The True Story Behind Coma

This is the one song that has been consistently better during the NITLT than the 4 live performances from the 1990's.   Axl nails it now, especially the insanely difficult to sing ending....while in the 90's live versions he would skip parts or his voice just wouldn't keep up with the demand of the song at the end.  Kudos to Axl for bringing it all during Coma now.

• Like 2

I already knew this story about Axl overdosing, but not about Slash's part in it.

Also the part with the doctors and nurses is supposed to be the actual recording of what happened to Axl in the emergency room.

I'm so glad Axl made it through along with the rest of the guys.

Amazing song. So glad they added it to the tour.

On 10/29/2016 at 2:44 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I already knew this story about Axl overdosing, but not about Slash's part in it.

Also the part with the doctors and nurses is supposed to be the actual recording of what happened to Axl in the emergency room.

I'm so glad Axl made it through along with the rest of the guys.

Amazing song. So glad they added it to the tour.

i knew everything said about the song except didn't know the other dates they played it and didn't know that was the recording of emergency room - there is probably still a ton of real interesting anecdotes from axl's perspective that nobody has a clue about

• Like 1

On 10/30/2016 at 5:15 PM, double talkin jive mfkr said:

this might be the best axl sounds on certain highlights of the song 

I haven't commented on here in a while....so I'm sure everyone will disagree with me.  I know there's been a lot of complaints about the song tempos being sped up.  But, this sounds more sped up to me than any of the versions Of Coma I've heard or seen during the Re-Grouping.  Is it just me?

There's also this about the story of the song:

AXL: At times I enjoy writing, and other times I just hate it because it's definitely having to go back and experience some pain and express how you really feel. Sometimes the writing ends up being cathartic in the long run, but, like writing "Coma" on Use Your Illusion was so heavy I'd start to write and I'd just pass out. I tried to write that song for a year, and I couldn't. I went to write it at the studio and I passed out. I woke up two hours later and sat down and just wrote the whole end of the song, like, just off the top of my head. It was like, I don't even know what's coming out, man, but it's coming. I think one of the best things that I've ever written was maybe the end segment of the song "Coma." It just poured out. I thanked Slash for that, because I used to curse him, going, "Man, that son of a bitch has written this thing and I've got to write to it and I don't know what to write." It was so hard; it made me feel like, "I don't know how to write. I should just quit." [Laughs] But I finally did [write it], and I ended up feeling a lot better about a lot of situations that I expressed in that song.

http://www.oocities.org/rattlesnake_suitcase/intmag92.htm

• Like 3