"NOW I KNOW HOW MIKE CLINK FELT WHEN GN'R GOT SHELVED" - Toby Wright, Top Musical Producer, April 2014

I will try to make this short

MITCH LAFON (rock journalist) is interviewing TOBY WRIGHT (top music producer) in April 2014.

They are talking about the KISS album CARNIVAL OF SOULS, which Toby produced around 1994. Toby says that the album got shelved because GENE SIMMONS received a 100 million dollars offer to to the Kiss reunion thing. Toby says that he was "hurt" and "let down" because the album got shelved because of the reunion.

Toby Wright says "NOW I KNOW HOW MIKE CLINK FELT WHEN GN'R GOT SHELVED"

My question is...

What exactly GNR got shelved?

The Slash/Snakepit songs that Axl rejected?

The 1994-1996 sessions (Axl, Slash, Duff and who knows who else)?

Axl solo era?

Some other time like (i know its not likely) Illusion era?

You can start watching at 25m20s mark on the Youtube video below, to have a sense of what they are talkig about.

Toby gives the quote on 26m23s mark.

(I recommend the entire interview. These interviews with producers are really great)

• Like 2

I'd love to know the answers to your questions @ludurigan. Having said that, Carnival Of Souls is a bad ass album and highly under-rated. I've played that album for a LOT of people without telling them it's KISS and they always like it, then they're always surprised when they find out who it is.

• Like 1

Clink did start off working on the CD project. But maybe this goes back to 96?

A few people have mentioned that songs in the CD mix were often originated in the old band. Most recently Fortus. But Tommy sort of came into that situation. 

I think Beavan took over from Clink in 97-8?

3 hours ago, eggers said:

I will never understand appeal of KISS, terrible band. Listening to cuts off this album, hilarious!

This is really not the album to judge KISS, Carnival of Souls is like the KISS Chinese Democracy but worse. 

Since the interview was in 2014 and Mike Clink was no longer involved with GN'R (plus the reunion was not official yet) , it's safe to say that it had nothing to do with a follow up to CD getting shelved because of this reunion.   So logic would dictate that it was more than likely the follow up to Illusions that was shelved when Axl & Co couldn't get along from circa 1994-1996.

From wikipedia:

In May 1994, Gilby Clarke mentioned in an interview that there was "no 'next' Guns N' Roses album" adding, "We started working on one, and it got canned."[110] Sorum described the would-be album as "not as sophisticated as Illusion, but not as wild as Appetite".[108] The album was also described as consisting of "up-tempo rock songs" with "no ballads", according to Duff McKagan.[111] In a 2002 interview, Rose complimented the guitar work Slash had layed down, saying it was the "best playing [he's] done at least since Illusions" Rose mentioned the material was scrapped due to the lack of collaboration between band members.[

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

I have to think that as long as a band's brand is active, there is always "something in the works". Whether it's a produced recorded song, a sheet of music, even a riff, there's always something sitting around that could potentially be released. GNR never died, hence its many shelves.

On 10/29/2016 at 1:18 AM, Kasanova King said:

Since the interview was in 2014 and Mike Clink was no longer involved with GN'R (plus the reunion was not official yet) , it's safe to say that it had nothing to do with a follow up to CD getting shelved because of this reunion.   So logic would dictate that it was more than likely the follow up to Illusions that was shelved when Axl & Co couldn't get along from circa 1994-1996.

From wikipedia

In May 1994, Gilby Clarke mentioned in an interview that there was "no 'next' Guns N' Roses album" adding, "We started working on one, and it got canned."[110] Sorum described the would-be album as "not as sophisticated as Illusion, but not as wild as Appetite".[108] The album was also described as consisting of "up-tempo rock songs" with "no ballads", according to Duff McKagan.[111] In a 2002 interview, Rose complimented the guitar work Slash had layed down, saying it was the "best playing [he's] done at least since Illusions" Rose mentioned the material was scrapped due to the lack of collaboration between band members.[

Reading this really adds to my desire to hear another GN'R record

• Like 1

On 10/29/2016 at 1:07 PM, default_ said:

This is really not the album to judge KISS, Carnival of Souls is like the KISS Chinese Democracy but worse. 

I am well aware of their other material. I think if you took tracks from the first three albums you could get an ok album. 

If only the New York Dolls hadn't destroyed themselves...

On 10/30/2016 at 7:48 PM, PirateRadio said:

I have to think that as long as a band's brand is active, there is always "something in the works". Whether it's a produced recorded song, a sheet of music, even a riff, there's always something sitting around that could potentially be released. GNR never died, hence its many shelves.

i am afraid with GNR it works the exact opposite way

there are tons of stuff in the vault and nothing ever seem to be in the works