them all yesterday. I don't think it was as good as the last season but still decent overall. My top 3 were Hang the DJ, USS Callister and Metalhead. 

Metalhead in particular seems to have been badly received but I really liked it, it's beautifully shot.

Least favourite was Arkangel, the concept could have been one of the best but I think it really fell short with where they took it and it was just a bit meh.

On 12/30/2017 at 10:27 AM, alfierose said:

I binged them all yesterday. I don't think it was as good as the last season but still decent overall. My top 3 were Hang the DJ, USS Callister and Metalhead. 

Metalhead in particular seems to have been badly received but I really liked it, it's beautifully shot.

Least favourite was Arkangel, the concept could have been one of the best but I think it really fell short with where they took it and it was just a bit meh.

Arkangel was the least compelling episode for me as well. Callister and Hang The Dj were a trip.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2017 at 8:27 AM, alfierose said:

^this.

I'm only 4 episodes in, and so far the episodes are good, but kind of a letdown after the 3rd season. USS Callister was another one that was better on paper, it was better executed than Arkangel but there was still something off. Hang The DJ was probably the best so far.

• Like 1

I personally think Black Museum was the most disappointing, because of lack of originality yet still would have liked it as a random middle of the season show.

Doing a story that's set in the same world and has call backs to older episodes seems to soon as the 19th episode in an anthology series. It's kind of something that should be done at the end or near it of a series that's been running for a few more series.

I love the show, but people who never heard of the show prior to San Junipero probably have different expectations that some of us that watched it since it was on channel 4.

15 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm only 4 episodes in, and so far the episodes are good, but kind of a letdown after the 3rd season. USS Callister was another one that was better on paper, it was better executed than Arkangel but there was still something off. Hang The DJ was probably the best so far.

Never mind, Metalhead was definitely my least favorite. Might be the worst episode of the series tbh...

• Like 1

On 02/01/2018 at 7:50 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Never mind, Metalhead was definitely my least favorite. Might be the worst episode of the series tbh...

That seems to be the overriding opinion, guess I'm a minority in liking it. I know the story wasn't very fleshed out but it was so bleak it had a sort of beauty to it.

On 03/01/2018 at 4:12 AM, RussTCB said:

Finished the season earlier tonight. Black Museum was excellent. 

I got a bit bored of this one part way through although the stories within the story were more interesting than the museum part I thought.