Tommy Stinson: Axl Has A Heart Of Gold - Split With Slash Was Like Your Brother Leaving You

57 minutes ago, GNRmello77 said:

thats very sweet of him to say, and I think people have always underestimated what Slash meant to Axl and what kind of mark his leaving left on Axl personally

Yes, everything we know indicates that Slash leaving severely affected Axl and drove him even crazier than he already was, and yet some people persist with this "they weren't even that close" nonsense.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Frey said:

Yes, everything we know indicates that Slash leaving severely affected Axl and drove him even crazier than he already was, and yet some people persist with this "they weren't even that close" nonsense.

Even Slash knew he felt that Axl felt abandoned. I remember him saying in some interview (forgot where, so no source, either phone interview of a Howard Stern type interview) that he thinks Axl felt abandoned because of his childhood stuff.

1 hour ago, 3rd Wheel said:

Did Axl feel more abandoned when Slash left or when Izzy left? It's an interesting question.

Oddly I think Axl was better with Izzy leaving bc he thought Izzy would go off and be happy. Axl wanted to make Slash happy by being the greatest band ever and seeing him realize his potential, so in a way Axl saw Izzy leaving as Izzy walking away happy and sober but with Slash he was watching someone he felt was throwing away his talent and ultimately throwing away his life. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mendez said:

Even Slash knew he felt that Axl felt abandoned. I remember him saying in some interview (forgot where, so no source, either phone interview of a Howard Stern type interview) that he thinks Axl felt abandoned because of his childhood stuff.

That's interesting. I've seen Slash saying that he thinks Axl felt abandoned by him, but I've never heard him linking it back to Axl's childhood issues. Any of the Slaxl experts here know this interview? @Blackstar @Asia @killuridols @giuls @MillionsOfSpiders @dgnr etc.?

7 hours ago, 3rd Wheel said:

Did Axl feel more abandoned when Slash left or when Izzy left? It's an interesting question.

5 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Oddly I think Axl was better with Izzy leaving bc he thought Izzy would go off and be happy. Axl wanted to make Slash happy by being the greatest band ever and seeing him realize his potential, so in a way Axl saw Izzy leaving as Izzy walking away happy and sober but with Slash he was watching someone he felt was throwing away his talent and ultimately throwing away his life. 

Axl freaked out pretty badly and had some kind of crying fit when Izzy left too, but ultimately I think Slash leaving had the bigger impact on him, yeah.
He even said so himself. All this talk about how Slash kept him from making new music etc. And this:

"I never said that I was bitter," Rose explains, characteristically concerned with making fine distinctions. "Hurt, yeah. Disappointed. I mean, with Slash, I remember crying about all kinds of things in my life, but I had never felt hot, burning tears … hot, burning tears of anger. Basically, to me, it was because I am watching this guy and I don't understand it. Playing with everyone from Space Ghost to Michael Jackson. I don't get it. I wanted the world to love and respect him. I just watched him throw it away." (Rolling Stone, 2000)

As someone pointed out to me, he's basically saying he'd never cried about anyone or anything the way he cried about Slash. They're fucked up.

Edited by Frey

• 2 weeks later...

From a new interview with Tommy:

November 7, 2016

Much of the Anything Could Happen material comes from songs he and Chip Roberts wrote. The emphasis of the project was about making a live sounding album band album.   “All of the drums, bass and guitar, were cut live in a short amount of time, which captures the excitement of a new song, which is kind of the only thing that I know how to do that excites me,” Stinson said. “The total opposite end of that is sitting in a studio for ten years making a record.”  

While this may sound like a bitter jab at Axl Rose and the Chinese Democracy sessions, he said he holds no ill will towards Rose or his departure from Guns N’ Roses. He has seen the reunion lineup with Slash and Duff McKagan perform twice, and he enjoyed it both times.  

“I’ve got nothing but positive things to say today,” Stinson said. “I think no matter what, it would have happened anyway at some point. It was inevitable, and it should have, and I’m glad for them.”

https://www.dailyemerald.com/2016/11/07/tommy-stinson-talks-replacements-history-portland-performs-eugene-living-room/